There are 263 users in the forums

How should the NFL handle players convicted of criminal acts?

Shop 49ers game tickets

How should the NFL handle players convicted of criminal acts?

• fryet
  • Veteran
It seems like the NFL is currently doing Option 3, and they are now in a no win situation where the media likes to whip up a frenzy when the NFL gets the valuation "wrong". But I am curious to hear what everyone else thinks.

Btw:
Option 2 means something like 4 weeks for first offense, 1 year for second, ban for third. Option 4 is permanent ban for first offense. Option 1 views it as a legal matter, and NFL should not take further action than what the courts impose.
Let our Justice System handle it. The NFL has it's nose where it doesn't belong.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Tough question. Every situation is different and should have a different punishment. However, they definitely screwed the pooch in the Ray Rice situation. I think Aldon, as much as I don't like it, got lucky he wasn't banned for a year after so many repeated offenses.
Depends on thhe crime and if it's a repeat offense.

Rape, child molestation = Castration

Murder =

Assault = 6 game suspension for the first offense

Coke, Heroin, Meth =

Weed = Forget about it.
  • Phil
  • Veteran
If a guy is doing heroin I think he should be put in rehab, long term for the season, and be given a second chance. Has that ever happened in the NFL? A lot of the guys are addicted to major opiates I'm sure. Injecting it simply has the stigma attached. You know, how rush Limbaugh can be an oxy fiend and get away with it but if he was shooting the stuff it would be the end. Coke? Soooo many people have done or will do coke (recreationaly). You should have seen the 80's, it was everywhere. I caught the tail end of that in the late 80's. Meth? A whole hell of of lot of sports players take amphetamines. It has always bothered me how some of the compounds can be less acceptable in the form they take or the manner ingested.

PED's should have more severe punishment than drugs taken for the high. PED's impact and cheapen the game. Drugs taken for a high impact the players personal life and if anything will weaken his performance long term. Drug and alchohol addiction should be treated as a sort of psychological illness not punished as criminal behavior. What they did to Gordon and Aldon was lame.
Share 49ersWebzone