LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 227 users in the forums

Under the new rules can anybody beat Peyton Manning and the Broncos?

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
11-12 playoff record for Manning. Including 2-2 with Denver.

If Manning didn't put up 55 TDs last year, you might have a point about the new rules this year. But Manning has been putting up huge numbers his entire career. He threw for 49 TDs in 2004 and lost to NE in the playoffs.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I think they really want the Broncos to win this year. Plus I think it's likely they do if Manning stays healthy. They could be 15 - 1. Further I think they want GOLDEN BOY pocket passers to have a huge advantage going forward in the NFL.

Agree BIG TIME!

Just like they wanted Ray Lewis to go out w/the ring.

Can't prove it but I bet all the close calls will go their way.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Grew up on the streets of NYC, we would play touch football in the streets, the goal line sewer to sewer. A QB with one defender counting to 10 Mississppi before he could rush the passer. Five kids would go out for the pass. Watching Manning and the rest of the NFL today the game has become touch football with no contact and giving the QB maximum time to find a receiver.

Under Goodell, the NFL is indeed becomming touch football. The ridiculous rules regarding the head shots actually are more dangerous now because everybody is lowering aim points and now the knee's are being injured all over the place. Goodell just needs to enforce the unsportsmanlike conduct and spearing rules, no need to create more rules that make Football more like Soccer.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Grew up on the streets of NYC, we would play touch football in the streets, the goal line sewer to sewer. A QB with one defender counting to 10 Mississppi before he could rush the passer. Five kids would go out for the pass. Watching Manning and the rest of the NFL today the game has become touch football with no contact and giving the QB maximum time to find a receiver.

Under Goodell, the NFL is indeed becomming touch football. The ridiculous rules regarding the head shots actually are more dangerous now because everybody is lowering aim points and now the knee's are being injured all over the place. Goodell just needs to enforce the unsportsmanlike conduct and spearing rules, no need to create more rules that make Football more like Soccer.
Originally posted by zaghawk:
Peyton Manning and the Broncos were "the greatest offense in NFL History" going into SB 48 and we all saw how that worked out. The same deeper/healthier team went into Clink earlier this year and outside of epic collapse by the Seahawks defense in the final minute of the game also got owned (at least beat). So yes the Peyton Manning Broncos team can be beat. It just will take a team playing lights out defense with lots of pressure, and an offense that is clicking so the Broncos can't control game tempo. Make no mistake it will take another GREAT team to beat the Broncos. The Seahawks WERE that in SB 48 and earlier this year, not so much anymore. Still a long season ahead, Seahawks or the Niners won't meat the Broncos again unless they reach the SB. I'm not going to look that far ahead right now. Hell I wouldn't for the Niners either, and what are the chances of the SB losers returning to the SB again? like less than 20%? don't be surprised if it's the Chargers vs Cowboys in the SB. Could happen.

Agree. ...and this is really for Buck.

Buck, Defense wins superbowls!
the way you beat the Broncos is pack your running game and your defense. Keep him off the field and limit his possessions. If you try to get into a shootout with him, you will lose. San Diego tried that and so did the Niners. Both teams lost. The only thing is they are very good against the run so you better have some beasts on the O-line.
We missed Aldon last week. You stop Peyton like every other QB. You hit him early and often. Aldon is coming and paired with Lynch it is Doomsday for opposing QBs!
What kind of nonsense is this? You know we're still in October, right? Weather is still good. San Diego, a Southern California team, went into Denver and beat the Broncos in December. All these nice little routes and clean pockets start to slowly disappear come December/January. I'll be shocked if Denver is clicking this well towards the end of the year. They'll still probably make it to the super bowl, unless the pats beat them next week and control home field. The niners healthy can beat them, too.
this might be a worth while debate if he wins a playoff game or two in january and is heading to the super bowl. until then this is just premature. we've seen this guy with great season after great season and look ordinary in the playoffs.
Originally posted by est1985:
What kind of nonsense is this? You know we're still in October, right? Weather is still good. San Diego, a Southern California team, went into Denver and beat the Broncos in December. All these nice little routes and clean pockets start to slowly disappear come December/January. I'll be shocked if Denver is clicking this well towards the end of the year. They'll still probably make it to the super bowl, unless the pats beat them next week and control home field. The niners healthy can beat them, too.

I still somehow think that BAL and IND will have some say in the AFC. HarBowl 3 baby so we can exact some revenge!
The old adages still remain true: DEFENSE wins championship and it all starts in the trenches. If Manning is not protected, he struggles. If your pass rush is dominant, you have an exponentially greater chance of winning the game. Look at Detroit this year, playing without Bush and Calvin Johnson and still winning games.

Originally posted by Jcool:
11-12 playoff record for Manning. Including 2-2 with Denver.

If Manning didn't put up 55 TDs last year, you might have a point about the new rules this year. But Manning has been putting up huge numbers his entire career. He threw for 49 TDs in 2004 and lost to NE in the playoffs.

People are making the comparison between this year and 2004 (rightfully so with rule changes) but people forget that Manning did indeed break Marino's TD record but the Colts still got smoked by New England 20-3 in the divisional round that year.
When the weather turns to s**t he is less effective.
Originally posted by crabman82:
this might be a worth while debate if he wins a playoff game or two in january and is heading to the super bowl. until then this is just premature. we've seen this guy with great season after great season and look ordinary in the playoffs.

Have you not seen all the rule changes this year that favor the QB, passing game, WR's, TE's, RB's out of the backfield? 2014 is not 2013 or prior. This is the Golden Boy Pocket Passer QB league now. Just the way the NFL wants it IMO.
Share 49ersWebzone