There are 124 users in the forums

Surprise! Surprise! Go-ahead Seattle TD was Illegal

Shop 49ers game tickets
Ex 49er Eric Davis jumped all over this one. No wonder Lockette was so open.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-am/0ap3000000389713/Was-Seahawks-touchdown-legal

Not saying they would have lost but these ref "mistakes" at Century Link are getting too numerous to mention.
I remember a roughing the kicker penalty that they called running into the kicker that may have cost us last season's NFC Championship.
I don't know... The linebacker came up to play the run and the center really wasn't "downfield." It is a grey area, though.

Really, the GB defense misplayed it and that linebacker block is kind of inconsequential. GB just got beat, plain and simple.
I think Phil called it in the gameday thread also. Thats whyn the DB "bit" so hard.
Originally posted by DavidWGibson:
I don't know... The linebacker came up to play the run and the center really wasn't "downfield." It is a grey area, though.

Really, the GB defense misplayed it and that linebacker block is kind of inconsequential. GB just got beat, plain and simple.

Yes, anything beyond one yard is downfield. The defense misplayed it because it was a "run read". The block is not inconsequential, at least to Eric Davis, whose explanation was very clear. I thought the same thing when I saw the re-run of the play last night and was telling my wife that they should have been called for an illegal blocker downfield. It's not a grey area. He's at least 3-4 yards downfield. Penalty.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
How is this Niner talk?
Originally posted by kezarvet49:
Yes, anything beyond one yard is downfield. The defense misplayed it because it was a "run read". The block is not inconsequential, at least to Eric Davis, whose explanation was very clear. I thought the same thing when I saw the re-run of the play last night and was telling my wife that they should have been called for an illegal blocker downfield. It's not a grey area. He's at least 3-4 yards downfield. Penalty.

No, he took one step forward. He is less then one yard away from the next closest lineman. And the linebacker he blocked was on the other side of the field than the WR.
[ Edited by DavidWGibson on Sep 5, 2014 at 2:27 PM ]
Originally posted by susweel:
How is this Niner talk?

Eric Davis was a Forty-Niner, and he was talking about it.

Happy to translate whenever you need it, bro.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by susweel:
How is this Niner talk?

Eric Davis was a Forty-Niner, and he was talking about it.

Happy to translate whenever you need it, bro.

Lol
enough about them

damn. focus on us.
Who cares? This just comes off as cynical and trying to diminish Seattle's accomplishments. Face it, they're a great team.

I remember at the end of the Arizona-Seattle game (when Arizona ended Seattle's home winning streak in week 15 or 16), there was this interception that Wilson threw that was super borderline: the ball looked like it bounced off the turf instead of a DB's fingers. It was ruled an interception, but the play was reviewed by the refs. If there was a conspiracy, the refs could've easily overturned that play (personally, I thought they should have). Instead, they let the interception stand and Seattle lost the game.

Originally posted by kezarvet49:

No, he took one step forward. He is less then one yard away from the next closest lineman. And the linebacker he blocked was on the other side of the field than the WR.

No. When the o-lineman has advanced beyond 1 yard of the LOS, that tells the entire defense it's a run play, and the ball CANNOT be thrown. That affects the thought process of every defender on the field, and it's why they all converged on Wilson and let Lockette loose.

The ball cannot be thrown once a lineman is downfield for this exact purpose. The rule is to prevent teams from using cheap tricks such as this. If you wan't to sell run, you use play-action, not this. It's a penalty, period.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
No. When the o-lineman has advanced beyond 1 yard of the LOS, that tells the entire defense it's a run play, and the ball CANNOT be thrown. That affects the thought process of every defender on the field, and it's why they all converged on Wilson and let Lockette loose.

The ball cannot be thrown once a lineman is downfield for this exact purpose. The rule is to prevent teams from using cheap tricks such as this. If you wan't to sell run, you use play-action, not this. It's a penalty, period.

The CB wasn't watching the center. I'm pretty sure nobody was. It was a read option. They were watching the QB. They didn't rush the QB because the center took one step forward.

The LOS was at the 33 yard line, the center initiated his block on the DE, took a step forward and met the LB, who came up to meet the RB, at the 32 yard line.

Hell, the C's right foot is almost touching the G's left foot... That's not downfield.
[ Edited by DavidWGibson on Sep 5, 2014 at 2:50 PM ]
The CB wasn't watching the center. I'm pretty sure nobody was. It was a read option. They were watching the QB. They didn't rush the QB because the center took one step forward.

The LOS was at the 33 yard line, the center initiated his block on the DE, took a step forward and met the LB, who came up to meet the RB, at the 32 yard line.

Hell, the C's right foot is almost touching the G's left foot... That's not downfield.

No. Everyone has their eyes on the o-line and backfield. You can see Matthews and Shields diagnosing the run-action by surveying what the o-line does. This is how defenders diagnose run/pass. If the o-line stays on the LOS, you know it could be play-action. If the lineman is downfield (and he was clearly 2-3 yards downfield) it MUST be a run, and it absolutely affected how the defenders reacted to the read-option. That is an illegal play, period.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Sep 5, 2014 at 2:57 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:

He was downfield bro. The td should have been called back. G.B. was going to lose regardless, but refs have to get these calls in.
its the refs fault for not catching it. they would have won the game anyway.
Share 49ersWebzone