LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 266 users in the forums

Surprise! Surprise! Go-ahead Seattle TD was Illegal

Shop 49ers game tickets
Not sure, but I believe they can go pass the 1 yard if they are still engaged to the original person they were blocking.
They can't let up and move to a different defender.
Not 100% sure but I remember reading that in the rule book.
New tricks in the Cheat Carrol bag of puke.
Originally posted by speedster:
Not sure, but I believe they can go pass the 1 yard if they are still engaged to the original person they were blocking.
They can't let up and move to a different defender.
Not 100% sure but I remember reading that in the rule book.

And what exactly is number 82 doing? Looks like he is run blocking in the endzone when Wilson is looking to pass....LOL
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Sep 5, 2014 at 7:30 PM ]
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
And what exactly is number 82 doing? Looks like he is run blocking in the endzone when Wilson is looking to pass....LOL

Not sure about that, I was talking about #64 and #68. If they were still engaged then they can go beyond the 1 yard.
So if the center was still blocking the original defender he can go beyond 1 yard. I didn't record the game so can't really go back and see if this is the case last night.
[ Edited by speedster on Sep 5, 2014 at 7:34 PM ]
People think SEA was fooling GB badly, but its easy to fool a defense when you don't play by the rules. Everyone run block and then we'll pass it and hope the refs don't see..hee hee!
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Looking at the pictures #82 is blocking and I think that is ok, since RW is out of the pocket.
#64 and #68 go to the second level and start engaging linebackers 2 yards beyond the line of scrimmage. #82 is 2nd TE and eligible.
Originally posted by rorrim:
#64 and #68 go to the second level and start engaging linebackers 2 yards beyond the line of scrimmage. #82 is 2nd TE and eligible.

And this is legal?
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
In all levels of footbal, being "engaged" in a block is counted as wherever the defender's body is when he becomes blocked by an offensive player. In this case, the LOS was at the 33 1/2 yard line, Unger "engages" at the 30 1/2 yard line...penalty. Period. If you look at the film at the 0:28 mark, you'll see that Unger is clearly at the 2nd level in relation to the other Seahawks O-linemen.... Even if the Packers player takes a step toward the LOS, Unger cannot "attack" him. He should have helped his RG like he did to start the play, then kickslide left to prevent inside penetration. This is so clear it's laughable.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Damn, these guys are good at cheating.

I guess we need a lesson on counting hash marks, since the C never gets to the 30 yard line, even after the ball is thrown.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DavidWGibson:
I guess we need a lesson on counting hash marks, since the C never gets to the 30 yard line, even after the ball is thrown.

As stated in the video "On a scrimmage play during which a legal forward pass is thrown, an illegible offensive player...is not permitted to move more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage before the pass has been thrown."

The LOS was the 33 and the center's left foot is clearly on the 31 yard line when the pass is thrown (engaged). So the 30 yard line is irrelevant. (And if you watch closely, as Lockette catches the ball he is clearly on the 30 yard line, since that seems to matter to you.)
Called it out in the gameday thread, the center definitely took off downfield right before Wilson began to throw... now is that what the DB actually saw when he ran up to support... who knows.

The packers were dead in the water once Bulaga then Lacy were out anyways. Sherrod scored 12 for the seahawks by himself lol.
Originally posted by DavidWGibson:

He was sprinting towards the LB releasing to the second level. When a center starts running downfield.... thats an offensive lineman downfield, weird.

And of course its by design, they all have the same timer in their heads... watch the next game, they tell their tackles to stay put and wash the line of scrimmage but the interior free lineman to take off to the second level at an angle at a certain second mark to draw defenders up and allow more room for RW & WR.
[ Edited by 5280High on Sep 5, 2014 at 9:57 PM ]
If you slow it down you will see initial contact was made with the linebacker while the center was still on the 32 (Line of scrimmage is the 33) The engage continues as the center pushes the linebacker further till the ball is released where the center is at the 31.

Yes the rulebook states:

Article 1 Legal and Illegal Acts. On a scrimmage play during which a legal forward pass is thrown, an
ineligible offensive player, including a T-formation quarterback, is not permitted to move more than one
yard beyond the line of scrimmage before the pass has been thrown.

but it also states which the NFL network didnt add in there video:

Item 1: Legally Downfield. An ineligible player is not illegally downfield if, after initiating contact with an
opponent within one yard of the line of scrimmage during his initial charge:
(a) he moves more than one yard beyond the line while legally blocking or being blocked by an
opponent; or
(b) after breaking legal contact with an opponent more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage,
he remains stationary until a forward pass is thrown; or
(c) after losing legal contact with an opponent more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage, he
is forced behind the line of scrimmage by an opponent, at which time he is again subject to
normal blocking restrictions for an ineligible offensive player.

Contact was made close to the 1 yard mark if you freeze frame at point of engagement so per the league rules it was legal.
Share 49ersWebzone