LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 240 users in the forums

Why no consistency in the officiating???

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by ram29jackson:
Originally posted by NCommand:
I appreciate the good fight and certainly respect your perspective (and would never attack your perspective; I'd keep an open mind to it)...esp. if you have some specific insight that helped raise your red flags long ago...just having that perspective from that long ago, certainly focuses ones attention going forward and I'm sure at this junction, the patterns are clear. I started out personally, just like Bob, Cel, duke, etc. believing the game was pure packed with integrity...but over years and years of watching the NFL, the "product on the field, " with the access the fans have today, social media, etc. it became damn near impossible to constantly ignore what is right in front of your face. It IS an entertainment business. It was ruled as such. The NFL DOES have a legal license to basically, direct the game any way they want; it IS a business that is 100% grounded in HUGE profits, the "matchups" are well set up, even suspiciously at times, they have 100% control over the officiating crew, etc. But you are at a much deeper level than I am right now. It certainly doesn't mean you are wrong or that your perspective should be cast aside...challeged? Yes! But that would be expected! It's x100 harder coming from your perspective. Anyone can be na�. That's easy!

most of my doubts started for me when free agency came into full effect. When I still thought it was more legit I just figured teams were weaker due to free agency.

more later because I don't have the time right now to type that much.

why is this thing/site set up so when you type stuff like (cliché ) it has other symbols ?

Mine does that via na iPhone. Not sure...it's a hot mess. LOL
you are admitting that obvious clues pass you by and confuse you. An ex player is saying the NFL is like midget wrestling. Get it through your head and start actually thinking
An ex-NFL player that was a member of the Dallas Cowboys FIFTY YEARS AGO. Suppose the NFL was completely fixed in 1964 (it wasn't, but let's for a second pretend that it was), how on earth would that still have relevance today? Everything is different. Literally every player is different. Every owner is different. Every member of the league office is different.

Do you take every quote you read completely literally? Rashard Mendenhall referred to himself as an "entertainer" so that is somehow proof of the NFL is fixed. He said it clear as day.

Kellen Winslow Jr. once infamously referred to himself as a "soldier". Do you take that to literally mean that Kellen Winslow is a military soldier?

Boxer Prince Naseem Hamed once said that "[he] has the heart of a lion." Do you take that to mean that doctors surgically replaced his human heart with the actual, beating heart of a lion?

Jim Harbaugh once responded to a question in a press conference by saying, "I don't take vacations. I don't get sick. I don't observe major holidays. I'm a jackhammer." Do you take that to mean that is literally a power tool that somehow looks like a human and has the ability to talk?

I mean, how can you argue any of those things? Jim Harbaugh clearly revealed that he is, in fact, a jackhammer. It does not get any more clear or unambiguous than that.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
[ Edited by DeUh on Oct 29, 2014 at 4:51 PM ]
Originally posted by theduke85:
An ex-NFL player that was a member of the Dallas Cowboys FIFTY YEARS AGO. Suppose the NFL was completely fixed in 1964 (it wasn't, but let's for a second pretend that it was), how on earth would that still have relevance today? Everything is different. Literally every player is different. Every owner is different. Every member of the league office is different.

Do you take every quote you read completely literally? Rashard Mendenhall referred to himself as an "entertainer" so that is somehow proof of the NFL is fixed. He said it clear as day.

Kellen Winslow Jr. once infamously referred to himself as a "soldier". Do you take that to literally mean that Kellen Winslow is a military soldier?

Boxer Prince Naseem Hamed once said that "[he] has the heart of a lion." Do you take that to mean that doctors surgically replaced his human heart with the actual, beating heart of a lion?

Jim Harbaugh once responded to a question in a press conference by saying, "I don't take vacations. I don't get sick. I don't observe major holidays. I'm a jackhammer." Do you take that to mean that is literally a power tool that somehow looks like a human and has the ability to talk?

I mean, how can you argue any of those things? Jim Harbaugh clearly revealed that he is, in fact, a jackhammer. It does not get any more clear or unambiguous than that.

the fact that it was 50 years ago means that its a business model to this day.its not a question of taking the wrong stuff literally. Its a question of deductive reasoning and piecing things together/

I can tell you Vikings/Pattersons long run sunday was orchestrated. Rams are just running with him and touch his shoulder and falling down.

san Diego's QB throws two balls at guys feet when they are only a field goal away from winning the game if they get down field. But they still covered LOL

Denver can do no wrong in the first half and then in the second their WRs hands become stone or they cant convert a 3rd down and now the colts do all the scoring. if you can find the onside kick you should be able to tell the Broncos player is just pretty much giving back the ball LOL and the Colts come all the way back to at least cover as well.

the missed field goal by the Colts that hit the upright.
how convenient that a penalty was called right then. That was just in case it went through and they could nullify it.

