LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 230 users in the forums

What makes Seattle's coaches superior?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Adderal?
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
It's a personality issue. Grandma Carroll and his staff for the most part are kiss asses. The media and NFL network etc loves that so they get favorable coverage. IMO
However they are not better coaches.
[ Edited by MarkD on Oct 9, 2014 at 5:46 AM ]
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
f**k Seattle

This.
Theyre not superior. Both coaching staffs are about the same.
Lol that's pretty lame I got a warning for stating my opinion and defending the 49ers.
IMO, they have five things that they do better than us:

1.Marshawn Lynch never going down upon contact. He is a beast (probably HGH)
2. Russell Wilson plays the qb position better and with more poise than Colin.
3. Both lines (o line and dline) are superior to ours. (as far as on the field performance) Their D line constantly gets pressure with their front 4 and their d line does a better job pass blocking for wilson
4. They tailor the offensive game plan to Wilson than Roman does for Colin. Wilson always have a chance to complete high percentage throws to no named receivers while Colin always have pressure up in his face and has to wait to throw the ball to his receivers.

The biggest difference for me is their lines. They're superior to our lines even though we have bigger names. If SF switched lines with SEA, then the 49ers would be the ones who would advance to the Super Bowl last year.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
4. They tailor the offensive game plan to Wilson than Roman does for Colin. Wilson always have a chance to complete high percentage throws to no named receivers while Colin always have pressure up in his face and has to wait to throw the ball to his receivers.
This is true, but in my honest, objective opinion, a lot of this boils down to execution. I think Kaepernick is given a lot of easy throws as well, but I think he simply doesn't execute as well. Historically he has forced a lot of passes downfield despite having checkdown options wide open (I do think he's improved this year in that regard). However, I still frequently see him throw poor passes on short throws (e.g. Derek Carrier having to make an acrobatic catch on a 5-yard catch because Kaepernick air-mailed a gimme throw last week).
When the USC program was being investigating for illegal actions Pete's last year he had no idea anything was wrong. Pete took the Seahawks job and said he knew nothing of any wrong doing while he was there. The thing about Pete is that he's one step ahead. As soon as the Seahawks start their nosedive (it will happen, as it does with every team) watch how fast Pete bales.
I agree that our OC is a problem...we have Michael Crabtree, Stevie Johnson, Anquan Boldin, Vernon Davis, and Frank Gore who can catch out of the backfield...so what the hell is our passing offense not in the top 10 at least, if not top 5! Colin should be in the shotgun more rather than taking these 5 and 7 step dropbacks! And since we have backed off of running the read-option, teams arent even expecting it much from us...all the reason to run it more times a game. Russell Wilson runs it consistently still and it's still fooling teams.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Bevell can run circles around Roman both literally and figuratively

The drive in overtime against the Broncos was a thing of beauty

Seattle looks to put teams away(Niners included) while the Niners prefer field goals and letting the defense bail them out time and time again.

Defensively both teams are well coached

Special teams goes to Seattle who actually has a competent return game

VERY well put and I totally agree.

Fangio is a better DC - he is doing more with less talent. SEA has more talent on the DL to get pressure with a 4 man rush and while our secondary is better than most, SEA secondary is elite.

OC - Bevell is doing more with similar or even less talent. Bevell as OC has done a better job maximizing less talent. Personnel wise, Wilson is more poised and yet his scrambles are impossible to contain because he is elusive (Tarkington like), Kap is fast, but not nearly as elusive. Gore has a lot of zero yard runs, he may push a pile, but he no longer runs with violence like Lynch (Hyde is more like Lynch). Harvin is impossible to contain all game. Bevell does a better job manipulating those 3 pieces than Roman does with more overall talent.

Carroll - can't stand the guy because I think he is slippery (a la slips out of USC after caught cheating) - but he has his players playing loose - which translates to fast.

Overall SEA makes better adjustment in games - Harbaugh and Roman will beat their head on a wall to prove their gameplan right. That is why they struggle in the 2nd half.
Member Milestone: This is post number 2,100 for 49ersking.
Usually, when a team wins the SB, they have a lot of great coaches and players, working together, etc., etc.

In this weird case, Seattle wins 8 games mostly because of home field advantage. Granted, they are a good team, but the home field guarantees a win vs say on the road....where the record is avg at best.
Having the confidence of winning 8 games at home, and working to win another 4 on the road, makes the life of a coach much more easier.
So, I don't know if the Seattle coaches are that much better than any other good team in the NFL.

