There are 184 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Kansas City Chiefs name is "offensive" and should be changed as well.

According to the plaintiff in the Redskins trademark lawsuit. This only strengthens the case of those who have been pushing the "slippery slope" argument and have said that this would never end with just the Redskins.

The Washington Redskins aren't the only NFL team whose name bothers some Native Americans.

The Kansas City Chiefs should also change their name to avoid giving offense, according to Amanda Blackhorse, the lead plaintiff in the case that the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office just decided against the Redskins.

"I'm not sure there's anything the [Chiefs] can do at this point other than look for another name," Blackhorse told the Kansas City Star. "They could be the team that says, 'You know what? We understand the issue and we don't want to be Dan Snyder and fight this in court forever. We want to do the right thing and move forward and avoid this entire battle.' I'm sure fans will be upset, but still, that's doing the right thing. If they want to be sensitive to Native American people, that's the thing to do."

Blackhorse's sister, Kristy Blackhorse, is part of a group of Native Americans in Arizona who plan to protest at two Cardinals games this season — not only when the Redskins come to town in October, but also when the Chiefs come to town in December.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/26/plaintiff-in-redskins-patent-case-urges-chiefs-to-change-their-name/
for 70 years these names were fine and now they are suddenly offensive.
I was told I was building a straw man and that someone was going to marry their toaster for thinking this was a slippery slope.

What do you register for when you're going to marry a toaster? Would looking for other appliances be considered cheating?
Alex Smith to Reid: Yes! Now we can call ourselves The Corn Dogs, plus mustard.
Originally posted by maltz88:
I was told I was building a straw man and that someone was going to marry their toaster for thinking this was a slippery slope.

What do you register for when you're going to marry a toaster? Would looking for other appliances be considered cheating?

Whole Foods for the organic toaster pastries?
The beautiful thing about people like this lady is that they always love to use the word "we" like they personally speak for every single person of their race/ethnic group. Its not "I and others are offended", it is "we" are offended.

The team does, however, play the tomahawk chop during games and welcomes fans in headgear and other stereotypes of Native American dress.

Those are some of the parts of the game day experience that Blackhorse calls "insane," and why she expects a fight that's gaining momentum and support nationally to come to Kansas City.

She knows that the vast majority of Chiefs fans will oppose her, but she also knows that the vast majority of fans in Washington opposed her, as well.

She says there is "no middle ground with this issue," that once an ethnic group is used as a nickname for a sports team, the people in that ethic group lose control of their identity and humanity.

"I don't want people to think I'm going around pointing fingers, like, 'You're a racist, you're a racist, you're a racist,' " she says. "That's not the point. The point is we're offended. You can love Native Americans to death. You can have admiration, love what we do, how we are, whatever, and still (hijack) our culture without understanding it that way."
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jun 26, 2014 at 11:41 AM ]
I wouldn't consider the Chiefs offensive considering the Native Americans had "Chiefs". It would be like calling a team the "Generals" or something.

However, Cleveland Indians could be deemed offensive considering it's politically incorrect.

This all reminds me of that one Chris Rock skit where he was saying that No group has it worse than the Native Americans, when was the last time you saw TWO Native Americans?
[ Edited by zaghawk on Jun 26, 2014 at 12:21 PM ]
And change the Indians, Braves, Blackhawks, Seminoles and Fighting Illini while they're at it.
Originally posted by ninerjok:
And change the Indians, Braves, Blackhawks, Seminoles and Fighting Illini while they're at it.

The college teams have support of those tribes, though. Otherwise they would have been changed already.

The one I don't get being brought up in some of these articles is the Golden State Warriors. Yes, it used to be in reference to a Native American Warrior, but now it's a generic classical greek "Warrior" or some bland thing. It's not Native American related at all, at least no more than "Soldier" or "Fighter" would be.
Getting rid of these team names would really erase Native Americans from the minds of the masses. They should be proud that a team is supporting them and keeping the Native American heritage alive
Excuse my ignorance, but how is "chief" offensive?
I find both the LA & Sacramento Kings offensive to my european ancestry and demand immediate compensation for emotional and physical distress.
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Excuse my ignorance, but how is "chief" offensive?

Their dicks in the US Navy
I disagree...Chief is a position of great respect and admiration among our native Americans. There's a huge difference between it and Redskins, which is not an endearing term to describe a native American.