LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

Do you want Johnny Manziel to succeed?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Do you want Johnny Manziel to succeed?

Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
Originally posted by LayTheWoodall:
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
He might be a real dbag but at least he's real.

No facetime to keep in touch with the kids?! lol

Honestly, he loves his new Microsoft Surface.

As the Seahawks all use iPads.

Not all of the Seacawks.

Whatever make's the most people pissed off than that's what I want. Which will probably him succeeding.... Lol
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
He's really hated for no reason in the same way that Kaep is. Sure, he parties like a normal college student should, and makes show me the money signs.

Kaep kisses his biceps, has tattoos and isn't the prototypical QB and people think he's a 'douche'. Yet, we all know that if you read reports of people close to him, he is hard working, smart and a great person. Manziel is the same way
A lot of us old school fans preferred the Barry Sanders types who didn't showboat. Football is the ultimate team sport, one guy out of eleven not doing his job can screw up any given play. Nobody makes a play without the help of his teammates so for some of us the over the top "look at me" crap gets old.

Well it is 2014 and the league has changed. Manziel does nothing crazy or out of the ordinary to draw attention to himself, the media does it. And that is why I have problem with the hate. Hate the media for them stuffing everything he does in your faces.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BobS:
He's really hated for no reason in the same way that Kaep is. Sure, he parties like a normal college student should, and makes show me the money signs.

Kaep kisses his biceps, has tattoos and isn't the prototypical QB and people think he's a 'douche'. Yet, we all know that if you read reports of people close to him, he is hard working, smart and a great person. Manziel is the same way
A lot of us old school fans preferred the Barry Sanders types who didn't showboat. Football is the ultimate team sport, one guy out of eleven not doing his job can screw up any given play. Nobody makes a play without the help of his teammates so for some of us the over the top "look at me" crap gets old.

Well it is 2014 and the league has changed. Manziel does nothing crazy or out of the ordinary to draw attention to himself, the media does it. And that is why I have problem with the hate. Hate the media for them stuffing everything he does in your faces.
You cannot blame the media for him having a goofy looking face that makes you want to slap him.
yes, but its going to be very hard in that Division.

(Steelers, Ravens, and Cincy )

RIP Johny Football
Absolutely...why not? The Browns desperately needed a guy like him...to give their fans real hope for the future. Unfortunately, his best WR likely won't be playing this season because of his 3rd illegal substance issue. All you needed to see was the reaction in Radio City Music Hall to his selection...it was the most boisterous, enthusiastic response from the crowd the entire draft. So, yeah, I hope he does well...he's good for Cleveland and the NFL, IMHO.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
yes, but its going to be very hard in that Division.

(Steelers, Ravens, and Cincy )

RIP Johny Football
Oddly enough only Cincy had a top ten defense in that group last year, Pitt and Balt were pretty much average.
I don't have a dog in this hunt other than I seem in the minority and don't think his "Controlled Chaos" becomes mainstay in the NFL. To say more succinctly, I see Tebow II (not that there game is the same, just his success level in NFL).

My new motto is "SEC: Where 5 start QBs go to die". Something about having 5 star OL and WRs that make life tooooooo easy. In the NFL, your OL won't give you all day to throw the ball.

Just because Russell Wilson is a smallish QB and has succeeded in the NFL, does not mean every smallish QB in college, now has a path to the NFL. If you are small the odds are so tough.
[ Edited by OldJoe on May 12, 2014 at 11:16 AM ]
He's a young player who loves the game and wants to have fun. He's got a personality that comes off differently to fans that it does to his teammates, I'm sure. I want to see him succeed because I like to root for the underdog, and I would enjoy seeing the Browns finally be good again after all those fans have been through.
honestly if you're rooting against the guy actively, you're just a hater.

that lil "cash money" sign he did when he walked out....b******t. act like a professional. i wished we played the brownies. I don't like arrogant punks, so yes i wish he fails. i doubt he's got an ounce of humble pie
I think for me, it's not Manziel/Tebow/Jeremy Lin etc that I have problems with as people... It's that they represent how sports media chooses to cater to a different type of crowd.

Obviously things change, but IMO, people who are actual sports fans generally don't want "E! News" type coverage of athletes.
Originally posted by VinculumJuris:
I would like to see the Browns do well because I dislike the other teams in that division. That said, I hope Hoyer keeps the starting gig.

This. Hoyer was doing a good job so I hope he starts and Manziel learns for a year or two. I think it's better for the sport of football for these young guys to be successful. I like to see power shifts in divisions, it used to be Pit and Bal, now it's shifting to Cincy and CLE. On top of that, like I said, it's good for football, from the business side, he'll generate revenue plus better players means better teams means better games to watch
[ Edited by martysofresh on May 12, 2014 at 12:57 PM ]
Only against other NFC teams especially, Seahawks, Rams and Saints.
The Browns Spent Over $100,000 On A Study To Find The Best QB-
The Browns have long eyed the 2014 draft as the time to finally get a franchise quarterback. According to reports from both CBS Sports and ESPN, they spent over $100,000 to commission a thorough analytical study to determine the best QB available. The study's reported conclusion? Teddy Bridgewater is the way to go.

Cleveland apparently realized pretty early on that 2012 first-round pick Brandon Weeden wasn't the answer for a team that hasn't had stability at quarterback since the early '90s. Jason Campbell and Brian Hoyer last year? Both stopgaps. Between trading Trent Richardson for picks and being very, very bad, Cleveland obtained the assets to get what it wanted from a draft that appears strong at signal-caller. It just needed to decide who it wanted.

To that end, former team president Joe Banner commissioned the study at some point in 2013. Banner was forced out this past February, before the study's completion. But it had already been paid for, so why not see what it said?

According to CBS's Jason La Canfora, the study
"[evaluated] decades of successful NFL quarterbacks and [took] all sorts of variables into consideration...and ultimately pointed to Bridgewater having the best success rate of this year's group of quarterbacks."

This puts the Browns in an interesting position. With the fourth overall pick, they could nab Johnny Manziel, who appears to be the consensus top QB available. But if they really believe Bridgewater will be a better pro (and it's entirely possible this is disinformation, deliberately leaked), they could land him there and weather the scorn of observers who think that's too high. Or they could take another asset at No. 4, and pray that Bridgewater is still available at No. 26. Or they could do some trading. It's a tough call; identifying the players you like is just a small part of a successful draft.

The six-figure price tag is sure to occasion jokes, but $100,000 is a pittance compared to what landing a quality QB for the next decade is worth. If the study swayed front-office opinions, if they draft Bridgewater, and if the pick pays off, that's money well-spent. And if it all goes to hell? The $100,000 QB study becomes just another chapter in Browns lore.
http://deadspin.com/the-browns-spent-over-100-000-on-a-study-to-find-the-b-1573536826
Share 49ersWebzone