LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 312 users in the forums

Was Russell Wilson's game losing INT the most preventable SB loss of all time?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Was Russell Wilson's game losing INT the most preventable SB loss of all time?

Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Yup. SEA was expecting a timeout, when it didn't come, they went into panic mode and didn't have enough time to use their brains.

This is totally on coaching. Never assume anything, especially against Bellicheat.

My 2 cents for what it's worth....this was NOT on coaching. This was on RW. With 1 TO and less than a minute, that 2nd down play HAD TO BE a pass. Except, just like CK in the NFCCG, he threw to the wrong guy. Watch the play at the top of the screen, Lynch goes off to the corner of the end zone completely alone. He shoulda thrown it to him to be caught by the pile on. Either he does or incomplete and the clock stops. 3rd down run. Then TO. Then 4th down run. Lynch would have gotten in eventually.

Originally posted by niner4life21:
Yeah, because I know what it feels like to see my team's players get hit with cheap shot after cheap shot when they play up in Seattle.

Yes, because I have seen Navorro Bowman get POPCORN thrown at him after tearing multiple knee ligaments, in SEATTLE.

Yes, because I have heard the non-stop, never-ending b******t and arrogant obnoxious talk from Hawks fans time and time again the last few seasons.

And now that you all lost and got humiliated, you expect US to welcome your modesty and humble approach to our website. LOL GTFO

….we all know exactly how your team along with your fans would be acting had they won last night.

Pathetic.

Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Don't forget the banner flying, purchasing our bricks, the baseless kap and JH bashing, Sherman's rant etc....

Reap what you sow 1-2s.

Competitors should act humble in victory and gracious in defeat. SEA acts arrogant and cocky and disrespectful in victory and ever moreso in defeat.

haha

My sentiments EXACTLY
[ Edited by MrRedDogSF on Feb 25, 2015 at 1:19 PM ]
  • bors
  • Veteran
F them
Originally posted by bors:
F them

Amen.

And to Zaghawk & LisaTwelve, all any of us need to do to be snapped back from polite to being a d**** to your fanbase and team is 10 seconds on .NUT. Until those guys show some respect for the 49ers (they won't), don't expect things to be all nice and lovey dovey here.

There's maybe 2 or 3 tops that are ok, the rest are extreme Hawk Homers and Niner Haters.
Belicheat got lucky, and sometimes it's better to be lucky then good.

Seattle had probably the worst play call in the history of the super bowl! I thought the NINERS not running vs the Ravens was bad, but this takes the cake.
Lynch almost broke it to the house, maybe a challenge could of shown he did break the plain, but regardless, all seattle had to do was go in the huddle and say "S-O-S". And they score a TD.

In all honesty, the play call wasn't all that terrible, lynch was wide open in the flat, and even then if wilson throws it at his chest and not lead him, it's a TD
  • CMIO
Funny thing is RW goes to the sideline and asks Petey "what happened ?". There's your franchise quarterback...makes a boneheaded play, and doesn't even understand why it didn't work and how it broke down.

RW is a "teacher's pet"...he doesn't have the instincts to read defenses. He can only do what he's told and that's why without a sound running game / defense, he's an avg QB at best.
Originally posted by solidg2000:

Seattle had probably the worst play call in the history of the super bowl! I thought the NINERS not running vs the Ravens was bad, but this takes the cake.
Lynch almost broke it to the house, maybe a challenge could of shown he did break the plain, but regardless, all seattle had to do was go in the huddle and say "S-O-S". And they score a TD.

In all honesty, the play call wasn't all that terrible, lynch was wide open in the flat, and even then if wilson throws it at his chest and not lead him, it's a TD

1) Seahawks got lucky to be in the position to begin with. That catch Kearse made on 3rd down was a miracle catch, had the Seahawks won the game, I honestly think that's a bigger SB Miracle catch than the Giants Helmet one. But Seahawks lost, so it doesn't matter anymore.
2) All season media loves to talk about Seattle's "attitude" being that they don't do anything special, no disguises, they are going to do what they do on offense and defense, but they are going to out-execute you. Playcaller saw a goal line defense and rather than stick with the above, he decided to adapt rather than hand the ball off and shove it down your throat (PC said throw it, RW also chose not to audible out of this play call and that's what happens when you suddenly don't stick to your guns).
3) Lockette could have tried harder
4) RW could have thrown the ball better (or to someone else), or as everyone figured on QB Monday fake hand off, roll out, run it in yourself and/or float it to the corner.
5) Kearse didn't do his assignment
6) Browner knew what was coming and stopped Kearse
7) Malcolm Butler made a great play
8) Belichick practiced for this particular playcall, so great coaching on his end and for not calling a timeout and allowing Seattle to get a free run forcing the pass

Bottomline this win/loss is a combination of everything above. I'm leaning more on the failures of Seattle than the excellent execution/prep/coaching of the Patriots, but it was still a combination of all of it.
The Seahawks were incredibly lucky just to get there. The Packers basically gave them the Championship game.
Originally posted by solidg2000:

How did he get lucky?

They prepared for that exact play call in practice. The rookie CB said he recognized it Bc Belicheat went over it with him
Originally posted by crake49:
The Seahawks were incredibly lucky just to get there. The Packers basically gave them the Championship game.

In hindsight I'm so glad the Packers blew that game at the end......
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Originally posted by crake49:

In hindsight I'm so glad the Packers blew that game at the end......

