There are 85 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Official Alex Smith/Kansas City Thread

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 1m
Jamaal Charles and the #Chiefs have struck a deal, source says. He's heading to camp now.

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crabman82:
Jamaal Charles and the #Chiefs have struck a deal, source says. He's heading to camp now.

And this was posted 3 seconds before that:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Chiefs RB Jamaal Charles now officially a holdout. Who in KC doesn't want more money?

Not often he is wrong.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by crabman82:

And this was posted 3 seconds before that:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Chiefs RB Jamaal Charles now officially a holdout. Who in KC doesn't want more money?

Not often he is wrong.

his game is slipping a bit. i notice he spends a lot of time tweeting about other sports stuff thats not nfl related. other guys getting scoops on him now
I'll go ahead and make the arguments now:

PRO: The Charles deal paves the way for Smith's new deal.
CON: The Charles deal shows that the Chiefs don't really want to extend Smith.

Now we can move on.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
I'll go ahead and make the arguments now:

PRO: The Charles deal paves the way for Smith's new deal.
CON: The Charles deal shows that the Chiefs don't really want to extend Smith.

Now we can move on.

You just eradicated a dozen more colorful pages from the WZ by this stunt, mister! for shame!!!!! for shame!!!!

Jamaal did deserve his raise in pay, so good on the Chiefs for paying the man, I guess. I think they will be able to make 1 more deal happen in the coming days. Houston or Smith will get theirs.. and the other will play out their last year and see what's what then.
"All is well again as Jamaal Charles and the Chiefs strike an agreement on a new deal. It's a two-year extension, making his full contract worth $28 million over four years."

That's 7 mil a year for those who are too lazy to do the division. I'm sure there's some bonus money so that he has pocket change but for the most part his cap hit will not be much more than it is now for this year.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
"All is well again as Jamaal Charles and the Chiefs strike an agreement on a new deal. It's a two-year extension, making his full contract worth $28 million over four years."

That's 7 mil a year for those who are too lazy to do the division. I'm sure there's some bonus money so that he has pocket change but for the most part his cap hit will not be much more than it is now for this year.

If the 2 sources I am looking at are right... JC's cap hit went from 5.2 mil in 2014 to 8.3 mil.

http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Jamaal%20Charles&Position=RB&Team=Chiefs
https://twitter.com/ArrowheadPride
Originally posted by Jakemall:

Charles deserves it, he carried the team!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i am thinking the biggest thing that chief fans are pondering is,,,,,,, was the last game vs the colts when the defense collapsed just a bump in the road or was our defense exposed for the coming year? I do not follow them that much but i do wonder how good their defense really is
Originally posted by cciowa:
i am thinking the biggest thing that chief fans are pondering is,,,,,,, was the last game vs the colts when the defense collapsed just a bump in the road or was our defense exposed for the coming year? I do not follow them that much but i do wonder how good their defense really is

I think KC's D benefited from playing some pretty soft teams with weaker offenses in the 1st half of the season.

Jags, Cowboys, Eagles(with Vick), Giants, Titans, Raiders, Texans, Browns, Bills.

They went 9-0 I think? They were a top 3 defense.

Then the schedule got tougher and they played some legit teams with high powered offenses and wilted.

There were a few injuries but that D was a bit of a mirage the first half of the season. I think they're more like what we saw against Indy in the playoffs.
It is quite possible Smith will have a better stat year if the defense can't live up to last year. If teams are scoring against them Reid may turn the offense loose. Just a thought.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
It is quite possible Smith will have a better stat year if the defense can't live up to last year. If teams are scoring against them Reid may turn the offense loose. Just a thought.

You would expect him to do better 2nd year in the system too.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
If the 2 sources I am looking at are right... JC's cap hit went from 5.2 mil in 2014 to 8.3 mil.

http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Jamaal%20Charles&Position=RB&Team=Chiefs
https://twitter.com/ArrowheadPride

18 million in new money with 2 added years. Not much of a salary cap hit..3 extra Mil. That's pretty team friendly, IMO. He's worth more. At 7 he's at Gore's pay grade and Gore got his deal a couple years ago?

Originally posted by verb1der:
Charles deserves it, he carried the team!

Especially in the Play-offs. I tease. He was the offense for the first half of the season. He was the most important player on offense at the end, but he wasn't carrying the team any longer.

Originally posted by SofaKing:
You would expect him to do better 2nd year in the system too.

You'd expect the entire offense to do better in the 2nd year...if the O-line doesn't crumble.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

This is true. I think he'd put up more TDs and yardage probably have more turnovers though. Which is natural for any QB that has to play from behind.
Originally posted by cciowa:

No doubt, it is a mystery to be solved. I do think the D will be much improved.

Going into a year 2 consistent scheme helps the defense almost as much as the offense. The Chiefs had injuries to both starting rush LBs... their stud ILB Derrick Johnson... Poe was asked to take too many reps during the season (over 1000 reps).. and Flowers was banged up a bit. The Colts playoff game reminded me of when SF played MIN in week 3 or 4 of 2012? Christian Ponder was making some plays that were just the kinds of thing that make you shake your head and say "yeah, looks like one of those days."

Anyway.. the other aspect that gets overlooked is the FS spot. When KC booted Kendrick Lewis, a collective party ensued for Chiefs fans. That dude was awful.. and their secondary will almost certainly benefit with the change to Abdullah.

I don't think their D will necessarily jump back into top 10 status.. but as long as their play keeps them out of the bottom 10, the offense should be further along to carry more of the burden. Biggest question mark on the O is the revamped OL.