LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 271 users in the forums

Patrick Peterson: 5 year extension for $70M with $48M Guaranteed

Shop 49ers game tickets
Good deal. Being paid the most doesn't mean you the best just mean's you got a new contract right after another guy got a new contract. I think Sherman and Haden are better than Petersen. Petersen still a top level CB and deserved the contract. Plus he has special teams value
Originally posted by Baldie:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Well deserved. The best CB in the NFL and still has potential to be even better.

Agree. He got more money than Sherman for a reason.

Meh, I think Sherman is better

Well the defense that Sherman is on is absolutely better. But if you put them on mediocre defenses, its a toss up for me. Don't matter if your an elite CB, your team can still lose games because you can't cover every WR/TE.

Really? I completely disagree with this statement. Patrick Peterson is asked to do it all by Arizona, and he does it at a high level. The Seahawks experimented with allowing Sherman to do it all in 2012 and he couldn't do it so the Seahawks have since relegated him to more of a zone coverage role on the left side of the defense (I know this is slightly oversimplified, but conceptually it is accurate.) I am not going to argue that Sherman hasn't performed his role at a high level, but it is not debatable that his role is far less extensive than Peterson's. He simply doesn't have as much on his plate. Because of Peterson's ability to lock down a teams #1 WR at a high level, you can build a defense around him, a la Revis. Sherman is merely a great piece of an established defense.

Put them both on mediocre defenses and Peterson will still stand out, and Sherman would likely fade into obscurity.
  • JoRo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Baldie:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Well deserved. The best CB in the NFL and still has potential to be even better.

Agree. He got more money than Sherman for a reason.

Meh, I think Sherman is better

Well the defense that Sherman is on is absolutely better. But if you put them on mediocre defenses, its a toss up for me. Don't matter if your an elite CB, your team can still lose games because you can't cover every WR/TE.

Not here to argue Sherman vs. Peterson, but the thing that kills me is that Peterson goes on and on about he's the best shutdown corner in the league, but he doesn't shut down anyone. His QB rating against him is like 90+. That's horrible. My favorite quote on .net

Dang... a lot of money to tie in a corner that gets owned by Crabtree twice a year.
Good for him. I agree Peterson is the better all around corner and would translate to other schemes/teams, but Sherman with Thomas saving his hide is the more dominant CB right now. But take Sherman out of that scheme or have Thomas go down with injury... hard to see him flourishing the same way.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
good for him.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
but will be forever Crabtree's b***h
Hard for me to see how anyone who understands the game thinks Sherman is better. Sherman is more productive in an overall better defensive system - not the same thing. Peterson is on the opposition's #1 receiver something like 66% of the time, while Sherman is on the opposition's #1 receiver something like 33% of the time. Peterson is moved all over the field and often left by himself on a #1. Sherman almost always gets help over the top if he faces a #1. Peterson has the elite speed to be a traditional shut-down corner. Sherman is a 4.6 guy who thrives in a system built to hide his deficiencies and allow him to do what he does best - mug receivers up close and then follow.
eh, good for him. He's a great player. I'm just glad Sherman got signed before Peterson's deal. They're both getting a crap ton of money, this is just bragging rights at this point. Peterson has the slightly bigger contract, Sherman has the ring. I think Sherman still wins. I don't see Arizona winning a ring anytime soon with the Niners and Hawks in the mix.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Good deal. Being paid the most doesn't mean you the best just mean's you got a new contract right after another guy got a new contract. I think Sherman and Haden are better than Petersen. Petersen still a top level CB and deserved the contract. Plus he has special teams value

Yup. This is the reason I wish Sherm got signed before Haden. Just as a fan, you always want to see your players take smaller deals.
I'm just happy the Arizona Cardinals have committed 48 million in guaranteed money to a CB. Don't get me wrong, he's a great player. But you'd think a team that still has long-term issues to address in the backfield, WR, OL, QB, and LB would could use that money more wisely.

Originally posted by midrdan:
I'm just happy the Arizona Cardinals have committed 48 million in guaranteed money to a CB. Don't get me wrong, he's a great player. But you'd think a team that still has long-term issues to address in the backfield, WR, OL, QB, and LB would could use that money more wisely.

Yeah but if you got that talent, do you potentially let it walk?
he likes being crabtree's b***h, sherman likes being johnsons b***h and EVERYONE is Boldin's b***h.
Originally posted by zaghawk:

Yeah but if you got that talent, do you potentially let it walk?

Depends on how you run your team. I don't think Baalke works that way. Baalke sets a value for the corner position and makes things fit within that structure. That's the way they've done it in Green Bay and New England (before this current year) for a long time and I think it's a long-term winning formula. You don't necessarily get carried away with any particular performance at any particular position with the possible exception of the quarterback.

This is a great point. Peterson is real good, but where is the Cardinals' main problem. I would say it's offense.
he is the first one in that 2011 first round to secure a huge long term deal. 15 years from we'll look at that first round and there will be loads of HOF'ers
Share 49ersWebzone