LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 314 users in the forums

Greatest RB Of All Time?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Greatest RB Of All Time?

i wonder where marcus allen would be on this list had he not had several season wasted in the middle of his career with the raiders.
Originally posted by frankie:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by tondiman:
Barry Sanders HANDS DOWN. No question. For real. Can't argue about it. Don't even try. Stop. Shhh.

Lock this s**t up.

I'm out.

This is essentially how I feel. I don't believe there is any RB in the history of the game that matches him.

This is where i stand as well!

Ditto. In my lifetime I have never seen anyone move like him. I understand that Gale Sayers was the Barry Sanders before there was a Barry Sanders, and I know hie kicked a**. Sticking with Sanders--unbelievable runner.
Didn't he get 189 yards in the 83 Super Bowl with the Raiders? That's not too bad. Not that I give a crap about the Raiduhs.....
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by Niners99:
lol Bo Jackson only played 38 career games.

There is no definite best ever. Jim Brown is probably the greatest, but he played in a much different era than the rest.

Yeah, such a shame.
The career he likely would have had.
The career he likely would have had??? i wonder if he would've rushed for over 1,000 yards :)
I would have to vote for Jim brown. rushed for all those yards when they did not play in 16 game seasons. Now from what my grandpops said "the man was a beast. original beast mode"
growing up watching: Walter P was pretty sick, but man so was Dickerson. sanders left the game so soon.

if i had to choose 1...Brown
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Chico:
Barry Sanders! Not even a doubt in many peoples minds...
imagine what Barry would have done behind the Cowboys O-line...& if he hadn't retired early...
He'd probably have 30,000 yards and a 10.5 avg per carry

Barry could stop on a dime and then accelerate to full speed in two steps. He was unreal. Our 1994 superbowl defense had a tough time containing him in the regular season. One of the few backs that nearly hit a hundred yards against that defense that year.
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
Which of these had the worst o line?

I think that would be Sweetness,may he rest in peace.
its BS, and that aint no BS
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Brown's claim to the title of greatest running back of all time is supported by statistics. In 118 career games, Brown averaged 104.3 yards per game and 5.2 yards per carry. None of the NFL's career rushing leaders come close to these spectacular totals. For example, Walter Payton averaged only 88 yards per game during his career with a 4.4 yards-per-carry average. Emmitt Smith averaged only 81.2 yards per game with a 4.2 yards-per-carry average. Brown has famously said on the subject: "When running backs get in a room together, they don't argue about who is the best."

You younger fans need to educate yourselves on a subject before speaking on it. Jim Brown is the Jerry Rice of running backs. Even Barry Sanders dad agrees.

So much this it aint funny lol

I came up under Sweetness,love him to death,but I got to give it to Jim Brown.

Lord,had he played another 5-6 seasons,smh the numbers would be ridiculous.Walked away like a boss on his terms,in his prime,like "im bored wit this s**t"lol.Put him on the stuff guys are on today,with todays linemen,these none tacklin,fast LB's and S's would get destroyed.Please try to hit that man straight up,I dare you.Marshawn Lynch who??The Original Beastmode.
All the backs on this poll were greats in their respective eras.Put them in any era and they would dominate.

Barry Sanders did more with less than anyone else on that list, plus, he's one of only 2 backs in NFL history to rush for 1000+ yards in 10 consecutive seasons (Curtis Martin, though, admittedly, Payton is not on this list only because of the strike season). All that said, based on production and longevity, this argument comes down to only Payton, Sanders, and Brown. Payton and Brown played for the Bears and Browns at their peak, and Sanders played for the '90s Lions. 'Nuff said.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
IMO its only between Jim Brown and Barry Sanders. A great case can be made for both guys, but I voted Barry Sanders. Obviously its because I watched him play. I imagine guys that watched Brown play would say him, and the numbers can suggest that as well.

This. Was lucky to see him play in person many times. Simply amazing what Barry could do.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Chico:
Barry Sanders! Not even a doubt in many peoples minds...
imagine what Barry would have done behind the Cowboys O-line...& if he hadn't retired early...
He'd probably have 30,000 yards and a 10.5 avg per carry

Barry could stop on a dime and then accelerate to full speed in two steps. He was unreal. Our 1994 superbowl defense had a tough time containing him in the regular season. One of the few backs that nearly hit a hundred yards against that defense that year.
I also swear I saw him change direction in midair.
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
Which of these had the worst o line?

Easy barry sanders! GOAT of rbs
Originally posted by ninerjok:
I only say Walter Payton because he had the most longevity (was still productive past age 34) and played with game-manager type QBs most of his career so he was the focal point of the Bears' offense. He also held the career mark for rushing yards quite a while until Emmitt Smith eclipsed it. Don't get me wrong, B. Sanders was amazing. Probably the most elusive, dynamic running back I ever saw but didn't play long enough and only had 1 playoff win. The only game I attended at Candlestick was MNF vs. the Lions 1998. I went to see Young the first time ever in person, not knowing how much longer he'd play and was excited to see Barry as well. Ironically that night Barry was rendered totally ineffective with, I s**t you not, under 30 yds while the Niners rushed for over 300 (Garrison Hearst almost 200 with Young and Terry Kirby adding 60+ each). Steve passed for less than 100 yds which didn't matter one iota. The game simply dictated a huge dose of running the ball including 4 rushing TDs. It was a rare combo of swarming defense and a dominating ball-control offense resulting in a 35-13 rout. Might've been the worst rushing performance of Sanders' career. That was also the season Hearst broke his ankle on the s**tty astroturf of the Georgia Dome, 1st offensive series in the divisional playoff game. One of the most depressing moments in Niner history.

I remember this game clearly like yesterday! In barrys rookie yr he was held to -1 yds by gb!
Barrys the best imo tho
Share 49ersWebzone