LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 341 users in the forums

The Mt. Rushmore of NFL Franchises? (Super Bowl Era; My 4 are Pit, SF, Dal, NE)

Shop 49ers game tickets

The Mt. Rushmore of NFL Franchises? (Super Bowl Era; My 4 are Pit, SF, Dal, NE)

*For the Super Bowl era.

To me, it's fairly obvious at this time…Steelers, 49ers, Cowboys, and Packers would be the four all-time franchises. Now, the order in which those four would rank is another discussion altogether. The Niners always would put up a good case to be near the top starting with their rich NFL history (even before the SB years), their five SB titles plus another SB appearance, 15 NFC Championship games, an NFL record 16 consecutive seasons of 10+ wins (incredible), and their record of consecutive road wins of 18 games. They undoubtedly deserve to be at least part of the NFL's Mt. Rushmore. I'd be curious to read what others thought…any different opinions to the four franchises I've mentioned here?

P.S. Just in case any of the younger generation NFL fans out there are wondering, the Seahawks wouldn't even make the all-time 'Top 15' NFL franchise list. Except for three years out of their 37 years of existence (last year, their SB appearance in 2006, and their AFC Championship game appearance in 1984), they've been mainly an irrelevant franchise. Last year and the year before marked the only time in their franchise history they've had consecutive 10+ win seasons.

P.P.S. It's a very slow point in the offseason…having Niners/NFL withdrawals…thus, the post.
[ Edited by LottDMontanaO on Feb 13, 2018 at 3:43 PM ]
I'd agree with the 4 you listed, Chicago and New York (Giants) could make a case, but they'd be on the outside looking in, IMO.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Why are the Broncos & Dolphins listed?
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Its always hard for me to answer questions like these because my football knowledge only goes back to like 1980 and I dunno much bout before then and I hate to not give historic teams their due.

That said I'd say Steelers Niners for sure. Then its a toss up for me between Packers Pats and Cowboys. Packers have a very rich history so I'd say them. Pats were consistently good during a time where it was hard to be a perennial winner. Cowboys, well I think my hatred for them seeps through so I'd take them out. They've only won a single playoff game in like 15 years, but they do have championships.

Niners Steelers Packers Patriots in that order. Honorable mention to Cowboys and Giants.
Originally posted by Antix:
Its always hard for me to answer questions like these because my football knowledge only goes back to like 1980 and I dunno much bout before then and I hate to not give historic teams their due.

That said I'd say Steelers Niners for sure. Then its a toss up for me between Packers Pats and Cowboys. Packers have a very rich history so I'd say them. Pats were consistently good during a time where it was hard to be a perennial winner. Cowboys, well I think my hatred for them seeps through so I'd take them out. They've only won a single playoff game in like 15 years, but they do have championships.

Niners Steelers Packers Patriots in that order. Honorable mention to Cowboys and Giants.

giants gotta get the nod over the pats though right? more rings and beat them twice in the big game.
I would say 49ers, Patriots, Steelers, and probably the Packers over the Cowboys.

Patriots get the nod over the Giants despite the Giants having more rings, because the Patriots have been consistently in the hunt every year for many many years. The Giants have had two good years but are generally out of it otherwise.
[ Edited by longtime49erfan on Jun 10, 2014 at 4:49 PM ]
The elves are probably wondering why they are not this list after their first full year of dominance.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Jun 10, 2014 at 4:51 PM ]
Looks good to me. I can see how the Pats might have a case, but I can't see how you can take any of those teams off the list, definitely not the Niners
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Jun 10, 2014 at 4:55 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
3 straight nfc championship games and a superbowl appearance.
Cue the shrill Hawk fans in 3, 2, 1...

Patriots would get a lot of play because us Americans have such short memories...

...what was I talking about?

• Chico
  • Veteran
what about "DA RAIDERS!"???
The op's four are spot on imho.more than 5 titles apiece, and completly dominated eras for a long periods of time.

For the four that were mentioned, dominated in eras and were in serious contention in others, even while other teams were dominant.I dont see how an argument can be made for any others.NYG and Bears on the outside looking in I concur with.
All time? Niners Cowboys Steelers Packers.

Honorable mentions: Giants, Bears, Redskins, Raiders.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by Antix:

giants gotta get the nod over the pats though right? more rings and beat them twice in the big game.

Good point, but I give more credit to Pats for being a perennial power. Also, the Giants caught heat their last two SBs and weren't a dominating reg season team, which I take into account when it comes to this type of thing.

But I like the Giants as the 5th. They're always good decade in and decade out. They never go too long without being relevant.
Originally posted by Existence:
Cue the shrill Hawk fans in 3, 2, 1...

Patriots would get a lot of play because us Americans have such short memories...

...what was I talking about?

Jump to conclusions much?

I'm excited for our championship, but we have one. Why the hell would we suddenly be in the discussion for all time accomplishments with teams that have 4-6?

Anyway, if the Patriots manage to win another one in the next few years, they'd definitely deserve to be in the mix. 5 appearances and 3 wins in the Brady era alone is pretty impressive. With an extra win, that would be 4 wins, and 6 appearances in the last 14 years or something.
[ Edited by zaghawk on Jun 10, 2014 at 9:27 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone