LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 274 users in the forums

RB Glenn Winston

Shop 49ers game tickets
Much better burst then Hamptons ever shown. Would love to see him on p-squad.
I know the usual are calling the Web zone for having another preseason hero....but im interested in keeping this guy because he is 6'1 220...but runs like Hunter and Gore....When I saw that run, I thought for sure he was another small back we had....very surprised by his size and ability to run low.

I'm also curious to see how he is catching out of the backfield. Would be nice to have a Ricky Waters type back catching out of the backfield.

Would rather keep Glenn over Hampton (who reminds me of Hyde).

We don't know how Lattimore will come about...would be nice to have an insurance in Glenn in the mean time.
Well I think Lattimore is going on the Pup list and of course Gore,Hyde,and James are probably set. I really think Winston is the best of the rest much better than Hampton and if he can catch out of the back field better than Smith. Of course he must be able to pass block too.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I doubt Winston makes the team, but he immediately showed more promise than Hampton. Lattimore is expected to be activated at some point this season, so I think we stash Winston on the practice squad. He will be good competition for next year.

He's played ONE pre-season game, he's got character concerns, and he went undrafted -- I'm not worried that someone would pluck him off waivers.

This.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Hyde on special teams. I hope he likes to tackle.
I doubt Winston makes the team, but he immediately showed more promise than Hampton. Lattimore is expected to be activated at some point this season, so I think we stash Winston on the practice squad. He will be good competition for next year.

He's played ONE pre-season game, he's got character concerns, and he went undrafted -- I'm not worried that someone would pluck him off waivers.

Am I the only one reminded of LeGarrette Blount by OTC's statement?
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:

Am I the only one reminded of LeGarrette Blount by OTC's statement?
Those character concerns are way in the past. If character is the concern there are a couple guys on the team way more at risk.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
I know the usual are calling the Web zone for having another preseason hero....but im interested in keeping this guy because he is 6'1 220...but runs like Hunter and Gore....When I saw that run, I thought for sure he was another small back we had....very surprised by his size and ability to run low.

I'm also curious to see how he is catching out of the backfield. Would be nice to have a Ricky Waters type back catching out of the backfield.

Would rather keep Glenn over Hampton (who reminds me of Hyde).

We don't know how Lattimore will come about...would be nice to have an insurance in Glenn in the mean time.

Don't have to worry about that anymore.
One less player in the way of Winston with Hamton being cut he might get that last spot i think if he has a great game vs Houston they cut Alfonso Smith for him no way the Niners go into the season with only 4 backs including Miller on the active.Ohh i Also forgot making it easier for him Lattimore was put n the NFI list to start the season.

Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
One less player in the way of Winston with Hamton being cut he might get that last spot i think if he has a great game vs Houston they cut Alfonso Smith for him no way the Niners go into the season with only 4 backs including Miller on the active.Ohh i Also forgot making it easier for him Lattimore was put n the NFI list to start the season.

I think Smith has a big advantage because he has actual NFL experience. Above and beyond all other things, what you want from a 4th RB is a guy who won't get your QB killed and who hopefully can contribute on special teams, for that, Smith fits the bill perfectly. I'm actually kind of hoping that the 49er don't even play Winston or give him a bare number of snaps to increase the chances that he makes it to the PS.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
If you cut Winston, I am pretty sure he will be claimed and won't make the PS. At some point, we will have to deal with the LMJ situation, it is long overdue. 7 carries for 9 yards in the last game, self-explanatory really. Likewise, I haven't seen much from Alfonso Smith neither. Let's see how Winston does against the Texans, if he continues to perform, he could just become the No. 3 RB and make the 53-man roster. As green as he is, there is a lot to like about this kid, size, speed, explosiveness, vision, he has great potential to be a legit power back.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by Rascal:
If you cut Winston, I am pretty sure he will be claimed and won't make the PS. At some point, we will have to deal with the LMJ situation, it is long overdue. 7 carries for 9 yards in the last game, self-explanatory really. Likewise, I haven't seen much from Alfonso Smith neither. Let's see how Winston does against the Texans, if he continues to perform, he could just become the No. 3 RB and make the 53-man roster. As green as he is, there is a lot to like about this kid, size, speed, explosiveness, vision, he has great potential to be a legit power back.

Don't see how he would be claimed. Every team in the league had a chance to sign him between the end of the draft and midway through the preseason. There is some risk, but at this point, guys that look decent against third stringers are a dime a dozen. That said, he looks really good and I hope he isn't claimed if we expose him.

Well, teams didn't want to touch him at that point with so little tape and so much unknown plus the guy had been to prison. However, if he carries on to perform like last week to put on tape, like I said the chances are he will be claimed.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Let's see how he performs in the last preseason game. Remember, Thomas Clayton looked mighty good in multiple games, and he wasn't plucked off our practice squad of 2 or so seasons.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:

I think Smith has a big advantage because he has actual NFL experience. Above and beyond all other things, what you want from a 4th RB is a guy who won't get your QB killed and who hopefully can contribute on special teams, for that, Smith fits the bill perfectly. I'm actually kind of hoping that the 49er don't even play Winston or give him a bare number of snaps to increase the chances that he makes it to the PS.

Blah u just still mad cuz ur boy Hampton got cut, glad u aint on the coaching staff
Share 49ersWebzone