There are 129 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Goodell thinks playoffs will expand next season

Quantity instead of quality for the dictator-

The 2014 season will probably be the last with only 12 playoff teams, Commissioner Roger Goodell said today.

Goodell said the league's owners have discussed the issues related to expanding the playoffs to 14 teams, and he said he expects that to happen for the 2015 season. Goodell said the league will spend 2014 continuing to examine any issues related to beefing up the playoffs, and should be good to go for a 14-team playoff beginning in January of 2016.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/20/goodell-thinks-playoffs-will-expand-next-season/#comment-3374738
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:

The 2014 season will probably be the last with only 12 playoff teams, Commissioner Roger Goodell said today.

Goodell said the league's owners have discussed the issues related to expanding the playoffs to 14 teams, and he said he expects that to happen for the 2015 season. Goodell said the league will spend 2014 continuing to examine any issues related to beefing up the playoffs, and should be good to go for a 14-team playoff beginning in January of 2016.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/20/goodell-thinks-playoffs-will-expand-next-season/#comment-3374738

its gonna practically be like basketball

half the league gonna make it in
Playoff expansion is terrible in the NFL because of the fact that it's one-and-done. I'm okay with it in the other major sports, because you're dealing with multiple game series. I don't think it works well at all for football though.
I do see how it could add excitement to the playoffs though. It would shift the playoffs more towards a March Madness feel, and would increase revenue. I am staunchly against it, but I do see the appeal.
I don't see the appeal at all. Jerry Jones says there's "a lot of enthusiasm" for expanded playoffs, but I've yet to see it from a fan perspective, seems like maybe 1% support it. With 32 teams, the 17-week, 16-game reg season with 12-team playoffs is nearly perfect. I know it's for the money, but I'll still ask the rhetorical question: Why f**k up something that works so well and the fans love?
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
I don't see the appeal at all. Jerry Jones says there's "a lot of enthusiasm" for expanded playoffs, but I've yet to see it from a fan perspective, seems like maybe 1% support it. With 32 teams, the 17-week, 16-game reg season with 12-team playoffs is nearly perfect. I know it's for the money, but I'll still ask the rhetorical question: Why f**k up something that works so well and the fans love?

of course cowboys fans want expanded playoffs. how many times do they get eliminated from the playoffs by one of their division rivals? Lol f**k them
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Originally posted by DelCed2486:

of course cowboys fans want expanded playoffs. how many times do they get eliminated from the playoffs by one of their division rivals? Lol f**k them

Actually, opposite is true, at least when checking out some of their fan forums...almost all hate the idea, and a buch with good lines about how the Cowboys would still miss out of the playoffs.

The NBA is exactly what I thought of when I read it.
So stupid. The playoff format is absolutely perfect the way it is now, and every time I see fans vote on this subject, they feel the same way. This is just about Jerry Jones trying to get his pathetic team to play one week longer before getting eliminated.
f**k Roger Goodell. How much more does he want to ruin this game? f**k that guy

Yeah. Now 8-8 teams are going to consistently get it
It wasn't good enough to have a 7-9 team make the playoffs, we need more mediocrity...
Originally posted by CWin4949:
It wasn't good enough to have a 7-9 team make the playoffs, we need more mediocrity...

More games = More injuries = More of a chance fluke teams can win it all
It's all about the money. The late NFL Commissioner Pete Rozelle would tell people his dream was to have every team go 8-8. This way there would be maximum fan interest and guaranteed ratings right till the last game. There will be many more teams like the 2012 Baltimore Ravens who lost 4 of their last 5 games and still won the ring. We fans who live and die with our teams ignore the fact that the powers that control the sport are concerned with one thing......................
time to impeach this fruitcake. if he was to just bent over and die a horrible death I would not lose any sleep nor will it bother me a single bit.
"I think the NFL is 10 years away from an implosion. When pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. And they're getting hoggy. When you try to take it too far, people turn the other way. I'm just telling you, when you got a good thing and you get greedy, it always, always, always, always, always turns against you.

Don't always agree with Cuban but he is on the money here. Keep it up Goodell,
[ Edited by NeonNiner on May 20, 2014 at 7:10 PM ]