There are 322 users in the forums

Goodell thinks playoffs will expand next season

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Yup goodell is destroying this sport

Worst commisioner ever. He isn't fighting for this sports. He just bends over and takes the dollar bills up his ass

YANL
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
This is one of the worst ideas I heard in a long time.

DelCed2486 is right on point with his comment !

" I don't mind the NBA format because at least those playoffs are a series, and no one pretends every regular season game is of great importance. NFL is a totally different animal with so few regular season games and single elimination playoffs. "
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Its gonna suck seeing a team like the Lions win a SB because its now gonna be march madness flukish. Aand don't even get started in how Refs can single handedly change outcomes with one bad call. Pretty much the team with the least injuries ad most luck will win due to the physicality of the sport and the one and done nature of the playoffs. The regular season means a whole lot less since half the teams will make it. 8-8 and 7-9 will get you in and if a conference is bad enough 6 wins or even 5 might do the trick.

The NFL was perfect and is on a slow but obvious decline. I just hope the Niners win this year. Then I can decide if I truly wanna continue to support this league.
I don't like it but I don't think it's that bad, it's only one extra team per conference, and most years a team like last year's Cardinals should've made the playoffs over a lesser division winner.

I just looked back on all the final records and playoff seedings since the 2002 realignment and most years a team with a winning record missed the playoffs, many times each conference had several teams with winning records and/or a team with double digit wins missing the playoffs. There were several times that an 8-8 team would've been the last team to make it had it been a 14 team playoff but not once would a 7-9 team or worse had been the last team to make it.

So if they do implement this yes we will see 8-8 teams make the playoffs as a wild card once in awhile, but most of the time it will be a team with a winning record and will add some extra excitement the last few weeks of the season to get that final spot in each conference. Now it's a whole different story if they add more games to the season like they were talking about which would REALLY piss me off .
Goodell needs to leave well enough alone ..."an NFL team in London" , "getting rid of the extra point", etc

if he wants to make some changes , how about allowing the teams to have 55 man rosters and allowing 2 extra players to dress on gameday? ..this will make teams more competitive and allow more flexibility , the NFL is a monster cash cow , no need to go and get greedy ..
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Goodell needs to leave well enough alone ..."an NFL team in London" , "getting rid of the extra point", etc

if he wants to make some changes , how about allowing the teams to have 55 man rosters and allowing 2 extra players to dress on gameday? ..this will make teams more competitive and allow more flexibility , the NFL is a monster cash cow , no need to go and get greedy ..

Yeah. He wants to change the game completely. Its pretty sad. The NFL will not be as popular by the time Kap retires. Book it.
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
I don't like it but I don't think it's that bad, it's only one extra team per conference, and most years a team like last year's Cardinals should've made the playoffs over a lesser division winner.

I just looked back on all the final records and playoff seedings since the 2002 realignment and most years a team with a winning record missed the playoffs, many times each conference had several teams with winning records and/or a team with double digit wins missing the playoffs. There were several times that an 8-8 team would've been the last team to make it had it been a 14 team playoff but not once would a 7-9 team or worse had been the last team to make it.

So if they do implement this yes we will see 8-8 teams make the playoffs as a wild card once in awhile, but most of the time it will be a team with a winning record and will add some extra excitement the last few weeks of the season to get that final spot in each conference. Now it's a whole different story if they add more games to the season like they were talking about which would REALLY piss me off .

I agree. Look, the league went to 12 playoff teams in 1990 when there were 28 teams in the league. That's 43% of teams making the playoffs. With the current 12/32, that's 38%. With 14/32 it would be 44%, or basically what it was from 1990-1994 before the Panthers/Jaguars expansion.
so theyre gonna add more teams the year we have a great shot to host and play in our own superbowl lol. why does goodell hate the niners so much?
This will be bad for the 49ers. Last thing we need is another fluke BS thing to keep us out of the Superbowl.
I have used a phrase often in this regard: I call "Tainted Super Bowls".

A "Tainted Super Bowl" is one where you finished in 2nd place in your division and got red hot at year-end. It begs an oxymoron "How can you be the best team in the NFL, yet only the second best team in your 4 team division".

I am not smart enough, for this to coexist in my head and remains unreconciled.

As a side note, If you don't like the Steeler or NY Giants fans, nothing will send them more ballistic then tell them both of their last two SBs are tainted and need as asterik.
[ Edited by OldJoe on Jun 9, 2014 at 12:47 PM ]

Share 49ersWebzone