There are 266 users in the forums

Aaron Lynch Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by sf_nicoya:
dan skuta and corey lemonier are nice players, but neither has the potential to be a GAME CHANGER like aaron lynch. if he is motivated and you combine that with a coach like tomsula behind him the sky is the limit. before he left ND he was positioned to be a top 10 draft pick.

I respectfully disagree with the bolded. Lemonier is a physical specimen who has shown in limited time to have some serious explosiveness off the line, something you obviously can't teach. We haven't seen enough of Lemonier to determine his potential as a game changer yet, but my hope is that the Niners sign up to an extension just before he slides into Brooks' spot after next year. Brooks is costing us 7 and 8 mil per respectively over the next two years and if we can sign Lemonier to a 4 yr/12 mil extension, I think the Niners need to think long and hard about which LB they want to invest in.

Lynch is a beast and would definitely add to the depth of this group. We could be the 3-4 equivalent of the NY Giants circa their recent Super Bowl teams.
we have seen what lemonier did at auburn and it was NOTHING like what lynch did at ND. lemonier doesnt have the combination of size, speed/quickness and strength that lynch does. when lynch was on at ND he was relentless, insane motor and almost unstoppable. this guy is a rare combination of gifts that teams dream of and their comparison's end with similar height. that's it.

btw they played 2 different positions in college so the comparisons isnt really fair and id prefer lynch moves back to 5 technique eventually.

he just needs to keep his head on straight.
[ Edited by sf_nicoya on Aug 4, 2014 at 12:43 PM ]
  • Disp
  • Veteran
we have seen what lemonier did at auburn and it was NOTHING like what lynch did at ND. lemonier doesnt have the combination of size, speed/quickness and strength that lynch does. when lynch was on at ND he was relentless, insane motor and almost unstoppable. this guy is a rare combination of gifts that teams dream of.

he just needs to keep his head on straight.

Aldon had 14.5 sacks in 2 years in college, and 3 his final season. It doesn't matter what they did in college, and Lemonier has already proven to be very good as a pass rusher. He didn't get a lot of sacks, but he did have a ton of hurries and pressures, which are still extremely important.
How can you say Corey Lemonier is a good pass rusher from the small sample size? Because he had one sack against the worst left tackle in the league, bradley sowell? Corey lemonier can only dream of having the natural, god given hand strength and hip fluidity aaron lynch has. You never see lemonier put a lineman on his ass the way lynch did at ND.

As far as Aldon goes he was hurt at miss and they also had him play inside at 3 technique a lot.
[ Edited by sf_nicoya on Aug 4, 2014 at 12:54 PM ]
How can you say Corey Lemonier is a good pass rusher from the small sample size? Because he had one sack against the worst left tackle in the league, bradley sowell? Corey lemonier can only dream of having the natural, god given hand strength and hip fluidity aaron lynch has.

As far as Aldon goes he was hurt at miss and they also had him play inside at 3 technique a lot.

You may be correct but we don't have enough sample size to say that about either. What we do know is that Lemonier had a very successful rookie season despite limited opportunities.

As far as your Lynch vs. Lemonier college stats comparison, I think it is fair to say that Auburn played FAR superior opponents vs. ND and their annual soft schedule. The idea that Lemonier produced his stats with annually one of the tougher schedules while Lynch played teams like Purdue, Army, Cal State East Bay, and Ohlone Community College tells me that we still need to see what Lynch can do at THIS level before assuming his superiority.
Why can't we just keep 5 OLBs? Aldon, Ahmad, Dan, Lemons, and Lynch. Were not going to have Smith for a good period of time and we're really going to be in a good position to give Lynch and Lemons snaps. Skuta won't be resigned so it just makes sense to get future depth ready and develop potential starters. Lemons or Lynch could be heir apparent to Ahmad in 3 years or even upgrade. I for one won't cut that kind of potential in this kind go situation. Not to mention both we're drafted below the 6the so baalke ain't going to cut or trade them anyway unless they don't show up.

