LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 269 users in the forums

Our Future Coach is on the team and it's not Tomsulu

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
Tomsula the HC for motivation, Fangio stays as DC and bring in a top notch OC and give him keys to the car and full autonomy to call his own plays.

And then when that top notch OC bounces for a head coaching gig............that's what worries me. If the coach is young and successful, someone is going to hire him.

The only way that I could see them preventing that is by hiring a retread like a Morhinweg or Trestman if he's fired.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
This
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Wco is old news nobody runs a true form of it anymore.
As much as I like Rathman, I don't think he's the head coach type. Though I wonder what his thoughts on the dunderhead offense are, given his background in Walsh and Mooch's systems.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
even if Tomsulu
*Tomsula
Originally posted by philosoraptor:
Lol at the people who say we don't run the wco. Harbaugh's system is descended from bill walsh's system. The thing is systems are like stories, they constantly change over time as they are passed down from one individual to another. So it is the wco, just harbaugh's wco. It may not look like it because it's built around our qb and running game.

We don't run the WCO. Oh, it could loosely be described as an offence. It has certainly been quite offensive to watch lately. And they play on the west coast. But that is about it.

This is supposed to be a power running O. It isn't anything right now, until the line starts to control games. But I see nothing about the Harbaugh/Roman O which says WCO to me. I don't believe it is descended from Walsh's O. What makes you say that?
Out of curiosity I checked online for definition of the WCO. This doesn't seem a bad one to me, although anyone finding or knowing a better one would be welcome to post it.

"The West Coast Offense, as developed by former San Francisco 49ers head coach Bill Walsh, is a finesse offense that utilizes a short passing game designed to control the ball.

"In most conventional offenses, the idea is to run the ball to draw the safeties and linebackers in closer to the line of scrimmage, thus opening up passing lanes for a vertical attack. The West Coast Offense does just the opposite, using a quick, horizontal passing attack to set up the running game.

"The West Coast Offense employs a variety of formations and pre-snap motions designed to confuse defenders. It also relies heavily on an ability to flood a defense with more receivers than they can handle. The quarterback often moves around more than in a conventional offense with designed roll outs and bootlegs that are tied in with the patterns being run by the receivers."

I would have liked a reference to the way Walsh drew in the running backs, tight ends and fullbacks to make them dual threats. Rathman in particular was a great outlet receiver.

So, to come back to the point at issue, what about our current O could be glorified with the term WCO?
Originally posted by English:
Out of curiosity I checked online for definition of the WCO. This doesn't seem a bad one to me, although anyone finding or knowing a better one would be welcome to post it.

"The West Coast Offense, as developed by former San Francisco 49ers head coach Bill Walsh, is a finesse offense that utilizes a short passing game designed to control the ball.

"In most conventional offenses, the idea is to run the ball to draw the safeties and linebackers in closer to the line of scrimmage, thus opening up passing lanes for a vertical attack. The West Coast Offense does just the opposite, using a quick, horizontal passing attack to set up the running game.

"The West Coast Offense employs a variety of formations and pre-snap motions designed to confuse defenders. It also relies heavily on an ability to flood a defense with more receivers than they can handle. The quarterback often moves around more than in a conventional offense with designed roll outs and bootlegs that are tied in with the patterns being run by the receivers."

I would have liked a reference to the way Walsh drew in the running backs, tight ends and fullbacks to make them dual threats. Rathman in particular was a great outlet receiver.

So, to come back to the point at issue, what about our current O could be glorified with the term WCO?

Its hardly even an offense. Its pretty much an extended special teams unit. We are great at setting up punts and very marginal at setting up field goals. Our offense is composed of a ton of talented individuals running around, not coordinated with one another.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
Tomsula the HC for motivation, Fangio stays as DC and bring in a top notch OC and give him keys to the car and full autonomy to call his own plays.

And then when that top notch OC bounces for a head coaching gig............that's what worries me. If the coach is young and successful, someone is going to hire him.

The only way that I could see them preventing that is by hiring a retread like a Morhinweg or Trestman if he's fired.

Trestman wouldn't be a bad idea IMO. His problem is Jay Cutler; dude just flat out blows and even still many just don't want to accept it. I think he'd do well here if it doesn't work out with Harbaugh. Trestman loves running screens so I'm sure many here would appreciate that.

There's also Shurmur who could be an interesting candidate as well. Has roots in the WCO and is currently helping Chip Kelly runs the Eagles super-mega-fast-pace-offense-of-wizardry. He flamed out before but some guys need that before they find their coaching mojo.

Originally posted by baltien:
Trestman wouldn't be a bad idea IMO. His problem is Jay Cutler; dude just flat out blows and even still many just don't want to accept it. I think he'd do well here if it doesn't work out with Harbaugh. Trestman loves running screens so I'm sure many here would appreciate that.

There's also Shurmur who could be an interesting candidate as well. Has roots in the WCO and is currently helping Chip Kelly runs the Eagles super-mega-fast-pace-offense-of-wizardry. He flamed out before but some guys need that before they find their coaching mojo.

My ideal scenario would be Harbaugh staying, and Trestman as the OC. Harbaugh knows and respects Trestman, he worked with him in Oakland when Trestman was the OC and Harbaugh was the QB coach and offensive assistant. Trestman as a playcaller has managed to get the best out of guys like Scott Mitchell and Jake Plummer. His playcalling would feature a lot more creativity and balance in the passing game as well, like with the screens that you mentioned.

And I agree, I don't know of anyone that could fix Cutler, the guy just doesn't seem to give a damn. Somewhere Mel Kiper is laughing his ass off, all along he said that Cutler was a bust and would not be a franchise QB and people gave him so much crap after the first couple of years in Denver but Cutler is what you see, the modern era Jeff George with less backbone.
Guys how do we know Roman isn't just saving all of his best plays for when he becomes a HC?
Share 49ersWebzone