I know how a holder can help a kicker to miss a field goal. Do you know how its done ?
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DeUh:
Ok.

I hate the fact that there is a lack of consistency in the officiating and Roger Goodell is as fake as they come.

That being said, I played 4 years in the SEC and a lot of my friends currently play in the NFL. All that conspiracy talk in this thread (players and coaches involved etc.) is just ridiculous!

Awesome, just a former D3 linebacker that knew a couple UDFA's that didn't survive training camp in the late 70's. Probably your code of silence prevents you from saying much but any insight is appreciated, the rest of us are just guessing what goes on behind closed doors.
Originally posted by DeUh:
Ok.

I hate the fact that there is a lack of consistency in the officiating and Roger Goodell is as fake as they come.

That being said, I played 4 years in the SEC and a lot of my friends currently play in the NFL. All that conspiracy talk in this thread (players and coaches involved etc.) is just ridiculous!

Mendenhall also said this:

Today, game-day cameras follow the most popular players on teams; guys who dance after touchdowns are extolled on Dancing With the Starters; games are analyzed and brought to fans without any use of coaches tape; practice non-participants are reported throughout the week for predicted fantasy value; and success and failure for skill players is measured solely in stats and fantasy points. This is a very different model of football than the one I grew up with. My older brother coaches football at the high-school and youth level. One day he called me and said, "These kids don't want to work hard. All they wanna do is look cool, celebrate after plays, and get more followers on Instagram!" I told him that they might actually have it figured out.
Mendenhall also said this:

Today, game-day cameras follow the most popular players on teams; guys who dance after touchdowns are extolled on Dancing With the Starters; games are analyzed and brought to fans without any use of coaches tape; practice non-participants are reported throughout the week for predicted fantasy value; and success and failure for skill players is measured solely in stats and fantasy points. This is a very different model of football than the one I grew up with. My older brother coaches football at the high-school and youth level. One day he called me and said, "These kids don't want to work hard. All they wanna do is look cool, celebrate after plays, and get more followers on Instagram!" I told him that they might actually have it figured out.
Absolutely none of that even remotely supports the notion that the NFL is fixed. You have serious comprehension issues if that's how you interpret it.
Absolutely none of that even remotely supports the notion that the NFL is fixed. You have serious comprehension issues if that's how you interpret it.

actually it does lead towards that conclusion. He does this 3 or four times in the article and this does prove I have incredible comprehension skills.
Until you admit to yourself that all these fantastic outcomes cant happen without manipulation you will continue to believe the hype and not be able to discern such obvious clues.

him saying the kids have it right that its all superficial at the highest level speaks volumes.

the reason officiating is inconsistent is because it is done for a desired outcome.It is that simple.
fast forward to 17:07 of video, expand youtube window to see better.

a slo-mo of the play with Moss and a DB going after a pass.

they get close and grab each other but don't really push off at all. I doubt it was legal to just hold a guy for 10 yards 14 years ago.

they hold each other,Moss leading/guiding the DB and the DB nods at Moss. Moss touches the DBs shoulder to make him turn to the ball.

Moss got a little injured because its still a sport LOL but no complaint about being held and no officials say anything and the announcers avoid it too.

Yes, because it happened just last season.

In week 14 in a pivotal divisional game against the Seahawks, Vernon Davis held Richard Sherman on the 51-yard, game-sealing run to put us into field goal range. It happened right in front of the official with 4:18 left in the 4th quarter (sorry, just missed the under-4 minute criteria). This did not happen behind the play -- Richard Sherman probably would've tackled Gore had he not been held. At 0:14 seconds you into the video you can clearly see that Davis' holding cause Sherman to briefly lose his balance.

Yeah, I saw that when it happened and assumed that the play was not going to count. As I monitored the score widget in the corner I waited for the yellow pop out. I held back from jumping up and down because I thought it was coming back and was robbed of a game winning celebration.

I still think the calls balance themselves out. There was another questionable one in that game, Crabs fumbled earlier and was ruled down/play called dead even though he wasn't down. I consider it to be Hagalanche prevention

The bigger the game, the more the officials are going to be criticized. Right now in the NFL there is no bigger game than SF/SEA, so the officials are going to get beat up pretty hard. I do wish there was a lot more consistency.
[ Edited by Rathmanator on Sep 12, 2014 at 12:30 PM ]
come on people. I want to hear the excuses for the example in the video above.
  • Phil
  • Veteran
I'm starting to think the officials do in fact attempt to sway games in certain directions. Either that or they're just idiots.
Simply put, there are too many rules and penalties in football. Many of the rules are very subjective and penalties cannot be reviewed. The system is screwed up.
Originally posted by NinerJedi:
Simply put, there are too many rules and penalties in football. Many of the rules are very subjective and penalties cannot be reviewed. The system is screwed up.

that's on purpose to get the outcome they want of course
Share 49ersWebzone