There are 202 users in the forums

Richard Sherman, Doug Baldwin mock NFL media policies

Shop 49ers game tickets
Let's see if the NFL decides to call more penalties on the Seahawks this Thursday
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
the players collectively bargained for these same rules they hate

those beer commercials are the same sponsors that help pay their huge contracts
The players needed the money so they cut the best deal they could with the powers that be. What choice did they really have? Sit out the season? Miss game checks? Please! They signed the deal because it had the one thing they needed. Money. They like that part enough to sign it but they don't like other parts they are bound by so they are speaking out on it. Nothing wrong with them voicing their opinion. And Doug and Sherm hadn't had one NFL practice prior to that deal being signed. Their cherries weren't popped yet as pros but I bet they speak up during the next negotiations
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
How about an owner DUI. It is hypocritical for the NFL to be sponsored by Bud or whomever then tell the players to not profit from that same endorsement. Why not parents be the role models? Actors drink and endorse. Musicians drink and endorse. The NFL and its owners drink and endorse. Why can't the athletes now then? Is being supposed role models now the reasoning. Not For Long and now the shameless hypocritical exploitation to boot. You may not have a sympathetic bone in your body for players but right is right and this is hypocrisy not matter how you want to cut it

This. The hypocrisy is unreal. It's not a rich and poor issue. It's a corperate America vs the people issue. Yes the players make millions but look at the gap between the owners and players, money wise and the owners pull this crap when players have their own deals. Typical Corperate American greed vs the people when they take shots at the players. Hey I don't like Sherman either but on this one I agree. It's a Greed issue.
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Nov 26, 2014 at 1:57 AM ]
Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:
How about an owner DUI. It is hypocritical for the NFL to be sponsored by Bud or whomever then tell the players to not profit from that same endorsement. Why not parents be the role models? Actors drink and endorse. Musicians drink and endorse. The NFL and its owners drink and endorse. Why can't the athletes now then? Is being supposed role models now the reasoning. Not For Long and now the shameless hypocritical exploitation to boot. You may not have a sympathetic bone in your body for players but right is right and this is hypocrisy not matter how you want to cut it

This. The hypocrisy is unreal. It's not a rich and poor issue. It's a corperate America vs the people issue. Yes the players make millions but look at the gap between the owners and players, money wise and the owners pull this crap when players have their own deals. Typical Corperate American greed vs the people when they take shots at the players. Hey I don't like Sherman either but on this one I agree. It's a Greed issue.

Kids see what these athletes endorse and I'm glad that beer/alcohol shouldn't be one of them....there are million other things they can get paid by
Love it, take the focus away from the game.
Some of the lamest s**t I have ever seen, how does this pass for funny?
These guys don't realize that all the sponsorships from Bose and Budweiser and everyone else are the reasons they get to earn so much money to begin with. Yes, the owners get to make a ton, but they are the ones that built and control the league, that is capitalism.
I work for a big corporation and I get paid a tiny fraction of what the CEO does, but that is just the way it works.

One thing I would LOVE is to see reporter ask Paul Allen what he thought of it. He wouldn't want to call out two of his best players, but they basically told him to kiss their ass. Would make it really hard to sign their game cheque that week if I was in his shoes.
And I did think it was funny, and hope that it generates enough of a buzz for the team to get slightly distracted by it and maybe miss a couple assignment directions in the film room!!
Despite sounding like a prepubescent Kermit the Frog, he couldn't more wrong here if he wanted to. Why?

Because nowhere in the NFL charter does it say the NFL has to make sense. They're a business, and like any other business MONEY is the bottom line. Your sense of fairness and logic be damned. Two, for a guy that think he's as smart as it gets he seems to have forgotten that the league's advertising deals and partnerships is how his (record) contract gets paid. So fans swilling Budweiser while watching their $300-plus DirecTV NFL package is actually good for you the player, Richard Sherman.

If he took five minutes to apply that Stanford education he likes to remind us about every five minutes, maybe he'd realize that the solution here is quite simple:

Don't like the way your employer does business? Cool, then quit.

But then he wouldn't get the attention he so desparately needs on top of the ridiculous salary that goes along with play a GAME for a living.

.....so don't go holding your breath.
Video wasnt that funny at all, maybe because i am a niners fan, however not sure why some are on Lynches side. if that what you are supposed to do at the place you work, then you have to do it.

i would feel the same way if it were any player on the niners.

Originally posted by xtm059:
Originally posted by midrdan:
They won't be suspended. I'm guessing they won't even be fined. The NFL's best response to this is to let it go and get it out of the media cycle in a day or two. React with penalties and it will just produce a greater reaction from other players and the media.

I don't think it was funny. Hard to feel sorry for millionaires that feel oppressed because they can't peddle their stupid sponsorships on game day. And yes Budweiser is a big league sponsor but there is a reason that players - who kids look up to - aren't allowed to peddle booze. Maybe if there wasn't an athlete DUI every other week it would be a different story.

this. 100% this. never feel sorry for someone with a million dollars

ever

Rediculous. If a parent is allowing their children to look up to these guys than that's on them. They are human beings. They have their vices and faults. It's the responsibility of parents to make sure their children understand right fo wrong. Much easier to blame some guy who has more money than you for your problem child.
My level of like for this douche has increased. If a 9er player had said the same thing, I wouldnt mind at all.

Any crap about this being a distraction is weak. I believe his teamates knew what they were gonna do, knew what would come as a result, and glad they did it. Ooooo, stand up for your teamate, speak against an issue most players agree with. Biiiig distraction. Gimme a break.
  • Jiks
I get the point but I would be fired if I did something like this to my job. NFL players are not the only people that have stupid ass rules at their jobs.

Except Irsay isn't on commercials for alcohol. The logo is. And the revenue is split with owners, players, etc. everybody gets a cut from league sponsorships.
Originally posted by JustinMT:
Yup not only that but also when Sherman brought up how the NFL always say they're doing everything they can to keep the players safe yet having 2 teams, this week 6, play 2 games in 5 days is b******t. They're doing it strictly for the money and don't give a damn about player safety by sending those guys out there so soon after their last game. I hope they abolish those games in the offseason but I know they won't.

I agree with Sherman on the player safety issue. It's a huge problem and the NFL is hypocritical when it comes to safety.
Share 49ersWebzone