Also this isn't relevant at all but Lynch is a physical specimen. He has the length Baalke loves and his lower body is fluid while at the same time explosive.
[ Edited by eonblue on Aug 4, 2014 at 1:09 PM ]
and to clarify things by no means am i saying corey lemonier is no good or has no upside. he's a solid player.

but aaron lynch can be special ala aldon.
[ Edited by sf_nicoya on Aug 4, 2014 at 1:25 PM ]
Originally posted by SnotBubbles:
I respectfully disagree with the bolded. Lemonier is a physical specimen who has shown in limited time to have some serious explosiveness off the line, something you obviously can't teach. We haven't seen enough of Lemonier to determine his potential as a game changer yet, but my hope is that the Niners sign up to an extension just before he slides into Brooks' spot after next year. Brooks is costing us 7 and 8 mil per respectively over the next two years and if we can sign Lemonier to a 4 yr/12 mil extension, I think the Niners need to think long and hard about which LB they want to invest in.

Lynch is a beast and would definitely add to the depth of this group. We could be the 3-4 equivalent of the NY Giants circa their recent Super Bowl teams.

They can't extend Lemonier until after his third year based on the new CBA. That was basically a kick in the crotch to the Niners, who have made a living over the past few years giving guys hefty raises, but ultimately very reasonable deals, two years before they hit the market.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
How can you say Corey Lemonier is a good pass rusher from the small sample size? Because he had one sack against the worst left tackle in the league, bradley sowell? Corey lemonier can only dream of having the natural, god given hand strength and hip fluidity aaron lynch has. You never see lemonier put a lineman on his ass the way lynch did at ND.

Look at Profootballfocus's grades. He had one of the highest pass rushing grades of any rookie. It takes into account sacks, hurries, and hits. An offense's success drops substantially when one of those happens, regardless of whether it turns into a sack. Obviously sacks are the best thing for a defense to have other than a turnover, but pressure is extremely important.
Originally posted by eonblue:
Why can't we just keep 5 OLBs? Aldon, Ahmad, Dan, Lemons, and Lynch. Were not going to have Smith for a good period of time and we're really going to be in a good position to give Lynch and Lemons snaps. Skuta won't be resigned so it just makes sense to get future depth ready and develop potential starters. Lemons or Lynch could be heir apparent to Ahmad in 3 years or even upgrade. I for one won't cut that kind of potential in this kind go situation. Not to mention both we're drafted below the 6the so baalke ain't going to cut or trade them anyway unless they don't show up.

Also this isn't relevant at all but Lynch is a physical specimen. He has the length Baalke loves and his lower body is fluid while at the same time explosive.

Yeah, I've got them with five OLBs assuming Lynch forces the issue. If he doesn't, he'll go to the PS.

Originally posted by Disp:
Look at Profootballfocus's grades. He had one of the highest pass rushing grades of any rookie. It takes into account sacks, hurries, and hits. An offense's success drops substantially when one of those happens, regardless of whether it turns into a sack. Obviously sacks are the best thing for a defense to have other than a turnover, but pressure is extremely important.

Yea but yet again you have.a limited.same.size. I don't know how he would grade if he was playing an entire game.
Whatever happens.. Keep him niners.... He is going to be special! I get rid of skuta. This kid is just too special to get rid of and have some other team come and scoop him up and have him chasing Keap around in a couple of years I don't care how they do it. Don't let this kid go. We will regret if we do.
http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/8/3/5965475/vic-fangio-press-conference-transcript-nose-tackle-rookies-ilb-competition

Fangio ain't messing around!! Tough love baby!!!
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eonblue:

Yea but yet again you have.a limited.same.size. I don't know how he would grade if he was playing an entire game.

But we know Lynch will be awesome because of how well he played in college 2 years ago? Aldon never played a whole game his first year either. I'm not saying Lemonier is the next Aldon, but he's done very well in his limited play.
But we know Lynch will be awesome because of how well he played in college 2 years ago? Aldon never played a whole game his first year either. I'm not saying Lemonier is the next Aldon, but he's done very well in his limited play.eat

Hes almost completely untested tho. His biggest concern is run defense and nothing about last season answered that. I watched his pass rushes last season multiple times too and he doesn't have a counter move either. So if you want to say we have more tape on Lemons fine. If you want to say he created some pressure that's also fine. Those things are not a whole game though where he has multiple assignments to digest and react to. One thing I noticed about Lemons at Auburn is he makes mental mistakes easily. If a rush is not succcesful he will try to overdo the rush into a run play and leave open a big gap. And the mistakes get into his head. Also another big question. But my point is not to say lemons is bad because I've believed in him day one. I still do but last season in no way is a certainty if his starting ability. He was put into the very best position to succeed inin a very limited nature as well. Very little room for him to look bad.

Smith also had 13 sacks
Share 49ersWebzone