LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 383 users in the forums

who is LJ McCray?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
No bad news...

Kap threw a pick, which is troubling, and V-Mac had it bounce off his hands.. troubling.

good news---bad news

Good, Kaepernick threw a pass that hit McDonald in the hands.

Bad, McDonald did not catch the ball

Good, McCray caught the ball.

All in all, not too bad.

LMAO. I hope this give this kid a real shot at returning punts/kick offs and not just focus on coverage units.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Thoughts on Day 2 of 49ers' minicamp

Undrafted rookie safety James McCray from Catawba has been impressive. Defensive coordinator Vic Fangio noted he has a long way to go, but he likes McCray's potential.

http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/7839/thoughts-on-day-2-of-49ers-minicamp
  • buck
  • Veteran
McCray had 78 returns for 2,194 and three scores. He averaged 28.13 yards per kick return.
He also had 17 passes defended;3 picks 14 passes broken up.

Here are some excerpts from an article.

McCray entered Catawba College in 2009 and immediately made an impact, starting 8 games at cornerback as a true freshman.

In 2010, McCray led NCAA's Division 2 with a 32.5 yard kickoff return average and he set a NCAA Division 2 record with 304 return yards against Tusculum, scoring from 94 yards and 99 yards out.

He was injured after the season opener in 2011 and was red-shirted for the year.

He was back at it during the 2012 season as he was a first team All-South Atlantic Conference selection and accumulated over 1,000 return yards.

As a senior in 2013, he totaled 78 tackles and registered 2 sacks and 8 pass break ups. He also averaged 22.7 yards per kickoff return.

McCray's pro day numbers went like this. He ran a 4.46 second 40-yard dash, vertical jumped 41", and broad jumped 10'7" and ran a 3-cone shuttle time of 6.98 seconds.

http://www.newerascouting.com/2014/05/07/2014-nfl-draft-catawba-college-safety-lj-mccray/

A good read by the way.
I already like him more than Dahl, and I agree with the above poster, give the kid a shot at returning!
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Future starter for the Chiefs.

This made me giggle. Then I got mad at you. Then I got mad at myself for the giggle. I'm over it now - that was funny!
Wait a second...Tusculum has notoriously bad coverage teams...everyone knows that.
If this kid shows up, let's not let someone grab him like the Thomas kid from stanford
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RDB4216:

This made me giggle. Then I got mad at you. Then I got mad at myself for the giggle. I'm over it now - that was funny!

I went through this progression---multiple reads by the way.

Originally posted by 49ers808:
I already like him more than Dahl, and I agree with the above poster, give the kid a shot at returning!

Me too
Thoughts on Day 2 of 49ers' minicamp

Undrafted rookie safety James McCray from Catawba has been impressive. Defensive coordinator Vic Fangio noted he has a long way to go, but he likes McCray's potential.

http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/7839/thoughts-on-day-2-of-49ers-minicamp

Sad, but potentially true. Then again, this kid may stick because of his special teams ability. See you later Craig Dahl (maybe).

• buck
  • Veteran
Underdog: Small-school safety eyeing special

James (L.J.) McCray, caught the eye of defensive coordinator Vic Fangio during the 49ers' team sessions. McCray stood out during the Tuesday minicamp practice when, while working with the second-team defense, he knocked away three passes and nearly came up with a dazzling, diving interception.

"He's done well for a small school guy," Fangio said of the Catawba College product. "He's got good ability. He's got good speed and he's tough. Shows some instincts. He's got to learn a lot. And that can be a slow process at times for these guys. But I do like what he's shown and he's got some potential."

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2014/06/25/6510720/underdog-small-school-safety-eyeing.html#storylink=cpy
[ Edited by buck on Jun 25, 2014 at 11:52 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
I am not going to start a new thread, but in my mind, there is a James McCray bandwagon, and I am on it.

I am not going to start a new thread, but in my mind, there is a James McCray bandwagon, and I am on it.

Me too. Craig Dahl better watch out.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Welcome.

If we cut Dahl, we end up with a lot of dead money, and dead money is not good for the cap.

Still, if McCray can cover better than Dahl, Dahl should go.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Welcome.

If we cut Dahl, we end up with a lot of dead money, and dead money is not good for the cap.

Still, if McCray can cover better than Dahl, Dahl should go.

I'd rather have dead money than dead weight
Share 49ersWebzone