There are 246 users in the forums

Best Team in the NFL so far?

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Patriots and Cardinals
Whoever gets home field in the AFC between Patriots and Broncos will probably be their representative in the Super Bowl. As for the Cards Stanton has led them to wins despite some not so pretty numbers, but I think with Palmer out they are going to fall off quite a bit. As for the best team in the NFC I think it is wide open.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BobS:
That gap in sacks is not a true indicator in the difference in the two offensive lines. The bolded implies Denver gets an A+ in pass protection and SF gets an F-.
You are using two quarterbacks that are about as different as they come. Peyton Manning has always been a statue, a pocket passer with a quick release. Kaepernick the highly mobile dual threat that buys extra time with his legs. The 9 sacks for Manning in 9 games is actually around his career average (1.12 sacks per game). Types like Peyton get sacked the least of all, Dan Marino got sacked at almost the exact same low rate per attempt as Peyton has. Guys like Kap get sacked the most, his career average sack rate is over 2 1/2 times what Manning's is. Also considering Manning attempts over 20% more passes than Kap that 31-9 spread in sacks isn't that shocking. If you put Peyton on the 49ers he would get sacked way less than 31 times and if you put Kap on the Broncos he would get sacked way more than 9 times.

But, you lost me there a bit. If Kap is a dual threat QB, shouldn't he be even more difficult to sack ? Plus, given Manning attempts way more passes than Kap, shouldn't his sack numbers be even higher than Kap ?

I think it basically boils down to a couple of things :

1) Manning gets rid of the ball right away, probably around the 3 sec mark or less

2) Their O-line is either better or has played way better than our O-line (which you seem to agree when you graded the 2 O-lines on pass pro which was my point anyway)
Share 49ersWebzone