LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 251 users in the forums

TE Kyle Rudolph: 5-year extension worth $36.5M

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by crabman82:
gronk, graham and to a lesser degree some others have ruined how people view te's. its like if you dont have huge rec numbers you arent good. not knowing who kyle rudolph is kind of outs you as just a niner fan and casual nfl observer. guy was in the pro bowl 2 years ago.

Not exactly fair to say that. I follow the rest of the NFL and I'm fully aware he was in the Pro Bowl 2 years ago. He was actually the MVP of that game. I know stats aren't everything. We've been defending Vernon Davis as a complete TE for years, so 49ers fans should know.

I just don't see 300-400 yards receiving per year as being worth $36 mil. I'm sure he'll eclipse that in the future, which goes back to my point, he's being paid on what he might do in the future. It's not like he's been tearing up the league this entire time.

you know aswell as i do that its not a 36 million dollar contract, just like nate clements wasnt a 80 million dollar contract. the devil is in the details. either way i'm not so much debating whether he is worth it or not as i dont really care. i was more floored by a couple of others in here not even knowing who he is considering he beasted on us in 2012 and made the pro bowl winning mvp honors. do they even football? just goes to show how most fans know their team, other teams top tier stars and thats about it.
You get paid for 2 things:

1) Past Production

2) Future Potential

Right now he's being paid purely on potential. The production isn't there. That's all I'm saying. Obviously he's talented. Great RZ weapon.

s**tty QB play is irrelevant to me. Jordan Cameron almost produced in one season what Randolph has done in 3 seasons, with an equally s**tty QB situation.

yea you have point there but Arizona plays run and gun while Min's scheme is power run I think Cam jordan is as good as rudolph but dont know that much of either
Originally posted by Since07:
yea you have point there but Arizona plays run and gun while Min's scheme is power run I think Cam jordan is as good as rudolph but dont know that much of either

Yeah I actually expect Rudolph to post much better numbers this year. TEs typically do well under OC Norv Turner.
Originally posted by crabman82:
gronk, graham and to a lesser degree some others have ruined how people view te's. its like if you dont have huge rec numbers you arent good. not knowing who kyle rudolph is kind of outs you as just a niner fan and casual nfl observer. guy was in the pro bowl 2 years ago.

Straight up. TEs are not recievers they are OL/WR rudolph is a great blocker to in a power run scheme
  • LVJay
  • Veteran

Yeah I actually expect Rudolph to post much better numbers this year. TEs typically do well under OC Norv Turner.

Boom! They're a lil under the radar if ya ask me... I'd like to see what he can do with that offense and average QBs / Bridgewater.

That defense is prolly gonna hold them back, however.

Doesn't Cameron play for Cleveland?
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Doesn't Cameron play for Cleveland?

yea thats right! The browns run pwr run too, shot down my point, can you imagine if Jordan got paid 5 yr 36 mil!? How odd; I dont think that hes a good blocker though I ould be wrong

Jordan Cameron is a TE for Cleveland.

Cam Jordan is a DE for New Orleans.

And yes, Arizona passes a lot.
[ Edited by WRATHman44 on Jul 28, 2014 at 1:30 AM ]
No opinion on whether he's any good or not but "Pro Bowl MVP" isn't really an accomplishment.
He is not that great of a te, maybe 10th best in the nfl. He is getting paid way way too much. Vd had Alex smith and non existent passing game and still got 13 tds and almost 1000 yards. Minn doesn't have much of a qb or passing game but he is targeted a lot so he doesn't get open and relays mainly on his height for production in the redzone. This is why he is not a consistent weapon. Disappears until the redzone and maybe, just maybe will get a td. Don't expect a average amount first downs or yards.

Originally posted by elguapo:
He is not that great of a te, maybe 10th best in the nfl. He is getting paid way way too much. Vd had Alex smith and non existent passing game and still got 13 tds and almost 1000 yards. Minn doesn't have much of a qb or passing game but he is targeted a lot so he doesn't get open and relays mainly on his height for production in the redzone. This is why he is not a consistent weapon. Disappears until the redzone and maybe, just maybe will get a td. Don't expect a average amount first downs or yards.

Some times players jus click like Cutler to Marshall. Alex and VD definitely had chemistry.That mght be true hes a star in the red zone but hes no normal chump
Originally posted by Afrikan:
LOL WAT!?

He's averaged 36 catches, 352 yards, 5 TDs in 3 seasons. That has earned him the 5th largest TE contract? Wow.

and who was his QBs?...lol.

they got him at a fair price, because IMO he play up to his contract.

Dude is Damn Good.

You get paid for 2 things:

1) Past Production

2) Future Potential

Right now he's being paid purely on potential. The production isn't there. That's all I'm saying. Obviously he's talented. Great RZ weapon.

s**tty QB play is irrelevant to me. Jordan Cameron almost produced in one season what Randolph has done in 3 seasons, with an equally s**tty QB situation.

You get paid for 1 thing:

1) The value a team determines you're worth

More than 2 factors go into what a player is worth to a team. Past production is more of a minor possible reward if they produced for your team, and future potential plays a more significant part in a long term deal like this, but their assessment of current ability is the main thing they're paying for. They obviously believe he can do what they want out of a TE they'd offer that amount of money to. He's a complete TE with the blocking etc, I'm sure they value his locker room presence, work ethic, personal responsibility, and all those smaller things that tack on value to a player. He's also actually played really well if you've watched their games. He only played half a season last year.

And it only really fully guarantees $7.46 million in a "team-friendly" deal.
Originally posted by baltien:
No opinion on whether he's any good or not but "Pro Bowl MVP" isn't really an accomplishment.

the award itself, not it isnt. but to make there is. his wasnt a gravy trained i been in the league 10 years so toss me a sympathy pro bowl appearance a la jeff saturday in green bay. even if he was an alternate and replaced someone it shows that hes got some game.
He'll get better stats w/Bridgewater at QB.

As far as all that $ - we'll see. I'm sure their coaches really believe he'll be special.

He'd better be special w/that kind of a deal.
he had 9TDs 2 years ago with Ponder and played only half of the season last year, averaged 10 yards a catch....if he played even better this year with Norv Turner, some other team might've offered much more.

they have a good set of players on offense to build around.

Adrian Peterson
Cordarrelle Patterson
Kyle Rudolph
Greg Jennings
and Jermome Highlight Got away with a serious crime Simpson

Norv has some toys to play with....MUCH better than what he had with us.
Share 49ersWebzone