LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 301 users in the forums

Assessing the true TOP MLBs in the NFL....

Shop 49ers game tickets
Courtesy of someone on .NET, came across this:

http://www.thefootballeducator.com/impact-tackling-need-comprehensive-statistics-nfl/

"The only way to accurately keep track of tackles is through the use of coaching tape. The other major issue with tackles is that there is nothing (other than tackles for loss) to quantify one tackle from another. Shouldn't a tackle 1 yard from the line of scrimmage be separated from a tackle that occurs 15 yards downfield?These realizations led me to the creation of what I call "Impact Tackles." I defined an impact tackle as such:

A tackle resulting in a gain of 3 yards or fewer that does not result in a 1st down
A tackle that prevents a conversion on 3rd or 4th down
A tackle for loss
A sack
A tackle that forces a fumble

After establishing the criteria, I watched every play of every middle and inside linebacker in the league (including the two linebackers on the field for teams that play a lot of nickel) and established my findings. In addition to charting impact tackles, I also kept track of where each tackle occurred in relation to the line of scrimmage in what I dubbed "Yards at Tackle," essentially a defensive counterpart to "Yards per Carry.""

I really wanted to name this the "Luke Kuechly is overrated thread"....

Still can't believe Bowman didn't get any first place votes for DPOTY. He really should have won it.
He's made a significant statistical error in taking an average of averages approach.
Originally posted by Redrum2152:
Still can't believe Bowman didn't get any first place votes for DPOTY. He really should have won it.

Yeah, it sucks.

BTW, do you think Willis should have been DPOTY at any point in his career?

It bothers me that some players get lucky with being in the right place at the right time -- Kuechly's best season is still not on Willis' best. Hell, not even last year he was.

Can't stand Kuechly. It's like the league needs an Urlacher 2.0 so desperately.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Redrum2152:

same. b******t. IMO, that shows some sort of bias against the niners.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
He's made a significant statistical error in taking an average of averages approach.

What should he have done?
I think Bobby Wagner is going to have a breakout year.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:

What should he have done?

Summed up the total number of impact plays over the two seasons and divided that by the total number of games each LB played over the two seasons. In taking an average of averages approach, you're assuming that each LB played the same number of games per season, which may or may not be true.

Ideally however the best comparison is an impact play per snap metric. This then normalizes for the amount of snaps each LB plays.

Very nitpicky but yeah...
To the OP, lol you very well shouldve named it the "Kuechly is overrated" thread.
Summed up the total number of impact plays over the two seasons and divided that by the total number of games each LB played over the two seasons. In taking an average of averages approach, you're assuming that each LB played the same number of games per season, which may or may not be true.

Ideally however the best comparison is an impact play per snap metric. This then normalizes for the amount of snaps each LB plays.

Very nitpicky but yeah...

This isn't exactly correct.

It would assume they played the same amount of games if he divided it by 2 (number of seasons), or by 32 (number of games in 2 regular seasons), but he divided impact tackles by number of games the LB played as I read it. Which gives average impact tackles per game the LB played.

I think if you take impact tackles per snap as you suggested, the stat gets thrown off by situational games and/or schemes. For example, a MLB on a defense that has a terrible secondary, but is stout against the run will have a lot of snaps that they are out of the play. Making them look less impactful than the really are.

If you compare impactful tackles vs just raw tackle stats, he's comparing just plays the MLB had part in, and is eliminating plays away from them.

Share 49ersWebzone