LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 213 users in the forums

Lose Lose situation for the Super Bowl. Who will you cheer for?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Lose Lose situation for the Super Bowl. Who will you cheer for?

Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by theduke85:
The "never lost a Super Bowl" stuff is absolute, 100% nonsense.

Sports fans -- not just Niners fans -- have this ridiculous romanticized views of championship games. If you lose one, it's somehow a huge blemish on your legacy. I lost count of the number of Niners fans on this board that complained that losing the Super Bowl to the Ravens "tainted" our perfect Super Bowl record.

How in the hell is losing early in the playoffs better than losing in the Super Bowl? It's not, but somehow people actually delude themselves into believing that. Okay, sure, as a fan, losing the Super Bowl might be more heartbreaking, but the fact that people hold it against players/teams is absolutely laughable.

Let's say Brady's career lasted only three seasons. Further, let's say Montana's career lasted only three seasons.
Suppose Montana won two Super Bowls, and in his other season, he lost in the first round of the playoffs.
Suppose Brady went to the Super Bowl every, but only won two of the three times.
There are people on this board that will tell you that Montana being 2-0 in the Super Bowl (and losing in the first round his other year) is somehow better than Brady being 2-1 in the Super Bowl. Finishing 1st, 1st and 8th is better than finishing 1st, 1st and 2nd.

Brady losing Super Bowls does not taint his legacy. LeBron losing NBA Finals does not taint his legacy. I have no idea how people can rationalize something like that. It's absolutely absurd.

Very well said.
Who's talking about "Legacy". We're all arguing who the best Super Bowl QB of all time is. Montana vs. Brady vs. ??

And btw, Brady's legacy is already tainted (you know why). And so is Lebron's (for predicting 7 championships; lolz).

Let's put this to rest. Joe Montana earned his SB wins by throwing game winning touchdowns. It's the reason he earned his nickname, "Joe Cool"Brady finished his SuperBowl wins by passing the ball off to Adam Vinatieri. And Brady will FOREVER have an asterix next to his rings. And you all know what the asterix will point to.

So because Brady didn't have to throw a game winning touchdown, that makes him not as good as Montana? He did what he needed to do to win the game....He got his team in field goal position, and they won it that way.

Brady's legacy is tainted because he let some air out of the footballs?

It may seem trivial but it will be part of his Legasy. Humans are funny like that. Years from now whenever there is talk of Brady, people will think of the inflated balls. It will follow him. It will always be there no matter how silly it may be. Unfortunately for Brady.
Originally posted by trooper49:
And losing two Super Bowls can't be ignored. Losing the biggest game of all matters. A lot!
Totally disagree. Every game in the playoffs, Super Bowl or not, is win-or-go-home. If losing in the Super Bowl "matters a lot", then losing before you even get there matters even more (for instance, Peyton Manning is infamous for his numerous one-and-done playoff appearances). I really just don't see how people can rationalize this.

If New England wins on Sunday, Brady will have appeared in 6 Super Bowls and will have won 4. How is that worse than appearing in 4 and winning 4? That just means all of those others seasons, Montana failed to reach the Super Bowl in the first place, an even bigger blemish than losing one.

I mean, I get the whole, "oh, it's the Super Bowl, it's for all the marbles, you gotta dig deep and find that 5th gear" narrative... but c'mon, it's the playoffs, a player shouldn't have a hidden 5th gear the save for the Super Bowl, they should be laying everything on the line all throughout the playoffs. People rag on Brady for losing Super Bowls, but how often do people try to discredit Montana for losing other playoffs games? It's unreasonable. It's silly. It's a romanticized view of reality.
[ Edited by theduke85 on Jan 26, 2015 at 2:34 PM ]
And losing two Super Bowls can't be ignored. Losing the biggest game of all matters. A lot!
Totally disagree. Every game in the playoffs, Super Bowl or not, is win-or-go-home. If losing in the Super Bowl "matters a lot", then losing before you even get there matters even more (for instance, Peyton Manning is infamous for his numerous one-and-done playoff appearances). I really just don't see how people can rationalize this.

If New England wins on Sunday, Brady will have appeared in 6 Super Bowls and will have won 4. How is that worse than appearing in 4 and winning 4? That just means all of those others seasons, Montana failed to reach the Super Bowl in the first place, an even bigger blemish than losing one.

I mean, I get the whole, "oh, it's the Super Bowl, it's for all the marbles, you gotta dig deep and find that 5th gear" narrative... but c'mon, it's the playoffs, a player shouldn't have a hidden 5th gear the save for the Super Bowl, they should be laying everything on the line all throughout the playoffs. People rag on Brady for losing Super Bowls, but how often do people try to discredit Montana for losing other playoffs games? It's unreasonable. It's silly. It's a romanticized view of reality.

I agree.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:

I agree.

