LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

Kansas City Chiefs name is "offensive" and should be changed as well.

Shop 49ers game tickets
Lo
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
The Lord Chief Rocka, number one, Chief Rocka

LoRds of The UnderGroUnd
Originally posted by 16to87:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
My niece is very much in favor of changing the name from Redskins. Also she is "totally embarrassed" by her College's name:

Oregon State Beavers. Also, the "Redskins" actually do have a bunch of options. The "SKINS' or something better yet,
the "Foreskins". I think the latter would be more suitable.
You know when the Beavers and the Trojans square off it's gonna be a real humdinger!

BTW if someone is of greek decent should they be offended that a rubber is named after their ancient warriors?

If the Trojan condoms are really named after its namesake, shouldn't they burst after use?
[ Edited by Jakemall on Jun 27, 2014 at 10:41 AM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by LVJay:
This!

Native Americans prolly like the representation. Also, the logo doesn't have a lame image of a face that offends Native Americans. If only they could win a SB for them and the fans...

Now, of course, if Vernon Davis painted a NEW image/master piece for a team like the Cleveland Indians / Redskins (that's a different story)....

I'm sure one of Vernon's works of art would make this entire issue go away.

Hell yeah man, I'm fittin to rush over to Santana Row right now... talk some bidness wit dis foo

Where my attornies at (McLeod Bethel-Thompson)?!
  • buck
  • Veteran
The word Sioux was a French mispronunciation of an Ojibwa insult for their western enemies, the Dakota or Lakota.

The original Ojibwa word meant "snake eyes" in English.
[ Edited by buck on Jun 28, 2014 at 8:59 AM ]
nm
[ Edited by Jakemall on Jun 28, 2014 at 9:04 AM ]
Originally posted by MarkD:
When a group of people that the team is named after isn't offended than how can if be offensive ?? Also when I say group I mean more than just 3 people. To many in this country are waiting to be offended by something so they can complain and feel important.

How do you know this? Do you have a survey link, or a story?

Also, has anyone been able to explain why 'Chiefs' is offensive? Isn't that just a leader of a tribe? Redskins I can at least understand a little, Chiefs has me puzzled. It actually sound complimentary. But what do I know.
[ Edited by Bluesbro on Jun 28, 2014 at 11:26 AM ]
The "Chefs" would be fine.

All they'd have to do is change one letter.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Getting rid of these team names would really erase Native Americans from the minds of the masses. They should be proud that a team is supporting them and keeping the Native American heritage alive

exactly - typical shortsightedness
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Excuse my ignorance, but how is "chief" offensive?

Their dicks in the US Navy

very good - lol
Originally posted by MarkD:
When a group of people that the team is named after isn't offended than how can if be offensive ?? Also when I say group I mean more than just 3 people. To many in this country are waiting to be offended by something so they can complain and feel important.

This is spot on.
[ Edited by RicetoYoung on Jun 28, 2014 at 1:57 PM ]

• Antix
  • Veteran
Let's just ban all mascots that have anything to do with people or groups of people.

Adios 49ers, Cowboys, Bucs, Texans, Patriots, Steelers, Titans, Raiders, Vikings, Saints, Giants.

Just name all of the aforementioned teams after their respective areas most populous bird and then they'll only be pissing off PETA
[ Edited by Antix on Jun 28, 2014 at 1:58 PM ]
Originally posted by Antix:
Let's just ban all mascots that have anything to do with people or groups of people.

Adios 49ers, Cowboys, Bucs, Texans, Patriots, Steelers, Titans, Raiders, Vikings, Saints, Giants.

Just name all of the preceeding teams after their respective areas most populous bird and only PETA will be pissed off.

LOL.

The sad part is the beginning of your post isn't far off. Teams will start having to name themselves after trees and grass or something stupid. But wait, then all the environmentalist will be offended. Dammit WE CAN'T WIN!
Can't people go out and do something productive??? Holy s**t, what the hell is our country coming to. All these over sensitive a*****es need to just get over this already.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HearstFan:
Getting rid of these team names would really erase Native Americans from the minds of the masses. They should be proud that a team is supporting them and keeping the Native American heritage alive

I disagree...what's even more sad/real is the fact the memory of the Native American legacy has been reduced to just a few sports names and logos. If the name's are changed would it cause some people to "forget" Native Americans? Possibly, but the fact the Native American is almost a forgotten People is not Professional Sports' fault....

Re: the idea that "Chief" is a respectable/high ranking title amongst Natives is true but also untrue....you see, many Native Americans didn't actually use the term "Chief" (obviously because Chief is an English word).

So here's the situation: For many years, sports teams have used names like Chiefs, Indians, Illini, Seminoles etc etc...
These names are English words that Native people don't speak, yet the names have been associated with them as a group....most without their permission.
THAT is where the situation of names becomes "offensive"...not that it hurts feelings, but its words/titles that they don't particularly use being linked to them without their permission.

That's how I see it anyway....
[ Edited by SaksV on Jun 28, 2014 at 3:44 PM ]
Originally posted by HearstFan:

bad post 3/10
Share 49ersWebzone