LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 455 users in the forums

Is it time for the NFL to do away with testing and suspensions for weed?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Is it time for the NFL to do away with testing and suspensions for weed?

Originally posted by TonyStarks:
NO

Because there are cloaking supplementals for Mj that can also be used for Testosterones and steroids.

Hey so not trying to be a hater or a troll, just wanted to point out that this is factually incorrect. Masking agents do not work, for any drug, unless you are talking about something that you put directly in the urine after it has left your body.

The technique that is always used is dilution. All those 'masking' products always want you to drink a gallon or more of liquid not too long before you take your test.. dilution is why. Nowadays they test for creatine levels to make sure you haven't diluted.

Like I said - not trying to hate or be combative, just seriously want to inform, because your objections don't seem based on 'hurrrr duurrr weed is bad', just based on some slick marketing lies...
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by btthepunk:
It's time for the USA to legalize it and treat it the same way as alcohol which is 1000x worse.
Had a roommate who would get quite paranoid when high. One time he heard a gunshot in the distance when he was in the house watching TV, true it was Riverside Ca so it probably was directed at a human somewhere. The genius called the cops then armed himself and walked 100 yards across a dimly lit yard to my shop while I was working to tell me he heard gun fire. He made his walk holding the gun in plain view. I told him how stupid he was to call the cops then walk around outside with a gun. He didn't understand his screw up until the next day. Cops never showed up fortunately. Had another guy once who was stoned start swallowing BB's one at a time while the rest of us were playing poker. Those are the only two stoned and stupid stories I can think of, while I probably have 100 or more drunk and stupid ones.
So I would say maybe 100x worse, not 1000x, ha,ha. I don't smoke either so I consider that an unbiased observation.
This will be a tough choice for the players that use both -
Maybe the NFL wants HGH testing badly enough to drop the general ban on marijuana. Because marijuana use does nothing to undermine the integrity of the game but HGH does, it should be a no-brainer.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/13/league-seems-to-be-trying-to-entice-players-to-yield-on-hgh-impasse/
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on May 14, 2014 at 12:52 AM ]
I don't smoke weed. But who cares if pro players do? I think they should. They are under a lot of pressure just do it
Originally posted by BobS:
Had a roommate who would get quite paranoid when high. One time he heard a gunshot in the distance when he was in the house watching TV, true it was Riverside Ca so it probably was directed at a human somewhere. The genius called the cops then armed himself and walked 100 yards across a dimly lit yard to my shop while I was working to tell me he heard gun fire. He made his walk holding the gun in plain view. I told him how stupid he was to call the cops then walk around outside with a gun. He didn't understand his screw up until the next day. Cops never showed up fortunately. Had another guy once who was stoned start swallowing BB's one at a time while the rest of us were playing poker. Those are the only two stoned and stupid stories I can think of, while I probably have 100 or more drunk and stupid ones.
So I would say maybe 100x worse, not 1000x, ha,ha. I don't smoke either so I consider that an unbiased observation.

Maybe 150x.
I don't smoke anymore either. I haven't habitually for about 7 years and haven't had any for about 2 years. I have a few beers a week though but I can easily control how much I drink.
My dad has smoked pretty much everyday since he was about 16 and he's 61 now. He's the smartest guy I know and always had a great job and no issues until he basically broke his back and was diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. I know a lot of people who have done idiotic stuff while high though.
If the NFL says no weed, and they're going to pay you at minimum like $300k. Put down the weed son. Because if you can't put down the weed for $300k+ you're being a child. Plain and simple. For everyone who is busted doing drugs in the NFL, there are like 50 other players who aren't busted because they can follow simple rules. Maybe we should turn all stop signs into yield signs, because a few jerk offs can't handle following a simple rule.