Jim Kelly made it to 4 straight Super Bowls and lost everyone. Nobody is impressed by that.
Originally posted by SFGiant49ers:
Originally posted by mtl_49er:
can't hate brady.
can't hate russell.

Love gronk so i'm probably leaning NE.

I hate dallas, i hate GB. i dont hate seattle

Wtf? Are you even a Niners fan then?

apart from the last 3 years what has seattle ever done as a franchise?
I can argue that in the 90's we had legitimate SB chances but kept getting knocked out by those two f**ks.
we could have EASILY had another 2 SB's if it wasn't for Dallas and GB (probably more)

I fkn hate them, will always hate them and anyone who know 49ers history will never, EVER put seattle ANYWHERE close to the special place where all the hate brews because its full of dallas and GB.

so no, i dont hate Seattle, because after all the hate for dallas and GB there is none left to go around...
its like hating AZ (who the f**k cares about arizona...)
  • CMIO
can't hate brady.
can't hate russell.

I can argue that in the 90's we had legitimate SB chances but kept getting knocked out by those two f**ks.
we could have EASILY had another 2 SB's if it wasn't for Dallas and GB (probably more)

I fkn hate them, will always hate them and anyone who know 49ers history will never, EVER put seattle ANYWHERE close to the special place where all the hate brews because its full of dallas and GB.

so no, i dont hate Seattle, because after all the hate for dallas and GB there is none left to go around...

Yep.

It's the youngsters that hate Seattle more than life. The guys that grew up watching this team for over 20 yrs know that in the grand scheme of things, Seattle is no more relevant than the 98 Falcons, 99 Rams, etc.
yup. i dont like seattle as a division rival, but my hate for the fudgePackers is so strong that i was jumping and Cheering as their superbowl dreams started to crumble in 9 minutes, and i loved EVERY second of it
Win or lose on Sunday, Brady will always have clouds hanging over his legacy because of the tuck rule game, spygate, deflategate, and losing 2 Superbowls....so the whole "as many rings as Montana" thing is irrelevant to me.

I am rooting hard for the Patriots. **** the Seahawks. But I am betting heavy on the Seahawks for one reason. I would gladly pay for a Seahawk loss!
[ Edited by SteveWallacesHelmet on Jan 27, 2015 at 8:59 AM ]
Originally posted by CMIO:
can't hate brady.
can't hate russell.

Yep.

It's the youngsters that hate Seattle more than life. The guys that grew up watching this team for over 20 yrs know that in the grand scheme of things, Seattle is no more relevant than the 98 Falcons, 99 Rams, etc.

I agree with you guys also. I started watchin religiously in 98, and I watched in 97 too but I don't remember much from 97. Didn't we get knocked out of the NFCCG by green bay that year? Anyways, I used to despise green bay when they had favre for sure. And I have always disliked dallas but again I am too young to have experience the dallas hatred of the early 90s.
But for me, seattle is what the packers/cowboys of the 90s were to you. That being said, I still hate the packers and cowboys, but I REALLY hate seattle. It doesn't help me that I have some obnoxious bandwagon fans in my family who never were outspoken at all about liking seattle until a few years ago...what a coincidence right? I do think it may be a bit too early to say seattle is gonna be irrelevant in the next year or so. They are about to possibly repeat, and that defense will be together for a few more years I believe. Hopefully marshawn leaves but I don't know that you can just assume they will suck after this year or next. What if they become the Niners of the 80s or the Patriots of the 00s? Ya never know, but ill be pissed if they do
I just want to see Brady shred the legion of Bafoons!

Jim Kelly made it to 4 straight Super Bowls and lost everyone. Nobody is impressed by that.
Well no kidding, Jim Kelly didn't win. With Brady, we're talking about a guy who (hypothetically) will have an equal number of wins as Montana.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NJNiner:
I just want to see Brady shred the legion of Bafoons!

I wanna see Gronk go off and lay Sherman out and possibly break his arm. I would be satisfied if that happened just to see Sherman in an unfortunate situation where he cant run his damn mouth for once...almost had that in the NFCCG but luck was on their side as usual that day
I wanna see Gronk go off and lay Sherman out and possibly break his arm. I would be satisfied if that happened just to see Sherman in an unfortunate situation where he cant run his damn mouth for once...almost had that in the NFCCG but luck was on their side as usual that day

Still cant believe packers did not go after him after the injury in NFC title game. I am I have typed that like a billion times, haha. just makes no sense. Dude could not even move that left arm.
Originally posted by Jamespowers:

Still cant believe packers did not go after him after the injury in NFC title game. I am I have typed that like a billion times, haha. just makes no sense. Dude could not even move that left arm.

I was talking to my tv out loud during the game asking the same thing. Maybe they thought he was trying to fake them or something but they should have at least tried him
Share 49ersWebzone