There are 175 users in the forums

Gerald McCoy: 7 year extension for close to $100 million

Shop 49ers game tickets
He is arguably the best at his position so... market value? AB83 confirmation needed.
Wow Tampa really
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
it's probably more like a 4-5 year deal with most of the guarantee coming in the first couple of years.

it's still 50 mill guaranteed

in Florida lol
Don't know any details on this deal. Seems to indeed set the market for Suh in 2015. Probably same deal for Suh.

I doubt Aldon gets anywhere near $100M from us. He may get in the $50-$60 million range, which is Clay Matthews money. Since Aldon is a 3-4 OLB, and not a DE or DT, I don't see any possibility of Aldon getting that money.
McCoy's a good player for sure, maybe even All Pro, but that's QB $$, I guess they figure one way or another they won't be paying big $$ for a QB for at least 4 years (as they will for surely pick one early in the draft).

Still, bad teams making bad fiscal decisions.
Only a few defensive players in history are probably worth 100 mil and even still is a stretch. Maybe White, Bruce Smith, Taylor, Deacon Jones, a few others. I dont know if Sanders and Lott would be worth 100 mil. Then on the offensive side probably Montana, Young, Favre, Manning, Brady, maybe Brees, few other qbs... other than that I don't think any RB, WR or OL is worth that much. Even guys like Rice, Moss, TO 100 is way too much. Basically, only players I think are worth 100 mil (and thats NFL value, I think all athletes and celebs are way overpaid) would be a few elite QBs and a few elite pass rushers. That being said they threw like 54 mil at Nicks and he was gone in a few years, traded for Revis, threw 41 mil at Goldson, how much at Jackson and a lot of good it has done. Even Watt at 100 mil is a stretch and who would take McCoy over him? I just tihnk to get that you have to be a true difference maker and help your team win games and outside the QB spot very few players can do that certainly not many DT's in history. Also, I found it funny to see Bucs and Texans fans say they earned every penny of that 100 mil. Anyone that says that go work in a factory or on a farm or for min wage for a few years and come back and tell me that athletes and celebs deserve what they get.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Only a few defensive players in history are probably worth 100 mil and even still is a stretch. Maybe White, Bruce Smith, Taylor, Deacon Jones, a few others. I dont know if Sanders and Lott would be worth 100 mil. Then on the offensive side probably Montana, Young, Favre, Manning, Brady, maybe Brees, few other qbs... other than that I don't think any RB, WR or OL is worth that much. Even guys like Rice, Moss, TO 100 is way too much. Basically, only players I think are worth 100 mil (and thats NFL value, I think all athletes and celebs are way overpaid) would be a few elite QBs and a few elite pass rushers. That being said they threw like 54 mil at Nicks and he was gone in a few years, traded for Revis, threw 41 mil at Goldson, how much at Jackson and a lot of good it has done. Even Watt at 100 mil is a stretch and who would take McCoy over him? I just tihnk to get that you have to be a true difference maker and help your team win games and outside the QB spot very few players can do that certainly not many DT's in history. Also, I found it funny to see Bucs and Texans fans say they earned every penny of that 100 mil. Anyone that says that go work in a factory or on a farm or for min wage for a few years and come back and tell me that athletes and celebs deserve what they get.

Pretty much all of this. Bad team. Dumb decision. And silly money.
Originally posted by Gore_21:

factory workers
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Do owners go to any school to become owners? Or are they just super rich with the best toy money can buy.

There's a salary cap so clearly not all of them know what they're doing.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Wow Tampa really

Bad teams consistently make bad decisions.

Details, via OTC, http://overthecap.com/player/gerald-mccoy/1811

From former player agent Joel Corry's piece on the Nation Football Post.

DT Gerald McCoy signed a 7 year, $95.2 million contract extension with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on October 25, 2014. All contract details come from Joel Corry of the National Football Post. McCoy will receive $14,757,308 in full guarantees which will be paid out in 2014 as base salary and a $2.5 million roster bonus. If McCoy is on the Buccaneers roster on the 5th day of the 2015 waiver period his $5 million base salary and $6.5 million roster bonus will become fully guaranteed as will his $6 million 2016 salary. If McCoy is on the Buccaneers roster on the 3rd day of the 2016 League Year his 2016 $6.5 million roster bonus and $12,742,692 of his 2017 base salary will become fully guaranteed. In 2020 and 2021 McCoy has roster bonuses of $2.5 million that are paid on the 3rd day of the League Year.

So only $14.7M in full guarantees at signing, but he will likely get those triggers for his 2015 base and roster bonus, and 2016 base salary. He would have to fall of to be waived before the 5th waiver day of 2015.
Dareus and Suh licking dem chops.

But they are still in the no flex zone
He's a good player no doubt, but I highly doubt he makes an impact worth this much money. It's insane. Don't GM's realize you need a full team of good players and not just a few great ones to make a good team? It boggles the mind when I see crazy deals like this.
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Is this guy Colt McCoy's brother

Brother from another mother
Originally posted by LZRD_WZRD:
He's a good player no doubt, but I highly doubt he makes an impact worth this much money. It's insane. Don't GM's realize you need a full team of good players and not just a few great ones to make a good team? It boggles the mind when I see crazy deals like this.

This. I'm trying to think of the greatest DT's I ever saw on a regular basis. Bryant Young and Warren Sapp were it when I was growing up and neither would be worth 100 million to me. Going to a previous era, maybe Joe Greene?
Share 49ersWebzone