LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 266 users in the forums

Which Franchise has the Greatest Legacy of Receivers in the NFL?

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by Janitor:
The packers seem to be able to make a great WR out of guy who used to be nobody. They've done it consistently for almost 20 years.

Donald Driver, Sterling Sharpe, Antonio Freeman, Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson.

That's a pretty decent list.

Historically it's hard to argue against the 49ers, but I wanted to at least give someone else a chance lol

best gb wr was don hutson

agreed. I didn't put him on the list simply because it was so damn long ago
Its hard to top the niners rich receiver history but steelers come in close second imo. Swann, Stallworth, and Ward were great in their prime.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Its hard to top the niners rich receiver history but steelers come in close second imo. Swann, Stallworth, and Ward were great in their prime.

chris carter and randy moss for the vikes was cool too but thats all they got i think. niners legacy at receiver is off the charts
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crabman82:
The packers seem to be able to make a great WR out of guy who used to be nobody. They've done it consistently for almost 20 years.

Donald Driver, Sterling Sharpe, Antonio Freeman, Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson.

That's a pretty decent list.

Historically it's hard to argue against the 49ers, but I wanted to at least give someone else a chance lol

best gb wr was don hutson

agreed. I didn't put him on the list simply because it was so damn long ago

Forgot James Lofton
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Freddy Solomon, Dwight Clark, Terrell Owens, Michael Crabtree. with cameos by anquan boldin, randy moss, isaac bruce and probably a few other notables that im forgetting. I dont think any franchise can f**k with us as far as receivers and QBs go

Add Gene Washington, RC Owens
Top to bottom, I couldn't give you an answer, but we've had Jerry and T.O. and if you ignore Terrell's theatrics, he is easily one of the best 5 receivers ever. No other receiver could catch a ball and punk a cornerback as well a T.O.
What about the Fouts Air Coryel SD Chargers? They had quite the recieving crew plus TE' that caught everything. They were quite the air show back in the day..
[ Edited by Bali-Niner on Jun 8, 2014 at 9:45 PM ]
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
I might have to change my vote to the saints....

M. Colston
Eric Martin
Joe Horn
Lance Moore
Jimmy Graham
Devery Henderson
Danny Abramowicz
Robert Meachem

that's a hell of a list
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
What about the Fouts Air Coryel SD Chargers? They had quite the recieving crew plus TE' that caught everything. They were quite the air show back in the day..

The chargers are another good one...

Antonio Gates
Kellen Winslow (the original)
Charlie Joiner
Lance Alworth
Gary Garrison
Vincent Jackson
Wes Chandler

Looking over the history of the chargers, theirs seems to be the one with the most consistency throughout the decades

M. Colston
Eric Martin
Joe Horn
Lance Moore
Jimmy Graham
Devery Henderson
Danny Abramowicz
Robert Meachem

that's a hell of a list

But that's the anti-argument for why we wouldn't use SF -- we had a ten year drought, the Saints have had maybe 7 years of strong WR play for their entire history (and many might say that it's Drew Brees).

I'll throw out that Detroit had an interesting run in the mid '90s....Herman Moore and Brett Perriman were first duo in NFL history with 100+ catches in 1995. They also had Johnnie Morton making plays before his last days in the league as a Niner -- I found an article claiming statistically they were better than the '99 Rams offense but were overshadowed due to not going far in playoffs. Naturally they have a powerful WR in Calvin Johnson today, and a decent corps as of late, now bolstered by the future first ballot HOF in Golden Tate.

The Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams had some WRs.....before the greatest show on turf with Bruuuuce, Holt, they had a dynamic duo in the '80s with Willie "Flipper" Anderson and Henry Ellard. This was an underrated dominant pair that definitely gave teams trouble in the '80s. Flipper holds the record for receiving yards in a game (336, weeks apart from John Taylor 286), and that infamous walk off TD through the tunnel of Giants Stadium in '89 playoffs. Ellard while not as flashy once averaged 18-19 ypc in a season, while still racking up 1000 yards.

What about the Dallas Cowboys?? It all started with Drew Pearson and his hail mary catch in the '70s. I'm forgetting some names but I believe they had a decent WR or two to team up with him up the late '70s at least. Naturally a lot of our pain in the early '90s came on the heels of a one Michael Irvin and an Alvin Harper (with legitimate muscle in the slot from K-mart and Kelvin Williams, and a Novacek). The Tony Romo era is full of legit WRs.....TO, Dez Bryant, Miles Austin, and a lot of names that are escaping me right now!

Everything comes in cycles, and there have been duds for certain franchises which are now highly regarded -- 2013 Chicago Bears and 2011 New York Giants come to mind here. For the longest time I could remember those franchises having nobody at WR, and it was funny how Mike Sherrard went to the Giants in '93 and instantly became Simms' favorite target.

Hard to argue against Jerry Rice/John Taylor. We already know Jerry Rice is the greatest of all time. John Taylor would easily have been any other teams #1 receiver, getting ridiculous numbers. Then they also have Jerry Rice and Terrel Owens. If Terrel wasn't such a nutcase, that tandem would have been unreal. Didn't hurt that these guys also had the best QB's in the NFL throwing to them as well.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Freddy Solomon, Dwight Clark, Terrell Owens, Michael Crabtree. with cameos by anquan boldin, randy moss, isaac bruce and probably a few other notables that im forgetting. I dont think any franchise can f**k with us as far as receivers and QBs go

Add Gene Washington, RC Owens

Beat me to it!

The niners were right in it until that past 14 years! From T Owens to Crabtree there is a desert! We brought in a few guys at the end of their careers but other than that...chirp, chirp, chirp...

Happy days are here again, we have wide receivers that will help us win, happy days are here again!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jun 9, 2014 at 11:29 PM ]
Can't forget the Raiders as well. Fred Biletnikoff, Tim Brown, Dave Kasper, Randy Moss and JR (although I still cringe seeing him in Silver and Black)
[ Edited by LayTheWoodall on Jun 9, 2014 at 10:58 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LayTheWoodall:
Can't forget the Raiders as well. Fred Biletnikoff, Tim Brown, Dave Kasper, Randy Moss and JR (although I still cringe seeing him in Silver and Black)

you can not forget about cliff branch

M. Colston
Eric Martin
Joe Horn
Lance Moore
Jimmy Graham
Devery Henderson
Danny Abramowicz
Robert Meachem

that's a hell of a list

LOL'd hard at these names being mentioned in this thread
Share 49ersWebzone