My current job stopped testing after initial hire and well it's legal in Washington, I wouldn't mind lighting one up (but never found need to). If I got a job that paid $300k+/year and said no weed, with continuous testing...that's not that difficult. There are other ways to lighten up that play in their rules..like BOOZE?!? just get a damn Taxi driver to take you home that night.
Originally posted by zaghawk:
If the NFL says no weed, and they're going to pay you at minimum like $300k. Put down the weed son. Because if you can't put down the weed for $300k+ you're being a child. Plain and simple. For everyone who is busted doing drugs in the NFL, there are like 50 other players who aren't busted because they can follow simple rules. Maybe we should turn all stop signs into yield signs, because a few jerk offs can't handle following a simple rule.

My current job stopped testing after initial hire and well it's legal in Washington, I wouldn't mind lighting one up (but never found need to). If I got a job that paid $300k+/year and said no weed, with continuous testing...that's not that difficult. There are other ways to lighten up that play in their rules..like BOOZE?!? just get a damn Taxi driver to take you home that night.

I agree with the rule is a rule argument but the problem is is that it shouldn't be a rule. Marijuana is proven to be better for you than hundreds of prescription drugs and doesn't cause a fraction of the problems that alcohol causes. Goodell wouldn't be softening his stance on it if it weren't for players getting busted with it. The NFL would be all for it if they were getting the kind of money from it that they get from Coors and AB.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by zaghawk:

I agree with the rule is a rule argument but the problem is is that it shouldn't be a rule. Marijuana is proven to be better for you than hundreds of prescription drugs and doesn't cause a fraction of the problems that alcohol causes. Goodell wouldn't be softening his stance on it if it weren't for players getting busted with it. The NFL would be all for it if they were getting the kind of money from it that they get from Coors and AB.

It's a slippery slope. Like it or not, athletes are role models to a lot of kids, and although our number 1 job of a parent is to actually be parents. It sure would be nice to point to role models that the kids already love on TV and say..."see he doesn't do drugs", rather than have to explain why is it okay for X player to be blasted on TMZ high out of his ass, yet my kid shouldn't smoke.
2 things moving the needle these days are gay rights and legalizing weed. we're clearly headed to a place where it will be legal down the road, the NFL is surprisingly being a little forward thinking with this. yes they're role models and i dont really want to see a interview with a niner player who is clearly baked on the job or anything like that. but when i look at booze, which was once illegal, it can be pretty harmful for you and its been accepted by the general public. i see no reason why weed wont be joining it, just a matter of when.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I have mixed feelings on the issue. My concern about legalization of marijuana is having to deal with second-hand smoke. A person drinking next to me doesn't bother me. A person smoking weed next to me does. Anyway, I wouldn't have a problem if the NFL kept it illegal, but stopped testing for it. Tell the players not to publically promote it, or be caught in public using it. Then you keep up the role model aspect of it.

This
Originally posted by IEAD:
Still illegal in all but two states. Gotta grow up sometime.
If I was getting paid millions and my company asked me not to smoke, I would quit in good faith, but then again, nothing wasmore important to me than good weed when I was 20. Teams should expect their athletes perform at their top level and if they can scientifically prove weed hinders that,they should have a right to ban it at their work place. Should definitely be decriminalized though .
is alcohol banned? no. then why should marijuana?
I live in Colorado, and even though it's recreational use was passed into law this January, there are still enough pockets of resistance to thwart the growth of legalization as many envisioned. So far, only two states have gone this far...Colorado and Washington. More states should follow their leadership soon, but it's really hard to tell how many. It'd be very hard and unlikely for the NFL to look the other way at this point. While I agree it's long past time for law enforcement to quit wasting millions of dollars in taxpayer money to go after pot smokers, there's still a ways to go before organizations such as the NFL will abandon current restrictions. Sad...but true.
Originally posted by fryet:
I have mixed feelings on the issue. My concern about legalization of marijuana is having to deal with second-hand smoke. A person drinking next to me doesn't bother me. A person smoking weed next to me does. Anyway, I wouldn't have a problem if the NFL kept it illegal, but stopped testing for it. Tell the players not to publically promote it, or be caught in public using it. Then you keep up the role model aspect of it.

The public smoking bans for cigarettes would apply for MJ, so not sure why second-hand smoke when be that big of a worry.
Share 49ersWebzone