There are 159 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is it time for the NFL to do away with testing and suspensions for weed?

Is it time for the NFL to do away with testing and suspensions for weed?

Gordon is a gigantic idiot for continuing to smoke with a giant magnifying glass over him and the ultimate consequences for another failed test.

THAT SAID, I believe it's time for the NFL to consider doing away with testing and suspensions for weed, it's legal in 2 states now, reports are that weed use amongst NFL payers is widespread and positive tests are easily avoided because they are warned before a test. It's medical benefits for pain management is real and well documented which is a big benefit to players who are pretty much injured all the time, and weed use does not cause people to do the stupid kinds of things that alcohol does, which is perfectly legal. The legalization in CO and WA have not resulted in mayhem as many had predicted, quite the opposite.


I don't smoke weed, but many of my friends do, and my whole life I've had friends who did, and I can personally attest from observation that weed is nowhere near the destructive substance that alcohol is. And I am by no means anti-alcohol.

On the flip side, tar from marijuana is damaging to the lungs which can negatively affect a player's athletic performance, and those who live on the edge will often get high, then get drunk, and what follows can be a total mess. People who smoke can easily conceal it, so players might come to practice stoned, meetings stoned, and lose their edge if they get addicted. But they might be doing it already if it's as widespread as reported.

Ultimately however, it boils down to $$$. If you're suspending big time names such as Gordon and Von Miller, you're losing $$, period, which is the biggest reason the NFL would have for considering letting players get high, would it make them more money?

Good article that written by someone much smarter than I: http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-nfl-should-let-its-players-smoke-pot/2014/01/10/d97f5c56-7710-11e3-af7f-13bf0e9965f6_story.html
  • IEAD
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 759
Still illegal in all but two states. Gotta grow up sometime.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 7,660
It needs to be legal in all states. Colorado is cleaning up. Unfortunately too many middle aged alcoholic lawmakers believe smoking pot leads immediately to main lining heroin.
Do away with it for what? If I had the opportunity to make millions of dollars to play a freaking GAME and the ONLY thing I had to do was not do drugs or get arrested I'd take it in a heartbeat. This isn't about the big bad NFL cracking down on the poor poor players. This is about guys knowing the rules and willfully ignoring them. If weed were legal tomorrow, do you really think that people like Josh Gordon (and Aldon Smith…just to be fair) would suddenly be trouble-free?

No, they would just find something else to get suspended for.

Personally, I support legalizing marijuana but no matter your feelings on the topic I think we all can agree that these grown ass men need to start taking accountability for their actions. I'm sorry dude, but not smoking weed isn't that difficult. And if you don't like the rules the solution is simple: go get another job.

Nobody is forcing you to play football. Word to Ricky Williams.
Originally posted by BobS:
It needs to be legal in all states. Colorado is cleaning up. Unfortunately too many middle aged alcoholic lawmakers believe smoking pot leads immediately to main lining heroin.

Definitely this!
Originally posted by baltien:
Do away with it for what? If I had the opportunity to make millions of dollars to play a freaking GAME and the ONLY thing I had to do was not do drugs or get arrested I'd take it in a heartbeat. This isn't about the big bad NFL cracking down on the poor poor players. This is about guys knowing the rules and willfully ignoring them. If weed were legal tomorrow, do you really think that people like Josh Gordon (and Aldon Smith…just to be fair) would suddenly be trouble-free?

No, they would just find something else to get suspended for.

Personally, I support legalizing marijuana but no matter your feelings on the topic I think we all can agree that these grown ass men need to start taking accountability for their actions. I'm sorry dude, but not smoking weed isn't that difficult. And if you don't like the rules the solution is simple: go get another job.

Nobody is forcing you to play football. Word to Ricky Williams.

Very well said. I never understood how it was too hard to just stop smoking weed when they're getting paid that well.

It should be legalized everywhere, but weed is still banned by the NFL.
I think the poll should actually be if stupid f*cking people that are being paid millions to play a game, should owe that money back to the team because they can't follow simple rules.
  • titan
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,599
That would be funny!!! Dude stoned out if his a$$ looking stupid and loopy and gets hit by a player like Patrick Willis. I would LMAO!!!!!
I don't even make millions of dollars and my company has a no drug policy (and I live in Seattle), so I do not smoke weed (or care to) anymore. You got a grown up job, you gotta make some grown up decisions.
i'd be against it. once you take it off the list and open it up for everyone to do, thats when they'll be firing them up at halftime and look all baked in the post game interviews
Smoke weed everyday
  • BobS
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 7,660
Considering how popular weed is with the under 25 crowd and the fact that is about the zone's average age I think we have a bunch of hypocrites in here. As for the middle aged alcoholic lawmaker, odd that views on many things have changed over the last 50 years but the old 1960's reasoning that pot is a gateway drug hasn't changed with a lot of people. I honestly think a person who hasn't tried it because it is illegal is a rarity. I wouldn't smoke it if it was given away free on every street corner, those that want to use it do regardless if it is legal or not. The states that legalize it not only make money from taxing the people growing and selling they aren't spending money enforcing marijuana laws and jailing the offenders, a double win. California is something like $10,000 in debt for every man woman and child living in the state. Wonder how much fully legalizing pot would work that $10k down without raising taxes. As for top gateway drug it is alcohol hands down, and the leading cause of stupid actions world wide. I have a few friends I have known for over 25 years, when we sit around and talk about all the stupid stuff we did when much younger that could have gotten us in trouble the common denominator was alcohol, and that is legal pretty much USA wide except for a few places here and there.
Originally posted by crabman82:
i'd be against it. once you take it off the list and open it up for everyone to do, thats when they'll be firing them up at halftime and look all baked in the post game interviews

that is true, but a year suspension is way too excessive
NO



Because there are cloaking supplementals for Mj that can also be used for Testosterones and steroids.
Originally posted by MichaelHuffTexas:
Originally posted by crabman82:
i'd be against it. once you take it off the list and open it up for everyone to do, thats when they'll be firing them up at halftime and look all baked in the post game interviews

that is true, but a year suspension is way too excessive

How many times can you break the rules before you get punished?