LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 150 users in the forums

Kansas City Chiefs name is "offensive" and should be changed as well.

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:
Originally posted by susweel:
for 70 years these names were fine and now they are suddenly offensive.
No, the Redskins name being offensive has been a legitimate issue since their inception and a vocalized issue for decades. The Chiefs name has never been offensive. It's an apples to oranges thing. One is a derogatory term directed at a single group of people, the other is the title of a tribal/clan leader (note Native Americans don't hold a monopoly on the Chief title), not remotely the same thing.

The thing is, the term "redskin" did not come about as a derogatory name. I get it, it was used as a slur during a time when things didn't go too well for American Indians, but it is a fact it's also a term that was used to express esteem for them, at first was used to describe red pigments applied to the skin, and originated with Indians themselves and they would use it in reference to each other. My grandfather grew up in Oklahoma and was part Choctaw, and he would always tell us how the Choctaw were the ones who "named" Oklahoma, = "red people".
Kansas City Chokers
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Kansas City Check Downs
  • Jiks
Kansas City Check Downs

I laughed
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Kansas City Chokers

Kansas City Check Downs

Damn I'm split between these two
Originally posted by verb1der:
Kansas City Chokers

Kansas City Check Downs

Kansas City check down choking game managers
Originally posted by BobS:
Sambo's was originally named not for "Little Black Sambo" but it was a combination of the founders names. The public incorrectly assumed the restaurant was named after the story of Sambo. I don't know what year but the owners started using Little Black Sambo to promote the restaurant, taking the misconception and running with it. They had pictures of Sambo and tigers on the walls and handouts of Sambo coloring books for kids. That was their downfall, they were accused of racism and a lot of black people boycotted the restaurant, there were even demonstrations in front of a few of them that drove off customers. It was a good place for a cheap hearty breakfast, ate there a lot as a child and young adult. I have a pretty good memory of my youth I don't think they were using the Sambo character in the late 60's but by the mid to late 70's it was wide spread. I believe they filed bankruptcy and closed most of the locations by 1981 or 1982.

We ate there on road trips all the time, thought nothing of it, times change, and so do the names of NFL franchises.
[ Edited by GolittaCamper on Jul 1, 2014 at 7:17 PM ]
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by BobS:
Sambo's was originally named not for "Little Black Sambo" but it was a combination of the founders names. The public incorrectly assumed the restaurant was named after the story of Sambo. I don't know what year but the owners started using Little Black Sambo to promote the restaurant, taking the misconception and running with it. They had pictures of Sambo and tigers on the walls and handouts of Sambo coloring books for kids. That was their downfall, they were accused of racism and a lot of black people boycotted the restaurant, there were even demonstrations in front of a few of them that drove off customers. It was a good place for a cheap hearty breakfast, ate there a lot as a child and young adult. I have a pretty good memory of my youth I don't think they were using the Sambo character in the late 60's but by the mid to late 70's it was wide spread. I believe they filed bankruptcy and closed most of the locations by 1981 or 1982.

We ate there on road trips all the time, thought nothing of it, times change, and so do the names of NFL franchises.

Ha, too funny, same here...perish the thought we'd ever fly, that was "for rich people"....we ALWAYS took long car trips with just the AM radio or traveled in luxury if we borrowed grandpa's car that had FM AND an 8-track! But yeah, one of the only things I looked forward to on these road trips was being able to eat at Sambo's. I'm pretty sure the only one left is the original down in Santa Barbara.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 16to87:
Originally posted by verb1der:
Kansas City Chokers

Kansas City Check Downs

Kansas City check down choking game managers

with small hands
  • Jiks
The above post's should not be allowed because I like Alex, and making fun of his team offends me. Mods please ban everyone for life and a lawsuit will be coming shortly...

Off topic but my Utah "Utes", have to change their fight song from "Utah man am I" to "Utah fan am I".

I mean, give me a f**king break. The fact that we have to change a tradition because it's offensive is getting ridiculous. What about us that are offended by people being so offended about every little thing? Where are our rights?
[ Edited by JiksJuicy on Jul 2, 2014 at 11:06 AM ]

Originally posted by SaksV:
Most of those above mentioned names do not denote an actual "race" of people though... so that's why those names aren't considered "offensive"..
Those are social names..like an occupation;

Example: Anybody can be a "Steeler" if they work in a steel factory...anyone can be a "Patriot" if they fight for their country...
Not everyone is nor can be an "Indian Chief"..it's more of a cultural/racial term. There's a difference.

My 100% Italian grandfather was made an Honorary Chief by local tribes in the Bay Area in the late 60s due to his civil rights assistance. But, yeah, not exactly the same thing as the occupation names.
Originally posted by Shorteous:
Well I promise that somebody is funding the fight, so the people making the fight are doing it as a means of making a living. This is their job.

On another note if chief is offensive than the following are as well Vikings, Patriots, 49ers, Buccaneer, Packers, Cowboys.

And the one that offends me the most is the GIANTs, really because their better than small people right??

Agree and believe there is a difference between Redskins, a descriptive term that is not a name, opposed to Chiefs which is a name for a leader. All the other names (except for 49ers) are also group oriented rather than being descriptions. I have some relatives who came to California during the 1840's so I could probably mount an offensive to change the name to the San Mateo Relocators...lacks a certain je ne sais quoi.

I'm not native american so might lack sensitivety, but Redskins doesn't bother me--though it certainly can be construed as demeaning. I still lament the loss of the Stanford Indian logo. It was a proud name and not at all negative in my opinion.
I think with The Chiefs, its not a slur or derogatory description like Redskin.I feel they are reachin with this one.
Give them the measles or chicken pox and eliminate the opposition.
There name is defensive.

Rename them something badass like the Mohicans or Hiyawathas.
Share 49ersWebzone