There are 207 users in the forums

Why no consistency in the officiating???

Shop 49ers game tickets
The league has supposedly made a lot of efforts to make calls more consistent across the league. Why does it seem like they always over call us, but rarely call the same things on the Seahawks.

Here's one case in point(really I'm just buying time until they upload the coaches film so I can review that :)))) )

3'rd and 10 for the Pack - Maxwell is making contact at about 9 yards off the LOS(LOS was the 38) No call - GB punts

3rd and 21 Dahl makes the same contact 7 yards off the LOS - 5 yard penalty and automatic first down. Dallas goes on to score on this drive.

Seriously - What the crap is going on??? They gotta make this more consistent.
First of all, this stuff is hard to call in real-time. Obviously when you slow it down and can step through frame by frame it's easy to see what's happening. These calls are subjective, and sometimes they're going to get it wrong. Maybe the refs didn't see the particular infraction you pointed out in the Seahawks game; maybe they saw it but didn't think it warranted a call.

Second of all, these were different officiating crews. Some crews may be more lenient or aggressive than others. It's possible that after this game the crew at the Dallas came will get a call from the league office and say, "hey, those penalties you called, they were too ticky-tacky. In the future, let plays like that slide. If the contact is superficial don't call it."

I don't think it's fair to look at a few plays like this and assume that there is inconsistency or preferential treatment or anything else. It could simply just be random variation and bad luck. (Of course, that would be the rational way to think, I'm sure this topic will soon be flooded with dozens of accusations of Goodell hating us and there being a league-wide conspiracy of the NFL trying to force us to lose.)
[ Edited by theduke85 on Sep 8, 2014 at 1:02 PM ]
Only Vegas knows
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Only Vegas knows

this
paul allen has roger goodell by the balls with compromising photos of him & pia carroll
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Honestly somebody threw out the idea of refs throwing flags to keep games close and I think they're on to something. It just amazes me year after year refs continuously suck at their jobs. I dont think there's necesarilly conspiracies against particular teams, but it seems the NFL is more than okay with having s**tty refs. Actually, I think they prefer it.

If the NFL gave a damn about refs that replacement ref fiasco woulda never happened and they'd have full time professional referees by now. If these guy were 40-50 hours a week on the job and made mistakes, then fine. But everything is not being done to uphold the games integrity. And on top of this thry make their job harder and harder every year bu giving them more s**t to look for. I mean its f**king almost laughable how much money the NFL makes, but they can't fix refs? Makes no sense.
Originally posted by theduke85:
First of all, this stuff is hard to call in real-time. Obviously when you slow it down and can step through frame by frame it's easy to see what's happening. These calls are subjective, and sometimes they're going to get it wrong. Maybe the refs didn't see the particular infraction you pointed out in the Seahawks game; maybe they saw it but didn't think it warranted a call.

Second of all, these were different officiating crews. Some crews may be more lenient or aggressive than others. It's possible that after this game the crew at the Dallas came will get a call from the league office and say, "hey, those penalties you called, they were too ticky-tacky. In the future, let plays like that slide. If the contact is superficial don't call it."

I don't think it's fair to look at a few plays like this and assume that there is inconsistency or preferential treatment or anything else. It could simply just be random variation and bad luck. (Of course, that would be the rational way to think, I'm sure this topic will soon be flooded with dozens of accusations of Goodell hating us and there being a league-wide conspiracy of the NFL trying to force us to lose.)

Oh I'm not saying it's a conspiracy - I'm more venting frustration that it seems like we tend to get a lot more ticky tack calls than other teams. If that penalty isn't called against us, the game is a complete blowout - if that penalty is called against Seattle - who knows.....

I also totally understand that they are different officiating crews - but the league has been spouting for years that they're going to be more consistent in that area and it's not happening.

Here's another example:

This was from last year - Brooks was flagged for "roughing the passer - hit to the head of the QB" This call was what turned this game - if Brooks isn't called for this it's our ball and we win(and have homefield advantage in the NFCCG too)

This was Sunday - you see CK get hit in the chin with the defenders helmet - enough to push the cage of his mask up to his eye level - no call..... I just want to see more consistency from the officials because this kind of inconsistency has truly cost us a lot in the past.....
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Only Vegas knows

this

This. WWE
  • thl408
^^ argh that pic (Kap getting hit) makes me mad. Glad our QB is a big boy and can take those hits. That was a hell of a shot he took.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Part time officials just are not getting it done right.

The league needs to have full-time, well-trained, and well-paid officials.

email your final list to MB and MM.
Originally posted by jreff22:

?? List?? I'm confused at what you're telling me.
Originally posted by jonnydel:

When you get all the coaches tape and give one of your detailed overviews of the facts....email that out to one of the beat writers
Oh I'm not saying it's a conspiracy...

I "am!" It's not necessarily against the 49ers per se' but the 49ers are a great team and as a result, are IN more positions to have a bunch of...and I mean a BUNCH of critically-timed questionably calls against us affecting the overall results of games (point spread). Vegas is built on point-spreads, not particular teams winning. That said, the NFL, aka WWE (in the legal system) is about creating key matchups for dramatic and entertaining purposes (b/c that = $) and is given a license to do so...from the Pat's after 911 to Ray Lewis' "last ride" American's love drama. The Hawks (12th man = $) winning the Superbowl is good for the NFL...so is having Brady, Brees and Manning is good for the NFL, etc. At some point you don't even need tin foil to see it with your own eyes...but as a fan, despite the corruption in sports across the world and highly documented, who wants to believe it?

Here is a great read if you want: http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?220031-Is-the-NFL-an-Entertainment-Business-like-the-WWE
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 8, 2014 at 1:29 PM ]

When you get all the coaches tape and give one of your detailed overviews of the facts....email that out to one of the beat writers

Ahhh, gotcha lol
Share 49ersWebzone