who is LJ McCray?

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I am not going to start a new thread, but in my mind, there is a James McCray bandwagon, and I am on it.

Me too. Craig Dahl better watch out.

Welcome.

If we cut Dahl, we end up with a lot of dead money, and dead money is not good for the cap.

Still, if McCray can cover better than Dahl, Dahl should go.

I'd rather have dead money than dead weight

• LVJay
  • Veteran
he cray cray
Welcome.

If we cut Dahl, we end up with a lot of dead money, and dead money is not good for the cap.

Still, if McCray can cover better than Dahl, Dahl should go.

Dahl's dead money hit will be minimal if he's cut . . . which I think is likely this year.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/craig-dahl/
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Interview

The First Thing I Asked About Was His Pro Day Experience Because He Put Up Some Really Interesting Numbers.

"Pro day was a great experience, it was something that I prepared for while down in Texas at Michael Johnsons Performance for a few months. Actually it was just stuff that I was already good at they improved and I just went out and showed that. I was the underdog going in to the pro day so I had to do something to make myself stand out so I feel like I did just that."

I Asked Him Whether He Considered Himself To Be A Box Safety Or A Free Safety And What Specifically Made Him More Comfortable.

"Well, I consider myself a good mixture of both because I played cornerback. I have the cover skills but I love playing the box because I love being physical. Also I think a great position, like the perfect position that fits me would be the nickel. But I'm great at safety because I can do everything they require. I can come backwards, I can tackle, and I can cover a lot of space form hashes so I consider myself a good mixture of both, free and strong."

I Asked Him What He Thought His Best Fit In The NFL Would Be As There Seems To Be A Transition To Safeties Playing More Of A Coverage Role Than A Run Defense Role.

"I think that would be good for me. It's not a problem for me to cover space so if that's the big transition I would still love my place as a safety. I would be great at covering and being a cover safety instead of a box guy. You know, that would be great for me and I would love it. There's a lot that I have to learn and I look forward to learning there so I can do whatever they need me to do."
[ Edited by DeUh on Mar 14, 2015 at 10:34 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DeUh:
I also think that Dahl won't make the 53 this year though I would call his dead money hit $831,667 manageable and not minimal.

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=49ers&Year=2014

agree, and I also think the cap will go up next year - that should go a long way to ease the cap hit.
I also think that Dahl won't make the 53 this year though I would call his dead money hit $831,667 manageable and not minimal.

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=49ers&Year=2014

Minimal or manageable . . . It's not enough to impact decision making.
This guy will take bethea's spot by week 7......next year.
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:
This guy will take bethea's spot by week 7......next year.

What about Ward?
  • buck
  • Veteran
Jim Tomsula Urged on 49ers Rookie James McCray

McCray, a 6-foot, 210-pound prospect, attended the alma mater of respected 49ers defensive line coach Jim Tomsula.

McCray and Tomsula first met in '12 at Catawba’s senior night game. McCray still recalls the wisdom that Tomsula shared in that brief encounter.

"He kept telling me, 'Keep doing what you're doing. Keep working hard and keep shining and they'll notice you,'" McCray said. "He gave me a lot of encouragement."

The small-school safety has proven he can adjust to the speed of his NFL teammates. Now, it's a matter of showing he can grow in the mental side of the game.

"It's a big difference coming from where I come from," McCray said. "We didn't have these coverages, but I adapt quick and I learn."

"It's not so much that the people are faster here, it's just the speed of everybody knowing what they're doing. I have to get my mind right for that."

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/Jim-Tomsula-Urged-on-49ers-Rookie-James-McCray/9f2921ec-53f3-4a23-9873-d5989292665c
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Thanks buck ! Nice news.

Thanks buck ! Nice news.

Great to have inside support by both Tomsula and Fangio and with Donatell helping to develop him, he could be a legit returner or on the ST coverage units and be a real backup S for us.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
does anyone know if mccray is in a legit competition for a roster spot? is he getting the coaches' attention in practice? any inside knowledge?
from what i see, he could develop into one of the better ST players in the nfl.
Originally posted by xcfan:
does anyone know if mccray is in a legit competition for a roster spot? is he getting the coaches' attention in practice? any inside knowledge?
from what i see, he could develop into one of the better ST players in the nfl.

It sure seems like it. He played the entire second half in the Ravens game and next to Spillman who also played the entire first half. It seems like Spillman (FS) and McCray (SS) could end up being our backup/ST players over Dahl/Ventrone. For details see DeUh's thread: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/179059-2014-practice-recap-thread-day-online-link-bottom/

Also, I analyzed his game here in post #148: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/178750-special-teams-2014/page10/
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
don't cut him. just don't.
Originally posted by xcfan:
don't cut him. just don't.

Share 49ersWebzone