There are 114 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Double headers on FOX and CBS

Why can't we have 2 games on each network every Sunday? This is something that has pissed me off since I was a kid. Obviously has to do with some kind of tv rights between the NFL and the networks, but what's the point? Those networks are only obligated to show football once a week(well now CBS will be showing Thursday games, but this is new this season), so why can't double headers be a reality?
It's because of the fact that we have two local teams in our market. It bugged me a lot going back to when I was a kid as well.

For example if the Niners played @ Atlanta or @ New Orleans at 10AM, and the 1PM Fox game was going to be Green Bay VS Tampa Bay, we wouldn't get that game because we'd be getting the Raiders game at 1PM on CBS. That's why I like when the Raiders have a bye or play on Monday/Thursday night football.

This is one reason why many in LA say they don't want a team back. The way it is currently, they get to see the best game of the week on both networks.
you can, fork over for the ticket.
I usually always have the ticket.

To the first reply, I live in Los Angeles so I don't know how that affects me. I know the Chargers can affect what games are aired and there's a big Raiders following here so there games are shown a lot.

But does any of this have anything to do with why the networks rotate on who gets to air two games each Sunday?
Originally posted by est1985:
I usually always have the ticket.

To the first reply, I live in Los Angeles so I don't know how that affects me. I know the Chargers can affect what games are aired and there's a big Raiders following here so there games are shown a lot.

But does any of this have anything to do with why the networks rotate on who gets to air two games each Sunday?

which begs the question, if you usually always have the ticket then why does it bug you so much? as a teenager it would irritate me because i lived out of market of my fav team. once i got the ticket i stopped caring about it.
redzone channel
The Raiders need to move back to LA and all will be good!
I grew up in the 50's and 60's, back then only away games were shown on TV, home games were always blacked out. There were no doubleheader games until the last 2 games of the season. There was a one hour preview show Saturday afternoons, and Saturday evenings a one hour highlight show from the previous week. That's it! Local stations would show 1 minute highlights of the home team on Sunday nights.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
I grew up in the 50's and 60's, back then only away games were shown on TV, home games were always blacked out. There were no doubleheader games until the last 2 games of the season. There was a one hour preview show Saturday afternoons, and Saturday evenings a one hour highlight show from the previous week. That's it! Local stations would show 1 minute highlights of the home team on Sunday nights.

Yes, bad old days! Although, it made the sunday games a bigger deal perhaps.
I dont know how you guys handle on the west coast handle 10am games and 1pm games. I am in central time zone, so 1st set of games on sunday is at noon which is perfect, and 2nd set is at 3pm. that allows you to sleep in/nurse hang overs, bet on games you like, pick up some food, and get to buddies place to watch all day from noon to 6pm.

10am start time would kill me. what time does the pre-game shows start like 7am? thats too early. and sunday nighter is 7-10pm which also works perfect.
Originally posted by Canadian9erfan:
I dont know how you guys handle on the west coast handle 10am games and 1pm games. I am in central time zone, so 1st set of games on sunday is at noon which is perfect, and 2nd set is at 3pm. that allows you to sleep in/nurse hang overs, bet on games you like, pick up some food, and get to buddies place to watch all day from noon to 6pm.

10am start time would kill me. what time does the pre-game shows start like 7am? thats too early. and sunday nighter is 7-10pm which also works perfect.

I'm on the West Coast and love the start times. Games start at 10am with the pregames starting at 9am on the national channels. So if I attend mass its usually saturday evenings or early Sunday so I make it in time for the 10am kickoffs. The Sunday night games kick off at 5-5:30pm and usually finish 8:30-9pm which is about the time I get to bed for work the next morning so it works out for me.

I live in Central California and all Niner games are shown (even the Raiders for that matter). I used to have the Sunday Ticket but don't do it anymore.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
one of the few things we can agree on
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
one of the few things we can agree on

It had to happen sooner or later.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jul 24, 2014 at 11:37 AM ]
The NFL deliberately limits the number of games on free TV because there is a lot of money incentivising them to gate access to their content whenever they can. ESPN, Sunday ticket, NFL network, NFL redzone all pay for you to not get an extra "free game" per week.
Originally posted by Baldie:
Originally posted by Canadian9erfan:

I'm on the West Coast and love the start times. Games start at 10am with the pregames starting at 9am on the national channels. So if I attend mass its usually saturday evenings or early Sunday so I make it in time for the 10am kickoffs. The Sunday night games kick off at 5-5:30pm and usually finish 8:30-9pm which is about the time I get to bed for work the next morning so it works out for me.

I live in Central California and all Niner games are shown (even the Raiders for that matter). I used to have the Sunday Ticket but don't do it anymore.

I loved it in AZ, the rebel state with their own timezone. When I moved to a state when time actually changed I was like .

11 am kick offs rocked. The late games didn't end too late.
[ Edited by WINiner on Jul 24, 2014 at 5:39 PM ]