LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 281 users in the forums

Kansas City Chiefs name is "offensive" and should be changed as well.

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
why wouldn't native americans want an esteemed position represented by a nfl team? "chiefs" -- it's a positive image.
Originally posted by xcfan:
why wouldn't native americans want an esteemed position represented by a nfl team? "chiefs" -- it's a positive image.

I don't think it's even Native Americans that are causing a stink. It's white politicians in Washington conveying the message through media.

Maybe they're trying to tap into a voter base that they currently don't have. It's like they're telling Native Americans "Hey! Do you know that the term Redskin is racist? You should be mad! I'm sticking up for your rights! Remember to vote for me come election time!"

I hope nobody buys this B.S. There is nothing wrong with Redskin or Chief. Leave these teams alone. This is PC gone mad.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by ninerjok:
And change the Indians, Braves, Blackhawks, Seminoles and Fighting Illini while they're at it.

The college teams have support of those tribes, though. Otherwise they would have been changed already.

The one I don't get being brought up in some of these articles is the Golden State Warriors. Yes, it used to be in reference to a Native American Warrior, but now it's a generic classical greek "Warrior" or some bland thing. It's not Native American related at all, at least no more than "Soldier" or "Fighter" would be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwwY9y6O3hw
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by xcfan:

I don't think it's even Native Americans that are causing a stink. It's white politicians in Washington conveying the message through media.

Maybe they're trying to tap into a voter base that they currently don't have. It's like they're telling Native Americans "Hey! Do you know that the term Redskin is racist? You should be mad! I'm sticking up for your rights! Remember to vote for me come election time!"

I hope nobody buys this B.S. There is nothing wrong with Redskin or Chief. Leave these teams alone. This is PC gone mad.

This!

Native Americans prolly like the representation. Also, the logo doesn't have a lame image of a face that offends Native Americans. If only they could win a SB for them and the fans...

Now, of course, if Vernon Davis painted a NEW image/master piece for a team like the Cleveland Indians / Redskins (that's a different story)....
Originally posted by Overkill:
I find both the LA & Sacramento Kings offensive to my european ancestry and demand immediate compensation for emotional and physical distress.

This. I need some money to compensate me for the brutal injury to my feelings this has inflicted upon me.
Originally posted by LVJay:
This!

Native Americans prolly like the representation. Also, the logo doesn't have a lame image of a face that offends Native Americans. If only they could win a SB for them and the fans...

Now, of course, if Vernon Davis painted a NEW image/master piece for a team like the Cleveland Indians / Redskins (that's a different story)....

I'm sure one of Vernon's works of art would make this entire issue go away.
Originally posted by susweel:
for 70 years these names were fine and now they are suddenly offensive.
This statement is incredibly dumb and you should feel incredibly dumb. And anybody who's just dumb will understand why it's incredibly dumb.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
The beautiful thing about people like this lady is that they always love to use the word "we" like they personally speak for every single person of their race/ethnic group.
1950 the UNESCO officially has put down the hammer on racism: There are no human races there is only a human race. Now it's 2014 and half of the world still didn't get it. Pathetic.
The beautiful thing about people like this lady is that they always love to use the word "we" like they personally speak for every single person of their race/ethnic group. Its not "I and others are offended", it is "we" are offended.

The team does, however, play the tomahawk chop during games and welcomes fans in headgear and other stereotypes of Native American dress.

Those are some of the parts of the game day experience that Blackhorse calls "insane," and why she expects a fight that's gaining momentum and support nationally to come to Kansas City.

She knows that the vast majority of Chiefs fans will oppose her, but she also knows that the vast majority of fans in Washington opposed her, as well.

She says there is "no middle ground with this issue," that once an ethnic group is used as a nickname for a sports team, the people in that ethic group lose control of their identity and humanity.

"I don't want people to think I'm going around pointing fingers, like, 'You're a racist, you're a racist, you're a racist,' " she says. "That's not the point. The point is we're offended. You can love Native Americans to death. You can have admiration, love what we do, how we are, whatever, and still (hijack) our culture without understanding it that way."

this isn't about being offended--it is about feeling empowered by trying to change things you don't like by claiming offense
[ Edited by hofer36 on Jun 27, 2014 at 12:08 AM ]
The beautiful thing about people like this lady is that they always love to use the word "we" like they personally speak for every single person of their race/ethnic group. Its not "I and others are offended", it is "we" are offended.

The team does, however, play the tomahawk chop during games and welcomes fans in headgear and other stereotypes of Native American dress.

Those are some of the parts of the game day experience that Blackhorse calls "insane," and why she expects a fight that's gaining momentum and support nationally to come to Kansas City.

She knows that the vast majority of Chiefs fans will oppose her, but she also knows that the vast majority of fans in Washington opposed her, as well.

She says there is "no middle ground with this issue," that once an ethnic group is used as a nickname for a sports team, the people in that ethic group lose control of their identity and humanity.

"I don't want people to think I'm going around pointing fingers, like, 'You're a racist, you're a racist, you're a racist,' " she says. "That's not the point. The point is we're offended. You can love Native Americans to death. You can have admiration, love what we do, how we are, whatever, and still (hijack) our culture without understanding it that way."

when did offending someone become illegal---
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
This. I need some money to compensate me for the brutal injury to my feelings this has inflicted upon me.

Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by jeepzilla:
They made us here change the motto The fighting Sioux to The Sioux here at
The university of North Dakota which had been around since 1863.
"Fighting" was offensive. All the logos changed, clothing, everything.
Redicullous.

wow, that is ridiculous.

Notre Dame is the Fighting Irish. Irish people seem pretty proud about it. It symbolizes strength.

Hell, you could call Irish people a bunch of drunks and they seem pretty proud about it.

The logos of Notre Dame, the Minnesota Vikings, and the Boston Celtics dont offend anybody because white people dont get offended by that stuff.

What happened to people not taking things so seriously? Be proud someone wanted to name their team after your people, and dont be so sensitive about the logo or nickname.

Chief Wahoo is one of the greatest sports logos of all time. Is it not ok to draw cartoony versions of other races? Why are cartoony white people ok, but not native americans?

I seriously hope the original Redskins owners idea of putting a potato on the helmet comes true if they are forced to change.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

brb answering yes to all of the y/n questions.
Next we will hear that Satan is offended by the NJ Devils name.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I disagree...Chief is a position of great respect and admiration among our native Americans. There's a huge difference between it and Redskins, which is not an endearing term to describe a native American.

this
The Lord Chief Rocka, number one, Chief Rocka
Share 49ersWebzone