There are 301 users in the forums

Jaworski's QB List 2014

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Great post. I think the 49ers top playmakers are better, but the Seahawks had more depth and superior pass concepts last year.

One thing the Seahawks do that is very smart is frequently line up in 3 WR sets, grouping most of the receiving options to one side of the field. This made things infinitely easier on Wilson. He's a young QB that gets tunnel vision just like every other young QB. The difference is the Seahawks schemed it so he often only has half-field reads. I wish the 49ers did this more often with Kap.

Lynch is a difference between the teams but it's a big difference. It's also their line play, giving him room to run. Gore was stopped dead by Seattle's ability to forget the pass game and over play run...which allowed them to contain CK and stop Gore. It's been an issue with the niners for the last three years and may be as much play calling as players.
getting a little out coached as well
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Lynch is a difference between the teams but it's a big difference. It's also their line play, giving him room to run. Gore was stopped dead by Seattle's ability to forget the pass game and over play run...which allowed them to contain CK and stop Gore. It's been an issue with the niners for the last three years and may be as much play calling as players.

Agree. I actually don't think Seattle's line play is that good, which speaks to Lynch's ability and toughness as a runner. The Seahawks love to run out of their 3 WR sets as well. It spreads the field more, making things less congested, and gives Lynch opportunities to run over or around isolated defenders.
Agree. I actually don't think Seattle's line play is that good, which speaks to Lynch's ability and toughness as a runner. The Seahawks love to run out of their 3 WR sets as well. It spreads the field more, making things less congested, and gives Lynch opportunities to run over or around isolated defenders.

Yes, and there is also the matter of the niners line being beaten up last year. I'm hoping that with the back up improvements J Smith and company can be rested a bit more. Also think they should blitz more into gaps...Willis and Bowman are deadly tacklers.
Sofa, nice point of 3 WR sets grouped("trips")to one side of field allowing a young qB with tunnel vision to see all receivers. Agree that would help kap immensely.
I just happened to see his list and lol'd
Originally posted by Empire49:
Romo and Flacco are WAY too high.

Big Ben is to far past his prime to be rated so highly!
Originally posted by T-9ers:
Originally posted by WilliamDonovan:
I don't take issue with him, i take issue with a guy that says "see i'm right, Wilson won a SB before Kap because he's smarter" when hes actually wrong because that has nothing to do with why Seattle won.

What you say is true, but ultimately I was still correct. Whether it was just a lucky guess or whatever, I remember Wilson on tv doing analysis, and he was probably the smartest guy in the room. But seriously, to think Wilson had nothing to do with why Seattle are champions is ridiculous. All Im implying is when Colin's brain catches up to his physical ability, he will be unstoppable. Russell has probably already peaked, f**k Russell Wilson anyways, I believe Colin can win more than 1 eventually.

Yea you were almost correct, if you left the statement at RW would win one first. Unfortunately you went into detail and said it would be because he's smarter, which made you're statement incorrect.
Originally posted by WilliamDonovan:
Yea you were almost correct, if you left the statement at RW would win one first. Unfortunately you went into detail and said it would be because he's smarter, which made you're statement incorrect.

Smarter is not a word defined by the Wonderlic Test. There are many elements to being smart and many types of intelligence. The Wonderlic is a general knowledge test and favors those with broad, superficial knowledge and good quick recall. Another way to gauge intelligence, just as bad in my opinion, is articulation--interviews. RGIII would be the champion among young QBs. Both are indicators of intelligence but have little to do with how a guy plays football. Gabbert has a higher Wonderlic than CK, Smith or Wilson...not sure he plays "smart" football.
Originally posted by T-9ers:
That's a valid point, but i more thinking about the tipped pass by Sherman and interception.
They sucked him into that read. His first read by the way.

Good point.
Yeah I remember yelling at the TV to look for Patton (wide open on that play).

