There are 159 users in the forums

Brandon Flowers

Shop 49ers game tickets
Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo 16m
Before signing with the Chargers, Brandon Flowers visited the 49ers on Friday. SF obviously looking for more help at CB where they can.

• boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by DeUh:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Chargers not a bad spot for him. Guess he wants to face teh Cheifs twice a year.

Thought he left San Diego without a deal ?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/20/brandon-flowers-leaves-chargers-without-a-deal/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/24/brandon-flowers-agrees-to-one-year-contract-with-chargers/
Originally posted by crabman82:
Before signing with the Chargers, Brandon Flowers visited the 49ers on Friday. SF obviously looking for more help at CB where they can.

Not surprised. I like the talent we have but they are largely unproven. Brock is the most proven but only has 7 starts. Culliver has big question marks. If either one got hurt, Chris Cook is the next man up. That's scary. Flowers would have been a nice fit since we play plenty of off-man. But it's a moot point now. Not a big deal, but it would be nice to get another corner with experience.
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by DeUh:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Chargers not a bad spot for him. Guess he wants to face teh Cheifs twice a year.

Thought he left San Diego without a deal ?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/20/brandon-flowers-leaves-chargers-without-a-deal/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/24/brandon-flowers-agrees-to-one-year-contract-with-chargers/

FACK!
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Not surprised. I like the talent we have but they are largely unproven. Brock is the most proven but only has 7 starts. Culliver has big question marks. If either one got hurt, Chris Cook is the next man up. That's scary. Flowers would have been a nice fit since we play plenty of off-man. But it's a moot point now. Not a big deal, but it would be nice to get another corner with experience.

a mid tier guy will get cut in TC. Baalke will wait.

I'm not surprised, either. What you said about the secondary is what I think about...the big question mark about Culliver (besides his recovery from his knee injury) is will he be suspended for his actions back in March? If so, the team is probably runs Brock and Cook out there as the two starting CBs and the team has to hope Ward comes along fast as a rookie after hopefully recovering completely from his foot injury. CB is too much of a question mark for me considering the rest of the position groups being so solid. Mo Claiborne for a future 7th? I still think he'd do great in the Niners' scheme.
Just Trent covering all his bases and leaving no stone unturned. Obviously he wouldn't have really signed with the Niners because his contract was already too big to begin with.
Originally posted by boast:

a mid tier guy will get cut in TC. Baalke will wait.

That would be great.

Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
I'm not surprised, either. What you said about the secondary is what I think about...the big question mark about Culliver (besides his recovery from his knee injury) is will he be suspended for his actions back in March? If so, the team is probably runs Brock and Cook out there as the two starting CBs and the team has to hope Ward comes along fast as a rookie after hopefully recovering completely from his foot injury. CB is too much of a question mark for me considering the rest of the position groups being so solid. Mo Claiborne for a future 7th? I still think he'd do great in the Niners' scheme.

Claiborne is a guy I've had my eye on too. He'd definitely be a better fit here than in Dallas' Tampa 2 defense. He's not a zone corner.

A trade would be unlikely though. He has a significant cap number, and the contract is fully guaranteed. It's a lot to invest in a guy that has struggled.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jun 24, 2014 at 4:10 PM ]
That would be great.

Claiborne is a guy I've had my eye on too. He'd definitely be a better fit here than in Dallas' Tampa 2 defense. He's not a zone corner.

A trade would be unlikely though. He has a significant cap number, and the contract is fully guaranteed. It's a lot to invest in a guy that has struggled.

I didn't realize his cap number was that high - I thought it was reasonable since he's still playing on his rookie contract. He has struggled in Dallas; however, he has a lot of talent and it could just be the fit hasn't been right and coming over to the Niners could work in his favor (along with the coaching of a quality secondary coach in Donatell). Also, maybe Mo could flourish with the front 7 the Niners have? Dallas probably wouldn't let him go for a future 7th, though.
I didn't realize his cap number was that high - I thought it was reasonable since he's still playing on his rookie contract. He has struggled in Dallas; however, he has a lot of talent and it could just be the fit hasn't been right and coming over to the Niners could work in his favor (along with the coaching of a quality secondary coach in Donatell). Also, maybe Mo could flourish with the front 7 the Niners have? Dallas probably wouldn't let him go for a future 7th, though.

His cap number is around $4.5 mil. Not huge, but still significant. In comparison that is what guys like Bowman, Iupati, Crabtree, and Aldon are each taking up in cap space.

We have about $6 mil in cap space, so we could fit him in, but it's also wise to give yourself some breathing room. Reason being is that next year we have a ton of FAs. We don't want to be stuck with Claiborne's $5 mil fully guaranteed in 2015, especially if he continues to struggle. We need every bit of cash available to make sure we keep the guys we want to keep.

In this day of information being discovered and released sooner than later via social media, etc., how stealth are the Niners? We're hearing Flowers visited the team last Friday and not one team beat reporter or otherwise caught wind of it until four days later. Flowers is a big-name CB who just about all true NFL fans know about - yet, the Niners again kept their interest under the radar (just like their interest in P. Manning two years ago - they were the "mystery team". I like how the team handles their business like this (although the media must HATE it!). I hope Harbaugh, Baalke, etc., continue to give very little important team info out to the media during their interview sessions, appearances on radio talk shows, etc.
Originally posted by Geeked:
That's the thing, the guy was USC's most TALENTED CB. But his work ethic and attitude towards class got him a ticket to UNLV. Even there, he had trouble and would have flunked out if he didn't leave when he did. Guy never really had to work because his talent allowed him to get away with a lot. Now that he's a bit older and must apply a bit more effort to keep his skills, he just doesn't have the toughness to follow through.

The sad thing is, he's going to need to get a job at some point. And there are not a whole lot of jobs out there worth having that don't require you to go through periodic trials.

At the rookie symposium in 2013 I believe someone told the rookies, "The average NFL career is 3 years. That's not to scare you guys but you need to be aware of this reality."

Some players simply don't understand how competitive this business is.

His cap number is around $4.5 mil. Not huge, but still significant. In comparison that is what guys like Bowman, Iupati, Crabtree, and Aldon are each taking up in cap space.

We have about $6 mil in cap space, so we could fit him in, but it's also wise to give yourself some breathing room. Reason being is that next year we have a ton of FAs. We don't want to be stuck with Claiborne's $5 mil fully guaranteed in 2015, especially if he continues to struggle. We need every bit of cash available to make sure we keep the guys we want to keep.

Yeah, that cap number is pretty big - would have to be re-worked with an extension or something considering the limited cap space the team has and needs to extend others like Crab (hopefully).
Flowers terms are in, http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/24/reports-brandon-flowers-to-make-as-much-as-5-million-in-2014/

$5M he can make as much in 2014, got $1.5M base, and $1.5M signing bonus.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Flowers terms are in, http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/24/reports-brandon-flowers-to-make-as-much-as-5-million-in-2014/

$5M he can make as much in 2014, got $1.5M base, and $1.5M signing bonus.

AB, given these numbers, would it have been a stretch to sign him considering the Niners' salary cap situation, the potential contract extensions upcoming (Crabtree?), etc.?
Share 49ersWebzone