LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 342 users in the forums

who is LJ McCray?

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Really glad he made this team. Hoping he unseats Dahl as the first S off the bench ASAP.
yep. dahl is a good special teams and it was nice of him to take a pay cut,, but that stuff means little when he plays as poorly as he did in the pre season. maybe they just thought it to risky to cut dahl and hope this kid does the job??
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
If I remember correctly, many, if not most, people thought we had too many draft picks.

yes and we were an idiot for" using all of them because only a few will make the team".. if the kids out perform vets in camp, practice and pre season what are you supposed to do?
Welcome the show, kid. You earned your spot. Now make us proud.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Had to re watch the Houston game, he was pretty good on special teams
McCray was impressive...he hits hard and seems to have decent cover skills. Happy to see so many draftees and UDFA's are on board...definitely improves team speed, versatility and toughness. They'll all have to learn how to navigate the season ahead, but I'm impressed with their potential to do it.
  • buck
  • Veteran
McCray played in 16 of the 24 special team plays; 66.7% of the special team snaps.

That was third most on the team.

Dahl played 19 special team snaps and Carrier played 17 special team snaps.

• pd24
  • Veteran
I hope he can take the backup Safety job from Dhal. Looked promising and is probably the hardest hitting DB we have.
Originally posted by pd24:
I hope he can take the backup Safety job from Dhal. Looked promising and is probably the hardest hitting DB we have.

He's a SS (not that it matters in a 3-4 = interchangeable) but he's Bethea's backup and Fangio loved him; lots of talent and upside and caught most off guard that he made the team last year. He also played well on ST's. I'm excited to see him leap some more this year. What we REALLY need is a legit FS behind Reid should he veer go down. Dahl is here to be a ST tackler (basically, taking over Bubba's role as well).
Originally posted by redrathman:

lol
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Repost From 2014 Team Needs Thread

Interesting UDFA signing.

S / CB / KR LJ McCray Catawba

Height 5117
Weight 210
40 Yrd Dash 4.46
10 Yrd Dash 1.53
Bench 24
Vertical 41
Broad 10´07"
20 Yrd Shuttle 4.07
3-Cone Drill 6.77
*pro day numbers

Kick Off Return Avg.
2013 22.7 Yrds
2012 29.2 Yrds
2011 red shirted for the year
2010 32.5 Yrds

Highlight Tape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EamCWmlCjBQ

Repost From 2014 Special Teams Thread

You know what.....time to go out on a limb again.

Since we signed L.J. McCray and I began to dig into his college career ( http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/177313-2014-team-needs-updates/page41/#post611 ) I started rooting for him. He is a very physical player, has the potential to be a st ace, was a dangerous returner in college, got rare praise from Fangio this off season, knows Tomsula since 2012 etc.

L.J. McCray will make the 53 man roster this year.

From left to rigth: McCray (46), Bethea (24), Reid (35)

Originally posted by DeUh:
Repost From 2014 Team Needs Thread

Interesting UDFA signing.

S / CB / KR LJ McCray Catawba

Height 5117
Weight 210
40 Yrd Dash 4.46
10 Yrd Dash 1.53
Bench 24
Vertical 41
Broad 10´07"
20 Yrd Shuttle 4.07
3-Cone Drill 6.77
*pro day numbers

Kick Off Return Avg.
2013 22.7 Yrds
2012 29.2 Yrds
2011 red shirted for the year
2010 32.5 Yrds

Highlight Tape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EamCWmlCjBQ

Repost From 2014 Special Teams Thread

You know what.....time to go out on a limb again.

Since we signed L.J. McCray and I began to dig into his college career ( http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/177313-2014-team-needs-updates/page41/#post611 ) I started rooting for him. He is a very physical player, has the potential to be a st ace, was a dangerous returner in college, got rare praise from Fangio this off season, knows Tomsula since 2012 etc.

L.J. McCray will make the 53 man roster this year.

From left to rigth: McCray (46), Bethea (24), Reid (35)

We called this dark horse. Him and Dillon Farrell!
Q: Who is LJ Mcray?

A: That dude on the coverage unit that runs down the field and smacks would-be returners in the mouth.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Look at his high school tape and you see D1.
Wonder why he ended up at a tomsula-level school?

I know one thing, we better keep this guy for a 2nd contract, even if hes still a backup ss.
ST playmaking is still game-changing playmaking.
Originally posted by xcfan:
Look at his high school tape and you see D1.
Wonder why he ended up at a tomsula-level school?

I know one thing, we better keep this guy for a 2nd contract, even if hes still a backup ss.
ST playmaking is still game-changing playmaking.

This guy can play S too. He's just an absolute stud on ST though (when healthy).
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 22, 2016 at 8:30 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone