There are 87 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

New lawsuit against the NFL

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/ex-players-nfl-illegally-supplied-administered-drugs

This is something that could get REAL ugly and REAL bad for the NFL and in a hurry. I have been dreading this lawsuit because what the NFL did was criminal. I do not practice law and do not know what statute of limitations would be in the states these crimes were committed, but this is no different than a person administering powerful pain meds to their neighbors for a fee. The suite is double edged in that if there waaaas a doctor administering the meds and lying to the player, then that has to be malpractice and a serious ethics violation. I know all teams use doctors now, but admit to being ignorant of when that started and became the standard.

This is going to be bad I think.
[ Edited by WINiner on May 20, 2014 at 3:43 PM ]
Greed.

This is why big business needs to be regulated
Wow.
Plantation owner mentality. use, abuse and replace
Originally posted by 16to87:
Plantation owner mentality. use, abuse and replace

no kidding. massa gets do whatever he wants to and field Negro's are bound by the rules of the massa.
Mark Cuban's comment about piggy needing to be taken to the slaughter house may indeed be accurate.
Jeremy Newberry described players receiving pregame anti-inflammatory injections in their buttocks.

(for marsh)
Originally posted by YungAce:
Jeremy Newberry described players receiving pregame anti-inflammatory injections in their buttocks.

Bet the NFL(Roger GoToHell) somehow spin this as being a problem of individual teams instead that of NFL's.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Who here is shocked by this? I am not. I blame the players on this one, I know a lot of football players aren't Rhode Scholars, but give me a break. If something is swollen, immobile, or hurts like hell and some dude gives you a shot or a handful of pills and you feel good enough to play a physically taxing game like football and do you are going to damage your body. Jeremy Newberry only deserves to win a lawsuit if he gets an I.Q. test and he scores under 70, if not he should know better. I am with the players on the concussion issue as for the longest time every one thought only boxers could end up with brain damage. NFL players have been popping pain meds like candy and taking shots forever, nothing new. If you can get something that makes you able to run on a knee you previously could not walk on even the dumbest man on the planet knows you risk a bad injury if you do anything more than rest.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BobS:
Who here is shocked by this? I am not. I blame the players on this one, I know a lot of football players aren't Rhode Scholars, but give me a break. If something is swollen, immobile, or hurts like hell and some dude gives you a shot or a handful of pills and you feel good enough to play a physically taxing game like football and do you are going to damage your body. Jeremy Newberry only deserves to win a lawsuit if he gets an I.Q. test and he scores under 70, if not he should know better. I am with the players on the concussion issue as for the longest time every one thought only boxers could end up with brain damage. NFL players have been popping pain meds like candy and taking shots forever, nothing new. If you can get something that makes you able to run on a knee you previously could not walk on even the dumbest man on the planet knows you risk a bad injury if you do anything more than rest.

Agree! These players, who knew, about the meds they were taking didn't complain during their NFL careers while they were making millions. Just like everything else in life, this is "ALL ABOUT THE BENJAMINS!
I would peg it as equal parts greed on the part of the organization (not even necessarily by the ownership, or for money--but culturewide, from owner to coach to other players, for wins, prestige, etc); and the players, for the warrior mentality, play through pain, prove you are the toughest, etc.

Bottom line, I think it was wrong, but it was obviously wrong--everyone knew what it was about.

Going forward, though, I think it needs to change. My suggestion? Increase the roster size and lengthen the season; teams would play through rotations, similar to baseball. Guys could have 2-3 weeks to recover (or more), since there wouldn't be pressure to play every week. Larger rosters would help alleviate the need to get players on the field or off the 53-man roster. Aside from health, it would also add another chess element in terms of player lineup, whose personnel are active each week, etc.
Originally posted by Chico:
Originally posted by BobS:

Agree! These players, who knew, about the meds they were taking didn't complain during their NFL careers while they were making millions. Just like everything else in life, this is "ALL ABOUT THE BENJAMINS!

The best thing about this thread is that it culled in your most idiot posters in the first 3 comments: duh.

It totally sucks that players get hurt. It is not a "phantom" menace that hurts them.....
I Dunno.... But i bet more then half those players, asked to be given "something" that would BE ABLE TO make them play on SUNDAY.Its just the mentallity of the NFL, You look weak if you miss Game Time. Ask Ronnie Lott,Alex Smith,Jay Cutler, Kris Dielman,Russel Allen. and the late Kory Stringer Weakness is not part of the NFL.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sanjo49er:
I Dunno.... But i bet more then half those players, asked to be given "something" that would BE ABLE TO make them play on SUNDAY.Its just the mentallity of the NFL, You look weak if you miss Game Time. Ask Ronnie Lott,Alex Smith,Jay Cutler, Kris Dielman,Russel Allen. and the late Kory Stringer Weakness is not part of the NFL.
That mentality starts at the peewee level. Jr High sports teams have trainers whose basic job is to keep the players as "healthy" as possible. You make choices at a young age to play through pain or sit on the sidelines. At Jr. High level it is only ice, tape and Advil, but the level of treatment increases as you move up the ranks. To me the choice is all on the player in the NFL, you can say no. You know going in it is a rough game and contracts are only guaranteed through the end of the season. Unless you are blind even as at the indestructible age of 22 as a rookie you can see the battered veterans all around you. Heck I ran across people in their mid 20's I knew from high school football that were hobbled from knee surgeries who never played in college. Of course sports medicine is much more advanced than it was 30+ years ago the same injuries probably would not have called lasting damage. I cannot believe the Jeremy Newberry stories took so long to get the huge attention they are getting now. Like I said they knew what they were getting into, and no one should be shocked by what they hear, it has been going on since Jim Thorpe and the league was founded.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
This lawsuit is going to be difficult to win. You have to say that the player had absolutely no choice but to do what the team and the trainer's wanted them to do. I think that's a hard argument to make.