There are 217 users in the forums

Brandon Flowers

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Phil:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Arson:
Where not the heat, we grow out own talent.

Justin Smith, Donte Whitner, Carlos Rogers, Randy Moss, Glenn Dorsey, and Antoine Bethea would disagree with you.

And Boldin and Stevie Johnson.

Trades, but correct. :)
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Dude's gonna get a good sized deal based on name, age, and experience. I'm sure some team like the Raiders or Buccaneers will give him 3-4 years @ $6mil+/yr.
Originally posted by FutureGM:
What does it really matter? Lol

Yes it really does matter. This isnt a f**king anarchy.

Anyways, we should pass on Flowers. Too expensive. Unless he wants to take a cut to play for a competitor.
Early reports are Texans and Falcons interested.
i don't think we would be interested unless he wanted to sign at a heavily discounted price
  • jrg
  • Veteran
I'll say he goes to the Falcons, but I would love to see him in a 49ers jersey this season.
Originally posted by Phil:
Originally posted by Arson:
Where not the heat, we grow out own talent.

Justin Smith, Donte Whitner, Carlos Rogers, Randy Moss, Glenn Dorsey, and Antoine Bethea would disagree with you.

And Boldin and Stevie Johnson.

Trades, but correct. :)

Does it really matter where we get our talent...
After thinking about it some, I'd be down with bringing in Flowers....for the right price. We could use another proven player with starting experience at the position.

Right now, the CB unit is long on talent, but short on proven production. We know Brock is a sure-fire starter. Culliver is assumed to be a starter, but is coming back from a serious injury and has not yet been cleared for 11-on-11. If he can't go for whatever reason, the alternatives on the roster have even more question marks than Cully. Not a position we want to be in. We made the same mistake at WR the past several years. We can't afford to do the same at CB, especially in a transition year for the unit.

Flowers had a rough season last year, but it was primarily due to the Chiefs changing to a press-man scheme he's not suited for. He's proven to be a standout player when in zone or off-man, when he can play with a cushion and read/react. He's also a very good tackler, which is a must in our defense. We've seen Brock, Brown, Rogers, and Cully really play well in this defense playing that way on the outside.

For those worried about him being too small, he's exactly the same height as Tramaine Brock. Both were listed at 5'9" 6/8 at their combine/pro-days.

We have $5.725 mil in cap space after Kap's extension, and with the entire rookie class signed. I wouldn't mind bringing in Flowers on a 1-year deal worth a few mil.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jun 14, 2014 at 12:16 AM ]
I know why no one bit on a trade, his $2M roster bonus was for reporting to Training Camp.

I wouldn't be against it, but I really want to see the rooks get a chance, and Cook looks good in OTAs apparently.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
I know why no one bit on a trade, his $2M roster bonus was for reporting to Training Camp.

I wouldn't be against it, but I really want to see the rooks get a chance, and Cook looks good in OTAs apparently.

That makes sense. $2M roster bonus probably prevented a trade from happening. I think Flowers will get snatched up soon.

I'd love to see our rookies and young players get a chance too, but what would be even better IMO is to load the position and see the young players beat out the vets in a competition. That's when we know we've drafted well.

My only concern is creating another Asomugha scenario, where we keep a washed up vet and lose a good young talent like Marcus Cooper. Coincidentally, Cooper is a starter in KC now that Flowers is gone. Coaches and management need to be careful of this in the future.

I'm in favor of bringing in older vets on 1-year deals, just not at the expense of losing a good young talent.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jun 14, 2014 at 2:00 AM ]

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
No thanks, I wanna see Darryl Morris get his shot. And I'd rather stick to a much cheaper Perrish Cox or Eric Wright, who played pretty well during the playoffs. I think if the 9ers didn't have Brock or Chris Cook then I think it would be a no-brainer.
I'm not sold on our CB's, so I wouldn't mind bringing him in if circumstances were different. Yes, we have some cap space right now, but we've also got some of our own guys I'd like to see get locked up. Doesn't our unused cap space carry into next year?
Brandon Flowers will land on a team with gobs of cap room and in desperate need for CB. In other words not the San Francisco 49ers.

The Oakland Raiders make the most sense. They know Flowers fairly well having played against him for the last few years. Plus I hear DJ Hayden is currently banged up leaving Carlos Rogers/T. Brown top on the depth chart. Will Reggie McKenzie channel his inner Al Davis and overpay for mediocre talent?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Overkill:
I'm not sold on our CB's, so I wouldn't mind bringing him in if circumstances were different. Yes, we have some cap space right now, but we've also got some of our own guys I'd like to see get locked up. Doesn't our unused cap space carry into next year?

Why not?? they're pretty much the same group the defense had in the playoffs, minus only Tarrell Brown really, but even he had his bad moments in the playoffs. Carlos Rogers was a weakness and a non-factor in the playoffs, the defense actually played much better without him. I think a lot of people are underestimating Jimmie Ward, who's a real ball hawk that is pretty good in man coverage. And supposedly Chris Cook has been making plays in OTA's, according to Harbaugh he's looked real good.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Why not?? they're pretty much the same group the defense had in the playoffs, minus only Tarrell Brown really, but even he had his bad moments in the playoffs. Carlos Rogers was a weakness and a non-factor in the playoffs, the defense actually played much better without him. I think a lot of people are underestimating Jimmie Ward, who's a real ball hawk that is pretty good in man coverage. And supposedly Chris Cook has been making plays in OTA's, according to Harbaugh he's looked real good.

This is solid post.

People seem to forget how bad our secondary was that NFC champ game and whos fault it was (Rogers and Whitner)
I don't understand why people want us to sign a 28 year old vet coming off a down year (even though it still was a pro-bowl year) when we drafted and signed about 4-5 other CBs who could end up being just as good, and are drastically cheaper.

Not to mention I heard Cook is taking first team snaps at OTAs? First round draft pick talent in our defense usually equates to good things
Share 49ersWebzone