LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 165 users in the forums

NFL still fighting for the Blackouts rule

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Really interesting read about the NFL lobbying the FCC about how the blackout rule is still necessary to keep football televised for free. Watch/read how the money machine works.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/08/nfl-fights-to-save-its-tv-blackout-rule/

The National Football League (NFL) is trying to convince the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to preserve 39-year-old blackout rules that prevent games from being televised locally when tickets remain unsold. Last season, two games were blacked out locally in the regular season, while several blackouts were narrowly averted in the playoffs.

The FCC considered a proposal to eliminate its blackout rules last November, with then-acting Chairwoman Mignon Clyburn saying that the rules are outdated. Today, the rules aren't actually responsible for the majority of blackouts, and they "have little relevance for sports other than professional football, because the distribution rights for most of the games in these sports are sold by individual teams, rather than the leagues," the FCC said.

Fans convinced the FCC to act
Fans don't always see it that way.

The FCC opened its recent sports blackout proceeding after a 2011 petition by several groups representing fans, which said that the rules are "anti-consumer." The petition accused the NFL of "charg[ing] exorbitant prices for tickets," resulting in lower attendance, and then punishing fans by blacking out games if seats remain unsold.

I think it would be great to see the teams prosper more so than the NFL. Anybody actually understand more about the FCC and the Blackout rule?
[ Edited by sfout on Aug 10, 2014 at 12:52 PM ]
I think the NFL's threats are kind of hollow. Yes they can take their ball and put all the games on cable networks, but there are indications that ratings and ad revenue would both suffer as a result of that. The games featured on NFL Network haven't done nearly as well as those on broadcast television so I think that the FCC should go ahead and call the NFL's bluff. Just my ten cents on the matter.

NFL games aren't really free. I usually don't get to see the ones I want to see. Let em pull them.
f**k Goodell. He probably can't handle the fact that someone with more power is telling him what to do.

How does it feel to be bent over for once Roger?
Originally posted by Jakemall:
NFL games aren't really free. I usually don't get to see the ones I want to see. Let em pull them.

To say nothing of the horrendous number of commercials and product placements that infect every NFL broadcast.
Originally posted by Existence:

To say nothing of the horrendous number of commercials and product placements that infect every NFL broadcast.

lol yeah and during the game the have promos of the new s**tty shows on network tV.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

lol yeah and during the game the have promos of the new s**tty shows on network tV.

The whole broadcast is one big ass commercial. The stadiums all have advertisements all over them. It's like those s**tty chicks magazines. Every time you look up they're trying to sell you some s**t.
Originally posted by Antix:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

The whole broadcast is one big ass commercial. The stadiums all have advertisements all over them. It's like those s**tty chicks magazines. Every time you look up they're trying to sell you some s**t.

haha yeah the worst is in between plays, instead of replays, they have promos. Makes me sick. Even its just a 7 yard pass by CK, i still want to see the play. And even its a 3 yard run, i want to see what occured.

Pisses me off.
The NFL needs to lower ticket prices. That's why stadiums are half ass filled on Sundays. You shouldn't have to take out a loan to see your favorite team play in person. I've been trying to find tickets to the Cowboys/49ers game and $200 nosebleeds is as cheap as they get. Thank God I don't have a son to take.

Share 49ersWebzone