There are 103 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Breakout / Surprise team 2014?

Breakout / Surprise team 2014?

I didn't vote, because I chose Detroit. If stafford can't make the playoffs with those weapons, they might as well trade him.
i will say the Chargers.
Rams
I'll go with the Bills.

Their defense was pretty outstanding last year. Byrd and Alonso(injured) are gone but there is still a lot of talent on that side of the ball. It all depends on E.J. Manuel. He's got the weapons with Watkins and Spiller, and a decent O-line.

Not gonna win the division over New England, but there is no reason why they can't come in 2nd over NYJ and Miami.
I think the Steelers are going to be good this year.
Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
I was gonna go Arizona, but then went Cardinals.

I agree. Arizona

Opposite here.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by strickac:
So far HOU is ahead in the poll. I agree. That team that is better than their record indicated but had piss poor QBing the year prior. Their division isn't strong and now they get a soft schedule due to sucking last year. They also play the NFC East which is soft, and Fitzpatrick can bring steady, unspectacular play at QB.

Losing Kubiak will probably kill their running game though. Foster is a product of their zone blocking. He's not going to put up the numbers he did in the past. I think they'll be mediocre and a fringe .500 team.

O'Brien utilizes a combination power and zone blocking scheme. At least that's what was done in NE when he was there. If he forces HOU to go full power run scheme, he will be disappointed. So I don't see O'Brien doing a full 180 with regards to the run blocking scheme. Fitzgerald is average on a good day, but that is still better than how Shaub played.

So based on that and their soft schedule, I think they are the surprise team. At this point in the year, your guess is as good (bad) as mine.

Houston will be last years KC....but fitz won't get the credit like ...
Jeeez, I completely spaced the Eagles made a play-off game last year - my bad. So I agree, they wouldn't qualify as a surprise - except I don't think many fans took them as a serious conference champion contender.

Detroit to me wouldn't be a surprise because they SHOULD win more - heck, each year they are expected to compete to get in the playoffs and they just underperform.

If it is AZ or the Rams, damn this NFCW division is going to be tough. But I agree, Rams looked stacked with talent now and AZ was coming together last year.
Originally posted by Overkill:
I'd pick the Rams if they weren't in the NFCW. I'll go with the Bills instead. That would be more of a surprise than a breakout.

I read it as a surprise and picked the Bills too. There is talent there on both sides of the ball now and New England has been slowly slipping for years eventually they will cave and the Bills have made just enough changes that I could see them being a shocker divisional contender....Jets have an outside chance in that division too.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
So far HOU is ahead in the poll. I agree. That team that is better than their record indicated but had piss poor QBing the year prior. Their division isn't strong and now they get a soft schedule due to sucking last year. They also play the NFC East which is soft, and Fitzpatrick can bring steady, unspectacular play at QB.

Losing Kubiak will probably kill their running game though. Foster is a product of their zone blocking. He's not going to put up the numbers he did in the past. I think they'll be mediocre and a fringe .500 team.

O'Brien utilizes a combination power and zone blocking scheme. At least that's what was done in NE when he was there. If he forces HOU to go full power run scheme, he will be disappointed. So I don't see O'Brien doing a full 180 with regards to the run blocking scheme. Fitzgerald is average on a good day, but that is still better than how Shaub played.

So based on that and their soft schedule, I think they are the surprise team. At this point in the year, your guess is as good (bad) as mine.

See dont think Houston would be a suprise though... some of these teams were too good last or just had a one bad year kind of scenario that may or may not mean they actually stink.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

See dont think Houston would be a suprise though... some of these teams were too good last or just had a one bad year kind of scenario that may or may not mean they actually stink.
exactly my point
if they beat the 49ers in week 1....I think Dallas would be the break out team.
I would of said the Falcons but .............

Don't buy Houston .... in fact unlike so many here, I put my money where my mouth is (easier to do here in Nevada) ... bet $20 against Houston winning 8 .. I think more like 6 with Fitzpatrick.

And speaking of money-mouth got $25 on :
  • Balt winning more than 8.5
  • Niners winning more than 10.5
  • Carolina winning more than 8.5
  • Seattle more than 11.5 (my heart and money always part ways)
Originally posted by 5timechamps:
i will say the Chargers.

Oh yeah I got Chargers winning less than 8.5 also. Last year they played 4 games against the NFL Least ... different story playing NFCW.