There are 167 users in the forums

Observations live from Carolina/Seattle

Shop 49ers game tickets
So yesterday I took my dad to the Carolina/Seattle game as a birthday present. He is a huge Panthers fan. I thought I'd share some observations and notes from the game. I'll start with the fans for both teams.

The Carolina fans were generally nice and respectful, even to the Seahawk fans (more on that in a bit). There were some real passionate panther fans doing all they could the whole game to keep the crowd hot, and overall I thought it was a real nice local fanbase. Several times when a big play for the Panthers would happen I'd see a Panther fan look at the Seahawk fans and say "good try" or "man ya'll have a great team. You must, our boys are really getting up for this game."

Then...

Somehow, I'm not sure what I did to deserve this but it seemed like 80% of the Seahawk fans in the arena were all around me. They were everywhere with a few Panther fans sprinkled in here and there. For three quarters the Seahawk fans were real pleasant to be around. No problems at all. Very down to earth people. They didn't seem like the eccentric fanbase you see throughout the online community and it almost started to turn my entire outlook on their fanbase as a whole, then in the fourth quarter it all changed. Once Seattle started playing a whole lot better and then took the lead, it's like nature took over. All those fans became obnoxious. They were yelling choice phrases and words at the Panther fans that not an hour earlier couldn't have been more respectful. Throwing popcorn in the air. After the game the whole hour and change it took to get out of the arena, walk to the parking garage and get out of the garage all I heard was non stop seaaaa-HAAAAWKS!!! I have never been around a more annoying group of people in my life. I finally told one of them coming by dancing around like a fool, that "enjoy it while it last. Come Thanksgiving, forget turkey, there is going to be some deep fried seahawk on the menu when the niners whoop that @$$." Believe me when I tell you I tried to be cordial as long as possible lol.

Notes on the game******

Starting with Carolina. Much has been made of their very average to worse offensive line. For the majority of the game, they did well. They ran block well, opening running lanes and throughout the game and it seemed like every time Stewart ran he would get atleast 4-5 yards, less on a very few occasions. The pass protection was holding up solid as Seattle wan't getting too much pressure atleast for the first three quarters. Barring a few times where Cam was able to escape and there was one play with Carolina in field goal range Cam rolled out to escape some pressure but he sailed a horrible pass right into a Seahawks defender's arms. Greg Olsen was open on the play as well. With that said once Carolina fell behind with less than a minute to play in the game, Carolina's line, lived up to its billing. With the threat of the run gone. The pass protection broke down and with the Seahawks only rushing four, Seattle easily got to Cam for back to back sacks and forced two quick checkdowns before Cam was ready to throw the ball.

Carolina's offense actually moved the ball very well throughout the game. They missed on two opportunities deep in Seahawk's territory for touchdowns (more on that in a bit).

The Panthers defense really showed up here. Especially Luke Kuechly and Thomas Davis. Those two were all over the field both in pass and run support. Lynch couldn't find any room to run in for awhile and was bottled up immediately when hitting the hole. It wan't until Seattle's mid-range passing game got going where Lynch found some running room. Once he got going though, there were yards to be had.

There was one really fun aspect to watch here though. It was the one thing that despite Seattle winning made me leave with a little smirk. I am a true believer in Kelvin Benjamin now. I thought coming out of college he was too slow and looked stiff running routes. Well no more. He absolutely OWNED Richard Sherman. I think on all his catches, Sherman was covering him. One of the missed touchdowns were on Benjamin. He leaped up over Sherman and in live action it looked like Sherman batted the pass down but on the replay the ball hit Benjamin's hands untouched and he just dropped it. There were atleast two other plays where he was open but Cam didn't throw him the ball. There was also about a ten yard catch in the first quarter where Jericho Cotchery beat Sherman as well.

I'll give it to Cam, he didn't seem scared to try Sherman, but once again, after yesterday I am totally on Benjamin's bandwagon. he looked really good against the self-proclaimed best cornerback in the NFL. Too bad he got owned by a rookie. A good rookie receiver at that, but a rookie nonetheless.

For Carolina, they really let this one slip away. they outplayed Seattle entirely in the first half and had to settle for field goals rather than touchdowns. They also turned the ball over twice in Seattle's territory. One was the horrible pass I already alluded too earlier and a ridiculous fumble. You have to score touchdowns against Seattle because they are good enough that they well get it figured out eventually, so strike while the iron is hot. Hopefully our niners take note of that.

I don't have much on Seattle that hasn't already been covered. Their O-line really isn't good at all. Carolina got consistent pressure on Wilson and as much as I hate to say this, and I do. Wilson might be the best escape artist in the NFL right now. He made plays getting out of trouble that he shouldn't have been able too.

Seattle really didn't try too many down the field shots as the protection wasn't holding up well enough. Paul Richardson had a big return to about midfield on the opening kickoff and that man really is FAST.

I think Bobby Wagner is the unsung hero for the Seahawks defense as their run defense just isn't the same without him.

Overall despite missed chances for Carolina, they still could have won this. Up 9-6 late in the game, they let Seattle march the field in the last 3 minutes largely due to Wilson making plays out of the pocket. It was a good game but I now anxiously await Thanksgiving where I am conifdent the Niners well take this one. I know one thing, the Niners are a better team than Carolina and if the Seahawks show up and play like they did yesterday there is no doubt in my mind that the Niners take this one.
My takeaway: both Newton and Wilson are over-rated.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
My takeaway..Seattle's D has taken a step back. Seems like any team can move the ball on them now. Carolina just sucks in the redzone or they would have won. Seattle's offense is not even scary. They have to rely on Wilson's scrambling to win games because teams will just stack the box against Lynch. They have no recievers that attract double teams except maybe Baldwin.
This was a replay of last year's game. I asked myself who would I take Wison, Cam or Kap, the answer was Kap, hands down.
Originally posted by Baldie:
My takeaway..Seattle's D has taken a step back. Seems like any team can move the ball on them now. Carolina just sucks in the redzone or they would have won. Seattle's offense is not even scary. They have to rely on Wilson's scrambling to win games because teams will just stack the box against Lynch. They have no recievers that attract double teams except maybe Baldwin.

Honestly all they throw is quick passes and screens and the only other reason the receivers get open is because Wilson can run around for another 5-7 seconds.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Originally posted by Baldie:

Honestly all they throw is quick passes and screens and the only other reason the receivers get open is because Wilson can run around for another 5-7 seconds.

Its like their pass plays involve Wilson dropping back and the receivers just run around to try to get open.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
This was a replay of last year's game. I asked myself who would I take Wison, Cam or Kap, the answer was Kap, hands down.

its really the third yr in a row seattle has played in carolina where wilson and newton both didnt do much to impress and seattle escaped with wins all three times.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:

Agree
Share 49ersWebzone