I think it's been a while since Seattle won in SF, so it puts a big question mark on how much is it really the coaches vs the home field.
Originally posted by Psinex:
Originally posted by Joecool:
In terms of game planning, I think 49ers coaching staff is a cut above SEA coaching staff.

Game Planning: SF
In-Game Adjustments: Even
Maximizing Talent: SEA
OC: SEA
DC: SF

Player Prep: SF
Player Buy-in: SEA

I have a feeling the bold could be where the rumors are coming from about Jim Harbaugh and how his players think. I could be 100% wrong but I think the players that transition from SF to SEA talk with the SF players and mention how loose Pete Carroll is and how he uses the talents of his players.

I'm sure Lockette and even M. Rob have talked good about the SEA coaching staff to 49ers players.
...and B.J. Daniels. Seattle is always trying to sign released players from the Niners, especially late in the pre-season to get any information that they can about the Niners' playbook, schemes, audibles, and hand signs. If Kirk Cousins put together a couple more drives at the end of Monday night's game, the Foreskins could have actually beat the Seahawks, which was previously unimaginable. They are not as good as the media would have you believe.

I don't think they are as good as media makes us believe. But I do think their coaching allows their players to play faster and they utilize the individual talents of the players better.
This is just my opinion, but the biggest reason for Seattle's success and SF not winning a SB thus far, is - Wilson.

I don't think the end result would have mattered even if the entire coaching staff from both teams switched with each other. After all, Seattle started to pop eyes after Wilson took over as starter during the 2012 season.

The most important trait in a QB is passing the football to own receivers. Kap just cannot do it efficiently and consistently. Harbaugh got it wrong from the very beginning. He loves athleticism in a QB, but how many top QBs in the NFL today are in the athletic class of Kap or Newton? Not Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Brees. Even Wilson is not an athletic freak, it is good to have scrambling abilities, but that is not what Harbaugh is looking for in a QB, he likes flat-out freak athletes.

I simply cannot believe it that the team that once won 3 SBs with Walsh and 4 with Montana does not live by that philosophy anymore. I still remember Walsh being critical of Druckenmiller pick and then he finally traded him to Miami.

At this point, Kap does not have the sense of where his receivers are, lack of vision, lack of timing, lack of anticipation, lack of touch, lack of overall understanding of how the opposing defense is playing.

This is not to say that other reasons posted by other posters are not true. Juice, HaRo, home field advantage for Seattle, etc., are all factors as well, but none bigger than Wilson.

But, what is fated is fated, I think we will still win it all this year !
[ Edited by astro_niner on Oct 9, 2014 at 10:46 AM ]
Originally posted by astro_niner:
This is just my opinion, but the biggest reason for Seattle's success and SF not winning a SB thus far, is - Wilson.

I don't think the end result would have mattered even if the entire coaching staff from both teams switched with each other. After all, Seattle started to pop eyes after Wilson took over as starter during the 2012 season.

The most important trait in a QB is passing the football to own receivers. Kap just cannot do it efficiently and consistently. Harbaugh got it wrong from the very beginning. He loves athleticism in a QB, but how many top QBs in the NFL today are in the athletic class of Kap or Newton? Not Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Brees. Even Wilson is not an athletic freak, it is good to have scrambling abilities, but that is not what Harbaugh is looking for in a QB, he likes flat-out freak athletes.

I simply cannot believe it that the team that once won 3 SBs with Walsh and 4 with Montana does not live by that philosophy anymore. I still remember Walsh being critical of Druckenmiller pick and then he finally traded him to Miami.

At this point, Kap does not have the sense of where his receivers are, lack of vision, lack of timing, lack of anticipation, lack of touch, lack of overall understanding of how the opposing defense is playing.

This is not to say that other reasons posted by other posters are not true. Juice, HaRo, home field advantage for Seattle, etc., are all factors as well, but none bigger than Wilson.

But, what is fated is fated, I think we will still win it all this year !

Wilson, if he were being developed as a pocket passer actually sucks worse than Kap on knowing where his receivers are. Wilson's only ability is his ability to scramble. He doesn't find receivers, but his ability to scramble allows for receivers time to get open.

THAT is the main difference between the two. Wilson's type of game is not sustainable and his coaches, in this regard, are hurting his development in becoming a long term successful QB.

What is he going to do when Lynch is gone? Without a running game, he will be forced to be a high volume passer.

Right now, Kap is a faaar better high volume passer than Wilson is simply because Kap is already developing into a QB that is learning how to go through progressions in the pocket.

Have yet to see Wilson go through progressions at all.
Share 49ersWebzone