LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

Why no consistency in the officiating???

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Oh I'm not saying it's a conspiracy - I'm more venting frustration that it seems like we tend to get a lot more ticky tack calls than other teams. If that penalty isn't called against us, the game is a complete blowout - if that penalty is called against Seattle - who knows.....
I know you're not, but lots of people on this board believe stuff like that.

Again, it's easy to take screenshots of this stuff and say it's called inconsistently, but referees have to do this in real-time (plus, in the Drew Brees example, his neck looks like a Stretch Armstrong doll, I can totally see how that would look more blatant to a referee versus the Kaep one). I know they have professional training and are supposed to be more adept at spotting stuff, but they're still human beings and are going to be prone to mistakes now and again.

I also don't feel like ticky-tack calls always goes against us. For example, off the top of my head:

- in the 2012 NFCCG Bowman could've easily been called for illegal contact on Roddy White. It was totally borderline but was not called. I'm sure, to this day, there are Atlanta Falcons fans that complain about that call and maintain that the refs screwed them out of a Super Bowl birth.

- Also, last in year in the Divisional round, there was a terrible call (personal foul) on one of the Panthers DB's on the opening drive of the game that ended up gifting us a field goal instead of having to punt away. They were called for three personal fouls that game and a couple of them were very questionable.

- I've seen Seahawks fans argue that the only reason Frank Gore broke that long, game-sealing run in our week 14 win was because of an egregious hold on Earl Thomas (or maybe it was Kam Chancelor)

Anyway, the point is that no, I do not agree that borderline calls always seem to go against us. Sometimes we are the beneficiaries. I think that people just remember the ones that went against us a lot more clearly, because those are the ones that piss us off and burn in our memory.
[ Edited by theduke85 on Sep 8, 2014 at 1:27 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Oh I'm not saying it's a conspiracy...

I "am!" It's not necessarily against the 49ers per se' but the 49ers are a great team and as a result, are IN more positions to have a bunch of...and I mean a BUNCH of critically-timed questionably calls against us affecting the overall results of games (point spread). Vegas is built on point-spreads, not particular teams winning. That said, the NFL, aka WWE (in the legal system) is about creating key matchups for dramatic and entertaining purposes (b/c that = $) and is given a license to do so...from the Pat's after 911 to Ray Lewis' "last ride" American's love drama. The Hawks (12th man = $) winning the Superbowl is good for the NFL...so is having Brady, Brees and Manning is good for the NFL, etc. At some point you don't even need tin foil to see it with your own eyes...but as a fan, despite the corruption in sports across the world and highly documented, who wants to believe it?

...49ers winning SuperBowl 49...
They called offensive interference on Lloyd, when Claiborne was draped all over him. Lloyd had his elbow out to defend himself and the ref threw the flag on him instead of Claiborne. That was costly, as Kap had hit Vernon down the field. All you can say is it was the first regular season game for them, too. That said, they've been officiating together since the first preseason game...so really, no excuse for not getting calls right.
Originally posted by IEAD:

I "am!" It's not necessarily against the 49ers per se' but the 49ers are a great team and as a result, are IN more positions to have a bunch of...and I mean a BUNCH of critically-timed questionably calls against us affecting the overall results of games (point spread). Vegas is built on point-spreads, not particular teams winning. That said, the NFL, aka WWE (in the legal system) is about creating key matchups for dramatic and entertaining purposes (b/c that = $) and is given a license to do so...from the Pat's after 911 to Ray Lewis' "last ride" American's love drama. The Hawks (12th man = $) winning the Superbowl is good for the NFL...so is having Brady, Brees and Manning is good for the NFL, etc. At some point you don't even need tin foil to see it with your own eyes...but as a fan, despite the corruption in sports across the world and highly documented, who wants to believe it?

I thought we scored good points with Goodell at our ribbon cutting...the day HE choose to leverage that opportunity to pitch to us sharing the stadium with the Raiders (b.s. move BTW) but I guess we said, no, based on Aldon's suspension. LOL

But I like #49. They owe us at least one now!
  • Antix
  • Veteran

Lol. If they "give" us the sixth I'll never complain about refs again.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
They called offensive interference on Lloyd, when Claiborne was draped all over him. Lloyd had his elbow out to defend himself and the ref threw the flag on him instead of Claiborne. That was costly, as Kap had hit Vernon down the field. All you can say is it was the first regular season game for them, too. That said, they've been officiating together since the first preseason game...so really, no excuse for not getting calls right.

To me, it was about the TIMING of these "clustered" calls. Calling early calls (x3) on Brooks to "set the tone" re: illegal contact and then early in the second half to "get this game closer."
Originally posted by Antix:

Lol. If they "give" us the sixth I'll never complain about refs again.

Me either!
Here is a great read if you want: http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?220031-Is-the-NFL-an-Entertainment-Business-like-the-WWE
I can provide you links to long-winded diatribes about the 9/11 being an inside job and the moon landing being fake with a ton of circumstantial evidence, but I think those are equally absurd so I'm not going to waste my time!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
NFL hates niners
I never understood the whole Ray Lewis conspiracy. What did the NFL have to gain by letting Ray Lewis go out on top?!

Like the Mr. NFL is sitting around picking arbitrary Superbowl winners.

"9-11 terrorist attack on NYC -> America mourns -> Patriots -> New England wins. Done deal. F Tony Gonzales, but Ray Lewis and Jerome Bettis seem like a good doods. 49ers win SB 49 obvi. SB 50 -> 50 -> half century -> century link"....utoh

I never understood the whole Ray Lewis conspiracy. What did the NFL have to gain by letting Ray Lewis go out on top?!

"9-11 terrorist attack on NYC -> America mourns -> Patriots -> New England wins. Done deal. F Tony Gonzales, but Ray Lewis and Jerome Bettis seem like a good doods. 49ers win SB 49 obvi. SB 50 -> 50 -> half century -> century link"....utoh
Giants-Broncos Super Bowl. Manning versus Manning. Book it.

LOL! wow....
To be honest, it is tough to make some of these calls in real time and I do feel that NFL officials have become overburdened with calls that they have to now make.
It looks like they let the SeADDERALL CHEATHAWKS get away with everything and call all the other teams. Just like last year. So I guess it is consistent.....
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Sep 8, 2014 at 2:22 PM ]
Originally posted by buck:
Part time officials just are not getting it done right.

The league needs to have full-time, well-trained, and well-paid officials.

They need to be paid based on performance. After every game, they should be evaluated and paid accordingly.

Refs that can never seem to get it right should be fired.

If they did this, I'd be willing to bet any amount of money that the officiating would improve dramatically.
Share 49ersWebzone