Both the Packers AND the Seahawks get their hearts broken..... yeah, that works for me.

I saw a Madden Sim showing the "alternate ending".....and it was wrong -- 1st & goal clock stopped, when in reality it was 2nd and goal clock running.

I believe in hindsight it wasn't a terrible call to throw the ball. In fact I think it might have been the RIGHT call. Let me explain:

With just *1* timeout to go and 2nd and goal from the 1, if the Seahawks rush with Lynch and FAIL, they will have to immediately call time out, and now it's 3rd and goal with 0 timeouts and maybe 25-30 seconds left in the game. At this point, running the ball with Lynch is risky if he fails because now it's 4th down so forget the spike. They'll have to basically line up and call some sort of play and who wants to just wing it for the biggest 3rd or 4th and goal of their life?

Now I'm not 100% certain about this but when Kearse made that circus catch and they ran another play, I don't think the Hawks made any substitutions before calling that run play to Lynch from the 5 yard line (that got to the 1). This is somewhat important because the Hawks did not have their power sub package in the game at the time. To run the ball with Lynch it looked like it had to be done from a spread formation of some sort (kinda like what they did ultimately call), and I believe the Patriots were in goal line defense already. Maybe this is why Belichick didn't call time out.....to force the Seahawks to run a play without their power package?

Also recall the stat that Lynch has only been 1/5 from the 1 yard line all season.....

With a throw on 2nd and goal, you either get the winning TD or (hopefully) just an incomplete pass. Then on 3rd and goal from the 1 you can line up power with Lynch. And with that extra time out you can wind it down to 5 seconds left and end the game on a 4th and goal from the 1 and call whatever you want, including another run with Lynch.

The Hawks having only one time out versus two looks like it cost them the Super Bowl. Had the Hawks called pass on 2nd and goal with 2 timeouts and the pick happened, it would be inexcusable.

The way it played out, it probably was the right call.

What was wrong about it was probably the slant....and of course Wilson not showing his veteran ways on that play, combined with an incredible play by Butler (and Brandon Browner) and a less than stellar job by Lockette.

Perfect storm to end the Seahawks season.

But then again the Seahawks have relied on perfect storms to save their butts time and time again. And this is how the football universe resolved it.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
I saw a Madden Sim showing the "alternate ending".....and it was wrong -- 1st & goal clock stopped, when in reality it was 2nd and goal clock running.

I believe in hindsight it wasn't a terrible call to throw the ball. In fact I think it might have been the RIGHT call. Let me explain:

With just *1* timeout to go and 2nd and goal from the 1, if the Seahawks rush with Lynch and FAIL, they will have to immediately call time out, and now it's 3rd and goal with 0 timeouts and maybe 25-30 seconds left in the game. At this point, running the ball with Lynch is risky if he fails because now it's 4th down so forget the spike. They'll have to basically line up and call some sort of play and who wants to just wing it for the biggest 3rd or 4th and goal of their life?

Now I'm not 100% certain about this but when Kearse made that circus catch and they ran another play, I don't think the Hawks made any substitutions before calling that run play to Lynch from the 5 yard line (that got to the 1). This is somewhat important because the Hawks did not have their power sub package in the game at the time. To run the ball with Lynch it looked like it had to be done from a spread formation of some sort (kinda like what they did ultimately call), and I believe the Patriots were in goal line defense already. Maybe this is why Belichick didn't call time out.....to force the Seahawks to run a play without their power package?

Also recall the stat that Lynch has only been 1/5 from the 1 yard line all season.....

With a throw on 2nd and goal, you either get the winning TD or (hopefully) just an incomplete pass. Then on 3rd and goal from the 1 you can line up power with Lynch. And with that extra time out you can wind it down to 5 seconds left and end the game on a 4th and goal from the 1 and call whatever you want, including another run with Lynch.

The Hawks having only one time out versus two looks like it cost them the Super Bowl. Had the Hawks called pass on 2nd and goal with 2 timeouts and the pick happened, it would be inexcusable.

What was wrong about it was probably the slant....and of course Wilson not showing his veteran ways on that play, combined with an incredible play by Butler (and Brandon Browner) and a less than stellar job by Lockette.

But then again the Seahawks have relied on perfect storms to save their butts time and time again. And this is how the football universe resolved it.

Problem with your theory that it was "probably the right call"........
1. Hand the ball to lynch who 99% of the time gets at least 2 yards, or fake handoff to lynch and wilson runs it himself the other way. No chance for fumble. This guarantees a 2nd attempt if you fail. Reset quickly and run or pass on this down.
2. Pass - good chance of interception -
Originally posted by bors:
F them

Amen.

And to Zaghawk & LisaTwelve, all any of us need to do to be snapped back from polite to being a d**** to your fanbase and team is 10 seconds on .NUT. Until those guys show some respect for the 49ers (they won't), don't expect things to be all nice and lovey dovey here.

There's maybe 2 or 3 tops that are ok, the rest are extreme Hawk Homers and Niner Haters.

Sadly I think there are a few folks I dislike on .NET as much as on here, and what makes it worse is we share the same team where as on here I can at least point to the issue being that where fans of rival teams. Basically if I'm not nose deep up every Seahawk players butt greatly approving of everything he says or does (outside of PEDs or something that breaks the law), I'm a bad fan.

it's a start........
Share 49ersWebzone