LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 285 users in the forums

Illegal hands to the face 5 yard penalty and AUTOMATIC FIRST DOWN.

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
I have to say that I am really becoming disenchanted with the NFL's offensive friendly penalties. Its really ruining the game.

Lol.....shocking.....
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Originally posted by tondiman:
FACE is the key word my friend.....FACE.

lol..
After we get f**ked all year from this...watch it get fixed next year.
For the tin foil hat crowd:

Imagine if the competition committee examined the 49er DBs in the offseason and tried to come up with a rule change that would hurt us?

In all seriousness though, if we are getting called for illegal hands to the face and not the downfield illegal contact, it makes me wonder if our DBs have been conditioned to play like that the last 2-3 seasons, and at best it's a coincidental rule change that's hurting us?

The worst part about this is I have no missed 7 straight quarters of Niner football, where all of this has taken place. I don't even know what this s*** looks like!
The NFL is going down the drain fast. They have takin all the fun out of the league. 1 month till basketball
  • Antix
  • Veteran
It doesnt matter if we have a 3rd and 75 on D. All of takes is one touch to the face and its all wiped out and forgotten. Dumbest rule there is.
[ Edited by Antix on Sep 22, 2014 at 5:34 AM ]
IF they really weren't favoring the offenses and actually worried about protecting ALL the players, then why not go automatic 4th down if an offensive player holds or illegal hands to the face? How the f**k does that even make sense? How do you punish the same crime so differently?

Yup, can't wait for basketball now.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
When are we going to wake up? The real game is advertising and making the billionaires richer.

This. Penalties extend drives, make the game longer, and brings in more advertising cash for the NFL.

Soon all defensive penalties will be an AUTOMATIC FIRST DOOWWWWWN!
If I'm an offensive lineman in the NFL, I'm gonna' headbutt my opponents hands every snap and personally move my team down the field.

#NewRulesChampion
Yep, these past few years just about every defensive penalty has turned into an automatic first down. We had a few 25-35 yarders against us. Like I said years ago Goodell and company want to turn the NFL into arena ball where the scores is 55-50 every game. The casual fan/non fan they want to suck up to want to see more points not great defense. Plus more scoring equals more commercials equals more money.

Also, getting rid of the 5 yard incidental face mask and making them all 15 was a mistake too but they want to get rid of judgement calls but most of it is judgement. Side note I think Mark Cuban could be right in saying pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. The NFL keeps going this way they might add some not fans and keep some casual fans but start alienating the die hards who make the game.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 22, 2014 at 3:36 PM ]

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
there is literally hands to the face on every fkn play on both sides of the ball. This gives them an easy option for dictating the outcome of any game.
So what's the penalty on an offensive player? Just 10 yds? Why not 10 yds and loss of downs???

Same with offensive pass interference -- why is it only 10 effin yards and not a loss of downs?
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
So what's the penalty on an offensive player? Just 10 yds? Why not 10 yds and loss of downs???

Same with offensive pass interference -- why is it only 10 effin yards and not a loss of downs?

This. Oh my god so much this. If defenses give up 1st downs all the time offenses should be losing downs.
  • nj9er
  • Veteran
Same should apply to illegal contact down field. Pass interference is one thing since it prevents a completion but hand fighting or a bump coming out of break doesn't prevent a WR from making a catch.
Share 49ersWebzone