LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 258 users in the forums

Brandon Flowers

Shop 49ers game tickets
Maybe we should kick the tires after all on this guy since i am hearing that Eric Wright is contemplating retiring. Without Wright that secondary is full of too much youth. dont like the idea to go into the season with little experience out there.
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
Maybe we should kick the tires after all on this guy since i am hearing that Eric Wright is contemplating retiring. Without Wright that secondary is full of too much youth. dont like the idea to go into the season with little experience out there.

I think Wright may have retired because he saw the writing on the wall that he likely wasn't going to make the team. Outside he had Brock/Culliver/Johnson and Cox ahead of him and inside at nickle he's likely behind Ward/Cox and maybe Morris.
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:

I think Wright may have retired because he saw the writing on the wall that he likely wasn't going to make the team. Outside he had Brock/Culliver/Johnson and Cox ahead of him and inside at nickle he's likely behind Ward/Cox and maybe Morris.

I think Wright just doesn't have the heart. He will fully regret this decision down the line. Wright went from USC to UNLV and left early. Good luck, you are going to need it.
^ I thought the same. But why would he RETIRE then? Why not just ask to be released ya know
Originally posted by Zachary:
^ I thought the same. But why would he RETIRE then? Why not just ask to be released ya know

I think if he wasn't going to make the 49ers, he didn't want to keep bouncing around the NFL. SF was the ideal situation for him. Great team, his hometown, and we need CB depth.

Unfortunately for him, it looked like he was behind as many as 6 guys for a roster spot, many of which are younger players the team will want to keep. He saw the writing on the wall, lost motivation, and decided to call it a career. Good luck to him.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

I think if he wasn't going to make the 49ers, he didn't want to keep bouncing around the NFL. SF was the ideal situation for him. Great team, his hometown, and we need CB depth.

Unfortunately for him, it looked like he was behind as many as 6 guys for a roster spot, many of which are younger players the team will want to keep. He saw the writing on the wall, lost motivation, and decided to call it a career. Good luck to him.

it probably didn't bode well with him seeing Chris Cook getting all the snaps with the first team defense ...and combine that with Cox leap frogging him on the depth chart during the playoffs last year ...he probably got discouraged and just hung it up....it's too bad, he has talent to contribute to an NFL team
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:

it probably didn't bode well with him seeing Chris Cook getting all the snaps with the first team defense ...and combine that with Cox leap frogging him on the depth chart during the playoffs last year ...he probably got discouraged and just hung it up....it's too bad, he has talent to contribute to an NFL team

That's the thing, the guy was USC's most TALENTED CB. But his work ethic and attitude towards class got him a ticket to UNLV. Even there, he had trouble and would have flunked out if he didn't leave when he did. Guy never really had to work because his talent allowed him to get away with a lot. Now that he's a bit older and must apply a bit more effort to keep his skills, he just doesn't have the toughness to follow through.

The sad thing is, he's going to need to get a job at some point. And there are not a whole lot of jobs out there worth having that don't require you to go through periodic trials.
[ Edited by Geeked on Jun 18, 2014 at 12:12 PM ]
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 8m
In veteran free agent news, the #Chargers are hosting CB Brandon Flowers on a visit today, source says. I believe it's his first one.

Originally posted by Geeked:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:

That's the thing, the guy was USC's most TALENTED CB. But his work ethic and attitude towards class got him a ticket to UNLV. Even there, he had trouble and would have flunked out if he didn't leave when he did. Guy never really had to work because his talent allowed him to get away with a lot. Now that he's a bit older and must apply a bit more effort to keep his skills, he just doesn't have the toughness to follow through.

The sad thing is, he's going to need to get a job at some point. And there are not a whole lot of jobs out there worth having that don't require you to go through periodic trials.

Probably hit the nail on the head here.
Chargers not a bad spot for him. Guess he wants to face teh Cheifs twice a year.

• DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:
Chargers not a bad spot for him. Guess he wants to face teh Cheifs twice a year.

Thought he left San Diego without a deal ?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/20/brandon-flowers-leaves-chargers-without-a-deal/
Originally posted by DeUh:

Thought he left San Diego without a deal ?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/20/brandon-flowers-leaves-chargers-without-a-deal/

probably didnt get the money he wanted
i didn't mean to imply he signed with them...just me thinking it would haw been a good spot for him
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
He will most likely have to wait until an injury or major pre-season cut period before a contract is offered within the range of acceptance. I don't see many teams willing to pay what he wants unless one of their own high dollar CB/players goes down to IR; clearing momentary cap space.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
i didn't mean to imply he signed with them...just me thinking it would haw been a good spot for him

Share 49ersWebzone