LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 160 users in the forums

Which skill would 49er fans take from Alex Smith and give to Colin Kaepernick????

Shop 49ers game tickets

On another website in a chiefs forum, they posed the same question, except in reverse with Smith taking from Kaep. So some posed the question... "I wonder what they would take in regards to Smith".

here are some reactions on what Smith can take from kaep... Enjoy....

"b***hin biceps"; "Maybe his contract"; "I would want Alex Smith's press conference skill for Kaepernick"; "I would take Kaps arm strength but only if Alex would retain his touch"; etc....

What do you think Fellas???
[ Edited by Jersey9er on Oct 1, 2014 at 9:08 AM ]
Alex's poise, time management , reading of defenses.
Read the defense, go through progressions, check down if nothing big is there, throw it away rather than throw the interception. Not every play has to be huge. Honestly Alex is the more functional NFL QB right now. Colin is a bigger arm and faster legs. But he has not put it all together. Like playing from the pocked, reads and progressions, accuracy on short throws in the redzone. Kap has a lot to work on really. His upside is real big. But IMO Kap has actually taken a step back this year rather than forward.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Oct 1, 2014 at 9:19 AM ]
Oh.My.Holy.Jeebus.

Though I agree with all that SD49 stated... and not to say that Colin never does these things well.. just less consistent about it...

I really want to

Situational Football acumen. Colin doesnt have it, only his superior athletic ability makes up for it in dire situations. Someday that ability will slowly erode away, he will need the smarts. Lets be honest, Alex is right in the middle of his prime. Hes the best hes ever been and CK has plenty of room for growth. I think he is such a hard worker and it will happen for him. But its time to stop making the exact same mistakes play after play, game after game for 3 straight years now.
When Alex is on, his offense is crisp and he shows touch. What I'd like to see Kap do is become more aware on the field. Calling a time out when you're setting up your punter with a 5 yard penalty is inexcusable. Watching the play clock go down all the way and Kap is still barking out signals is torture. You can't win a SB with those kind of mistakes.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Leadership ability
His timidness.

Kap has that Favre gunslinger mentality, wish he would reign it in a bit.
Touch, situational awareness in decision-making, ball security, and pre and post-snap reads.

• THEB
  • Veteran
Basically i want Kap to be a game manager.
Great thread. I agree with pretty much everything that has been posted.

I think we would have had a better shot at winning the Super Bowl and NFCC against Seattle if keep had just channeled his inner Alex a bit, especially at the end of those games.

I think Kaeps youth and maturity is what is holding him back. It's like a poster said before, Kaep is like a teenager that just got a brand new Ferrari. He doesn't have the maturity and experience to fully utilize the car, but all he knows and cares about is that it can go fast.

Going back to a previous post, if he doesn't learn to adapt and improve upon the mental part of the game, he will be in for a rude awakening when his athleticism and youth start to fade. Not to mention his career will be cut short by injury or be benched for poor play.

Don't get me wrong, he should take advantage of his athletic gifts while he still has them, but he needs to prepare for when they are gone.
I love Kap's aggressiveness taking shots down field, Alex rarely looked beyond 10 yards. Would love Map to have that mindset with a lead...take the short passes and eat the clock.
Easy, his brain and maturity.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Touch, situational awareness in decision-making, ball security, and pre and post-snap reads.

This
Share 49ersWebzone