There are 212 users in the forums

Stop blaming the refs

Shop 49ers game tickets
First off I know I'm gonna get ripped for this but hear me out first then feel free to tear me a new one lol

The problem, as most die hard football fans know, is these lawsuits filed by ex players. Roger Goodell does not care about player safety. The owners don't care about player safety. They both care about the billions of dollars they are losing due to these lawsuits and honestly I don't blame them. They are covering themselves on future lawsuits brought against them. That being said, the refs are doing what they are told to do now. The NFL is and always will be a physical, hard hitting game and they're never going to get rid of hard helmet to helmet hits, hits on a defenseless receiver, or blows to the head of a QB, etc...but they can and will protect themselves later on down the road by penalizing players for these hits. The owners are the driving force behind these so called "bad calls", not the refs. They are doing their job. They are not afforded the privilege of instant replay on a very fast paced game. so if a hit looks too violent, it is going to get called 98/100 times. We have no one to blame but ex players, who knew what they were signing up for btw, for ruining the game of football. I hate what they've done to the game. Instead of the 49ers having the 1 seed last year and a much better chance of beating seattle in the NFC championship, we lose to N.O. because brooks hit was too violent so it had to be a penalty, Instead of getting pumped up for Eric Reid destroying a seahawks receiver, i put my head down in disgust before a flag gets thrown and instead of at least having a chance,as slim as it was once we lost gore and hyde, to go down n score to win the game, Moody is penalized for "helmet to the chest". But my point is that it is NOT the refs fault the game is like this. They are simply doing their jobs to the best of their ability in a very fast, very physical sport.
Guys, I just wanted to stop in to say I felt for you guys after that call. I doubt anyone here went to check it out, but Seahawks.net was also pretty outraged about that call.

Obviously, I don't believe there is any sort of pro-Seahawk / anti-49er sentiment or conspiracy by the NFL or ref's. But it was a bad call (admittedly so now), and it speaks to a NFL moving in a direction that is inconsistent with what football fans want to watch. Honestly, I don't think "fans" (in general) really care about player safety. We're a lot like Nascar fans in that we're here to see the big hits. We're not rooting for injuries. But we like physical games where players are free to playfootball without overly influential interference from the ref's. We ALL want that.

I don't know what the right answer is. I guess maybe they should make these fouls reviewable or challengeable in the offseason?

Anyway, I honestly can't say how that game would have went. Obviously, the final score says one thing. But football is indeed a momentum oriented sport, and it's possible that call (along with the ensuring touchdown) could have taken quite a bit of wind out of the 49ers sails (more-so than a field goal). Would that have changed the 49ers offensive production? Well, we'll never know.

It sucks to have had something like this as one of the predominant stories of this game. That's not what we wanted.
Honestly that call doesn't change much but the final score being 17-7 instead of 13-7 but it's just hard watching football anymore. It's hard cuz I'm hesitant to get excited for any big play cuz I know deep down a flag is coming out. I hate the direction the league is going in but I guess we better get used to this soft brand of football
Originally posted by OahuHawkFan:
Guys, I just wanted to stop in to say I felt for you guys after that call. I doubt anyone here went to check it out, but Seahawks.net was also pretty outraged about that call.

Obviously, I don't believe there is any sort of pro-Seahawk / anti-49er sentiment or conspiracy by the NFL or ref's. But it was a bad call (admittedly so now), and it speaks to a NFL moving in a direction that is inconsistent with what football fans want to watch. Honestly, I don't think "fans" (in general) really care about player safety. We're a lot like Nascar fans in that we're here to see the big hits. We're not rooting for injuries. But we like physical games where players are free to playfootball without overly influential interference from the ref's. We ALL want that.

I don't know what the right answer is. I guess maybe they should make these fouls reviewable or challengeable in the offseason?

Anyway, I honestly can't say how that game would have went. Obviously, the final score says one thing. But football is indeed a momentum oriented sport, and it's possible that call (along with the ensuring touchdown) could have taken quite a bit of wind out of the 49ers sails (more-so than a field goal). Would that have changed the 49ers offensive production? Well, we'll never know.

It sucks to have had something like this as one of the predominant stories of this game. That's not what we wanted.

Well said. If we put our opposing fan-hoods aside, as fans of sport we can all agree that the direction the league is headed in is a bad one. The NFL product is progressively being watered down. As much as I may complain about Seattle's aggressive secondary play, I'd take that type of league over what it was in the mid-2000s (can't breathe on the WRs).

I think the game was over at 10-7, but the penalty did deflate the 49er defense and Richardson's touchdown was the nail in the coffin for the season and the Harbaugh-Carroll feud.
Originally posted by cmix23:
First off I know I'm gonna get ripped for this but hear me out first then feel free to tear me a new one lol

The problem, as most die hard football fans know, is these lawsuits filed by ex players. Roger Goodell does not care about player safety. The owners don't care about player safety. They both care about the billions of dollars they are losing due to these lawsuits and honestly I don't blame them. They are covering themselves on future lawsuits brought against them. That being said, the refs are doing what they are told to do now. The NFL is and always will be a physical, hard hitting game and they're never going to get rid of hard helmet to helmet hits, hits on a defenseless receiver, or blows to the head of a QB, etc...but they can and will protect themselves later on down the road by penalizing players for these hits. The owners are the driving force behind these so called "bad calls", not the refs. They are doing their job. They are not afforded the privilege of instant replay on a very fast paced game. so if a hit looks too violent, it is going to get called 98/100 times. We have no one to blame but ex players, who knew what they were signing up for btw, for ruining the game of football. I hate what they've done to the game. Instead of the 49ers having the 1 seed last year and a much better chance of beating seattle in the NFC championship, we lose to N.O. because brooks hit was too violent so it had to be a penalty, Instead of getting pumped up for Eric Reid destroying a seahawks receiver, i put my head down in disgust before a flag gets thrown and instead of at least having a chance,as slim as it was once we lost gore and hyde, to go down n score to win the game, Moody is penalized for "helmet to the chest". But my point is that it is NOT the refs fault the game is like this. They are simply doing their jobs to the best of their ability in a very fast, very physical sport.

I blame the refs
Russell Wilson, after the game, said of the play: "I thought it was a good call. Ed usually does a great job, he usually makes the right decision. I'm the last one to complain, or the last one to ask for a penalty. At the same time, I thought that was big for us to get a penalty called there. Then, we were able to sustain our drive and score a touchdown."

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2014/12/15/nfls-officiating-czar-says-nick-moodys-roughing-the-passer-penalty-was-not-a-foul/?source=rss
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Russell Wilson, after the game, said of the play: "I thought it was a good call. Ed usually does a great job, he usually makes the right decision. I'm the last one to complain, or the last one to ask for a penalty. At the same time, I thought that was big for us to get a penalty called there. Then, we were able to sustain our drive and score a touchdown."

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2014/12/15/nfls-officiating-czar-says-nick-moodys-roughing-the-passer-penalty-was-not-a-foul/?source=rss

listen to baby Brees here, instead of "good call" he should have said " lucky call" lmao

That call was huge. Being down two scores makes a hell of a difference, than being down less than a TD that late into a game.

I guess tha hawks are the chosen boys. While the 9ers have been on he bad end of calls for the past four years. I hope that changes once Harbs is gone.
I gave up on officiating a very, very long time ago. We are talking 1995, the crap with the Cowboys was enough for me. At that point I basically figured that it was a waste of time and that everyone gets jacked at some point. If the team is good enough, rarely will the officials matter.

I still b***h when I see crap calls though.
It's hard to win when you score 7 points a game.
Share 49ersWebzone