Pre Thanksgiving Mock draft 1st 13 picks

1 Cleveland 1-9 Jimmy Clausen QB This pick has to be a QB
2 St. Louis 1-9 Jake Locker QB See above
3 Tampa Bay 1-9 Ndamukong Suh DT Best defensive player in the draft
4 Detroit 2-8 Gerald McCoy DT Lions need help up front big time
5 Seattle 3-7 Russell Okung OT Time to finally replace Walter Jones
6 Washington 3-7 Bryan Bulaga OT Their offensive line is a sieve; QB next
7 Buffalo 3-7 Dez Bryant WR TO's replacement or another OT
8 Oakland 3-7 Carlos Dunlap DE Typical Al pick; All measureables.
9 Kansas City 3-7 Eric Berry S Too bad for us; Chiefs can't pass up
10 Denver 4-6 Sam Bradford QB Orton's eventual replacement
11 49ers 4-6 Trent Williams OT Total need pick
12 NY Jets 4-6 Arthur Jones DT Long term replacement for S. Ellis
13 49ers 4-6 Derrick Morgan OLB It was Morgan or Joe Haden CB

Resign: Franklin
Sims

Cuts: Ulbrich
Battle
Bruce
Roman
Wallace
I can live with those...altho I still have Hughes as my #1 pass rusher.
Originally posted by genus49:
I can live with those...altho I still have Hughes as my #1 pass rusher.

Would like Jerry Hughes also.
Morgan is a good pass-rusher, but I feel Graham is not only just as good (well, better in my eyes, actually), he fits our system better and comes from a school producing fine hybrid linebacker prospects lately. He's more experienced as well.

I'd take the best available tackle, then go with Graham right now.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Morgan is a good pass-rusher, but I feel Graham is not only just as good (well, better in my eyes, actually), he fits our system better and comes from a school producing fine hybrid linebacker prospects lately. He's more experienced as well.

Most of that Michigan petigree is history, but Graham is one of the few guys who could have played with those guys when it was a respecable program. I think Graham will be a very good pro.
Give me Trent Williams and CJ Spiller.

I'd be prone to go the same direction, unless someone like Berry or Bryant fell into our laps (highly unlikely based on where we will be drafting).

Another side of me says to take every non-OL off the board, throw all the energy into the OL in the first round, and select the best OT and Mike Iupati (even if we reach), and look to an OLB/WR/KR in next few rounds.

The potential for a:
Staley-Iupati-Heitmann-Rachal-T. Williams offensive line is pretty appealing.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

I'd be prone to go the same direction, unless someone like Berry or Bryant fell into our laps (highly unlikely based on where we will be drafting).

Another side of me says to take every non-OL off the board, throw all the energy into the OL in the first round, and select the best OT and Mike Iupati (even if we reach), and look to an OLB/WR/KR in next few rounds.

The potential for a:

perhaps we could trade our 2nd and a 3rd or 4th and still get Iupati. I figure he could be chosen anwhere from 25-40, given the value placed on guards.

The potential for a:

I agree with this strategy. I'd much rather infuse the OL with new faces/talent and focus on the other areas later.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:

The potential for a:

perhaps we could trade our 2nd and a 3rd or 4th and still get Iupati. I figure he could be chosen anwhere from 25-40, given the value placed on guards.

Well, since it looks like we will have 2 picks in the early/middle of the 1st round. I say take the best tackle on the board and try to trade down later in the 1st round so we can grab Iupati without reaching and pick up another pick in the later rounds.

Originally posted by drake49er:
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:

The potential for a:

Well, since it looks like we will have 2 picks in the early/middle of the 1st round. I say take the best tackle on the board and try to trade down later in the 1st round so we can grab Iupati without reaching and pick up another pick in the later rounds.

Iupati appears right now to be the top rated guard in a somewhat weak guard draft. Any team looking to upgrade their guard position will no doubt have their eye on Iupati, so if we really want him we'll have to manuever to get him. I don't think he'll be around when our 2nd pick rolls around.

I wouldn't be opposed to trading a 3rd or 4th.. I think we need quality rather than quantity from this draft... Of course what happens in Free Agency could change everything.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
IMO I think the Chiefs go with CJ Spiller, they need a playmaker at RB.
The one problem with this mock is that Seattle has Denver's pick, and may very well select Williams to replace Walter jones. Though they could be looking for a replacement for Hasselback. But then again I think the Broncos have Chicago's pick so maybe that's it.
[ Edited by lamontb on Nov 25, 2009 at 9:36 AM ]
Can live with that. Right now I am not looking for high risk 1st round gambles on qb's
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
1 Cleveland 1-9 Jimmy Clausen QB This pick has to be a QB
2 St. Louis 1-9 Jake Locker QB See above
3 Tampa Bay 1-9 Ndamukong Suh DT Best defensive player in the draft
4 Detroit 2-8 Gerald McCoy DT Lions need help up front big time
5 Seattle 3-7 Russell Okung OT Time to finally replace Walter Jones
6 Washington 3-7 Bryan Bulaga OT Their offensive line is a sieve; QB next
7 Buffalo 3-7 Dez Bryant WR TO's replacement or another OT
8 Oakland 3-7 Carlos Dunlap DE Typical Al pick; All measureables.
9 Kansas City 3-7 Eric Berry S Too bad for us; Chiefs can't pass up
10 Denver 4-6 Sam Bradford QB Orton's eventual replacement
11 49ers 4-6 Trent Williams OT Total need pick
12 NY Jets 4-6 Arthur Jones DT Long term replacement for S. Ellis
13 49ers 4-6 Derrick Morgan OLB It was Morgan or Joe Haden CB

Resign: Franklin
Sims

Cuts: Ulbrich
Battle
Bruce
Roman
Wallace

Not to be nit picky but Denver is currently sitting at 6-4, whereas Tennessee is 4-6.
Share 49ersWebzone