LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 281 users in the forums

Earl Thomas to return punts for Seattle

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by RDB4216:
Sherman could return punts - but only one one side of the field!

Sherman would get crushed. Lots of guys would love to get a free shot at drama queen loud mouth.
http://seattletimes.com/html/seahawks/2023708885_seahawks28xml.html

Thomas and Harvin met with reporters and made it clear they want the job.

"I'm very excited,'' said Thomas, who had four punt returns for 58 yards in two years at Texas but has not returned a punt in the NFL. "I've been waiting on this opportunity. This is what I do. I'm an athlete. I've been trying to tell coach Carroll to put me back there for the longest (time). I always try to go back there during walk-throughs, just to try to sneak a punt return, show them who I am and I want to score a touchdown. So this is a perfect opportunity for me ... I'm an offensive guy at heart. That's why I don't try to go out of bounds when I catch interceptions."

And Thomas quickly shrugged off the idea that some might wonder if he is too valuable to risk returning punts.

"I don't care what they think, you know?" he said. "This is my future. I can help this team.''

Carroll likewise brushed aside the risk factor.

Harvin may seem the more obvious candidate, becoming known as one of the top kickoff returners in the NFL since entering the league in 2009. But he has never returned a punt as a pro.

Harvin, though, said he's happy to do kickoffs and punts, especially now that he is recovered from the hip injury that sidelined him most of last season. In one of the most positive signs of the day, he said he hasn't felt as good as he does now since college.

Harvin said Carroll approached him a few weeks ago with the idea of returning punts.

"Hopefully, if I get comfortable enough with it by preseason I can get some action back there," Harvin said.

Sherman was the only Seahawk besides Tate who returned a punt in 2013, fumbling an attempt that turned into a 6-yard loss late in the win at Arizona when Tate was out with a sore foot. Sherman was listed as the backup punt returner for most of the season.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Media fodder
Originally posted by LVJay:
Media fodder
qft

This is like Harbaugh trolling and saying Crabtree has "the best hands ever". Carroll just trolling the media.
Didn't Ed Reed return a lot of punts in Baltimore?
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Originally posted by JoRo:
Originally posted by VinculumJuris:
Harvin's such a puss.

Seiously...why not Harvin? Weren't special teams part of the calculus that made him worth all that money and all those picks? Is he just being used on kickoffs?

Right now they haven't really picked someone. Word around the net is it's between Philip Adams, Harvin, Paul Richardson. Pete threw out Sherman/Thomas but I don't think that would really happen.

or lord, please let Sherman return punts. PLEASE!
This! LOL! I think the whole league is hoping for this!

btw does anyone have a video of Ronnie Lott taking that huge late hit to rally up the team?! I could totally see someone taking a mere 15 yard late hit penalty for a shot at Sherman
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by theduke85:
Media fodder
qft

This is like Harbaugh trolling and saying Crabtree has "the best hands ever". Carroll just trolling the media.

I really hope they do let Thomas and Harvin and dick sheman (errrybody) catch punts/kickoffs so we can let this guy loose....

"Defensive tackle Lawrence Okoye chased down Darryl Morris during a kick return period. Okoye was lined up as a gunner had received several "oohs" from teammates after chasing down the speedy cornerback along the sideline." http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/Colin-Kaepernick-Connects-with-Brandon-Lloyd-for-Touchdown-at-49ers-OTAs/a804fa25-e8ee-4c5d-8b34-94979aea7a56

Imagine a beast like Okoye crashing full speed into someone
Media fodder
qft

I really hope they do let Thomas and Harvin and dick sheman (errrybody) catch punts/kickoffs so we can let this guy loose....

"Defensive tackle Lawrence Okoye chased down Darryl Morris during a kick return period. Okoye was lined up as a gunner had received several "oohs" from teammates after chasing down the speedy cornerback along the sideline." http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/Colin-Kaepernick-Connects-with-Brandon-Lloyd-for-Touchdown-at-49ers-OTAs/a804fa25-e8ee-4c5d-8b34-94979aea7a56

haha imagine hime trucking Thomas. He's be like a bug on a windshield hahah.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Media fodder
qft

Thomas would be hurting! Percy would be on ir again! And sherman well would be poetic justice :)
  • BenQ
  • Veteran
Media fodder
qft

that is f**kin nuts wtf

• LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Just his speed and strength alone would put fear into offenses. I hope Tomsula/Fangio can really develop this guy's techniques. Let him bull rush from the outside like Aldon rushing Jonathan Martin... it isn't far fetched to think he could at least do that, is it?

Originally posted by frankie:
Thomas would be hurting! Percy would be on ir again! And sherman well would be poetic justice :)

you got that right
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BenQ:
that is f**kin nuts wtf

That's what I was thinking... a 315 pound killer running that fast
On May 28th, a report like this means absolutely nothing. If Thomas or Sherman is returning kicks on September 4th, that would be something.
Originally posted by tondiman:
Originally posted by JoRo:
Originally posted by VinculumJuris:
Harvin's such a puss.

Seiously...why not Harvin? Weren't special teams part of the calculus that made him worth all that money and all those picks? Is he just being used on kickoffs?

Right now they haven't really picked someone. Word around the net is it's between Philip Adams, Harvin, Paul Richardson. Pete threw out Sherman/Thomas but I don't think that would really happen.

or lord, please let Sherman return punts. PLEASE!
This! LOL! I think the whole league is hoping for this!

btw does anyone have a video of Ronnie Lott taking that huge late hit to rally up the team?! I could totally see someone taking a mere 15 yard late hit penalty for a shot at Sherman

Yeah, I can picture the special teams players on every opponent that Seattle plays just drooling in anticipation for a chance to tackle him on the return. Come on "Cheaty-Pete", let Sherman return. Wonder if Crabtree would request playing on special teams just so he could whack Sherman. :-)
They are just blowing smoke, Percy Harvin will be returning both punts and kickoffs for the Seahawks this year.

Question is, who will step in when Harvin strains his pinky toe?
Share 49ersWebzone