LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 275 users in the forums

Which current NFL product do you enjoy more?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Which current NFL product do you enjoy more?

The problem is that the "old school" football leads to more injuries.

Football players are starting to win cases against the NFL.

NFL will probably push against the desires of the fans to an extent to protect themselves legally.

This brand of football is safer...and leads to higher scores which the average person (note I didn't say average fan) enjoys more.

Hell, most fans don't appreciate a 6 to 3 game.
[ Edited by Jakemall on Sep 16, 2014 at 9:41 AM ]
Originally posted by Jakemall:

NFL will probably push against the desires of the fans to an extent to protect themselves legally.

This brand of football is safer...and leads to higher scores which the average person (note I didn't say average fan) enjoys more.

It's not like games 10-15 years ago either were ending 6-3, very rarely you would see that. I don't enjoy that either, but also don't enjoy seeing a TD on almost every drive. I understand some of the new rules since they are trying to protect the players, but I don't see how giving a WR a nudge will result to life threatening injuries, and I don't think anybody has ever gotten a concussion from Peyton or Kap saying a bad word to them...
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:

It's not like games 10-15 years ago either were ending 6-3, very rarely you would see that. I don't enjoy that either, but also don't enjoy seeing a TD on almost every drive. I understand some of the new rules since they are trying to protect the players, but I don't see how giving a WR a nudge will result to life threatening injuries, and I don't think anybody has ever gotten a concussion from Peyton or Kap saying a bad word to them...

No, not every game was like that, but you'd see one or two a week like that.

Personally, I love those games. One mistake and the game flips. It is exciting to me. It's the opposite of basketball where you almost expect each team to score every time they touch the ball.
  • BobS
  • Veteran

It depends, the evolution of what constitutes a personal foul makes the game safer. On the other hand allowing blockers to do what would have been holding and illegal use of hands back in the day on every play probably makes the game more dangerous. Quarterbacks have more time to throw so on an average route runners can attain higher speed, faster collisions equal more injuries. As far as blockers are concerned, it is far easier to suffer a hand, elbow, arm or shoulder injury with your arms extended and exposed compared to the old days where you had to keep them close to the body. Of course modern science has guys playing with injuries they probably would not have had in the past so comparing games missed due to injuries other than concussions would probably be pointless.
[ Edited by BobS on Sep 17, 2014 at 2:49 PM ]
Originally posted by jreff22:
I like when they call all games the same. If Sea gets to hold, so does the rest of the league.

This x 100
Share 49ersWebzone