I'm not sure that it still wasn't a good read at that point though, I mean CK said it himself that if he put that ball 1 foot further we would have been in the SB.
Then I would be changing my name to
Quest4seven
[ Edited by Quest4six on Jul 25, 2014 at 9:44 AM ]

I so tired of reminding people of this and I'm telling myself this will be the very last time I point this out: nobody "sucked Kaepernick into a read." As Steve Young and a number of other former QB's and analysts have pointed out, when you see the defense loaded up on one side of the field and singled up on the other, you throw to the single coverage, especially when the game is on the line. Young has said on numerous occasions that he would have made the same throw. All that happened here was Kaepernick didn't get the ball quite far enough and Sherman and the linebacker made a great play. So yes, it's on Kaepernick, but IMO it's not because he made a stupid play or because he was fooled into something, it's because he didn't throw an absolutely perfect pass and the #1 defense in the league made a great play. For gods sake, let's move on.
The other thing that these "analysis people" leave out is Wilson benefits tremendously from the hawks offense.
We do things a little differently for CK in terms of allowing him to make reads as opposed to Wilson.

For example, the hawks WR core is stacked up with a bunch of quick and agile players. Our guys are not that way, we tend to depend on the physical aspect of getting open whereas Seattle depends on their speed.

Watch Wilson's plays next time you get a chance, the dude plays QB with training wheels on and it works great for him. His play system is literally to have his guys go out and try to create separation with their athleticism. If that doesn't happen then all the receiving players are taught to come back to the ball and the play is thus deemed broken (where Midget usually thrives)
Lots of people say Wilson is an intelligent and calm QB because of how effective he is at making reads, well the way I see it he is isn't really making any reads he's just waiting for the play to breakdown so he can use his feet and make things easier on himself. I think this year some DC out there is drafting up some coverages that Wilson hasn't seen and it will result in him getting flushed out or sacked.

Then because the media sucks this kind of play gets compared to CK who isn't taught to do that. I'm sorry but if Boldin isn't open within the first 5 seconds chances are he is not going to shake that coverage, which is going to require CK to throw the ball with dang near 100% accuracy. CK isn't taught to roam and create time for our guys, he is taught to make his reads and get out if they don't open up.
I think we will see a change in that this year, i would like to think Roman expanded his play book and I'm optimistic.
To me, it's a little premature to call Kaep a 1 read QB or not as good a pocket passer as some other QBs, I think we are going to find out what he is made of this year and hopefully it'll stop the squawking from up north.
[ Edited by Quest4six on Jul 25, 2014 at 10:20 AM ]
Truth. If anyone actually bothered to watch Seattle in the divisional and nfccg round, they'd see Wilson was pretty underwhelming in both contests. Of course he made a few plays using his exceptional improvisational skills, but the down-for-down consistency was lacking. They won because the defense was locked in shutdown mode. I'll give him credit for playing a very solid game against a Denver team that was completely overwhelmed in all phases.

I really think our D let us down in that game. Do I put the game on them? No. But the D really fell apart at key moments.
Originally posted by crake49:
I so tired of reminding people of this and I'm telling myself this will be the very last time I point this out: nobody "sucked Kaepernick into a read." As Steve Young and a number of other former QB's and analysts have pointed out, when you see the defense loaded up on one side of the field and singled up on the other, you throw to the single coverage, especially when the game is on the line. Young has said on numerous occasions that he would have made the same throw. All that happened here was Kaepernick didn't get the ball quite far enough and Sherman and the linebacker made a great play. So yes, it's on Kaepernick, but IMO it's not because he made a stupid play or because he was fooled into something, it's because he didn't throw an absolutely perfect pass and the #1 defense in the league made a great play. For gods sake, let's move on.

I agree. The throw was a hair too short. If he completed that. We are calling him a god. There was a TD he threw to Boldin I think that went between 2 Seattle defenders. It was a great throw. But, it almost got picked. I look at the final throw in the hawks game in the same way. Read wasn't bad. The throw just wasn't good and the Seattle defender made a great play to tip the ball. If that play is there next year, I hope he makes the throw. I don't want my QB second guessing himself or playing with fear.
Jaws commentary is garbage. Dude doesn't know talent.
Share 49ersWebzone